Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New to Coffee
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New to Coffee  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 1:54pm
Subject: Re: New to Coffee

Coffeenoobie Said:

I don't understand :

Commercial espresso machines are left on all the time. Mine is a light duty commercial machine, I don't wait for it to warm up because I leave it on.  I will probably get it on a timer after Christmas.  But you said you want it fast and neat and that is hard to do with open grinds even in a drip pot.

Posted November 20, 2012 link

I think what he means is that you need to clean out the espresso machine, where as a drip machine you can pour your cup of coffee and go leaving the spent grounds in it until you get home for the day if you are in a rush.

I don't think it takes long, but if you are manually grinding it surely will take more than you time.

A Clever Dripper and Capresso Infinity or Baratza Encore would work within your time frame plus an electric kettle. But now that isnt it espresso.

Less water, more grounds.
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:01pm

You can't make any hot drink in 2.5-4.5 minutes from cold as a single operation, as it takes longer than that to heat water to near boiling, and coffee takes at least a couple of minutes to grind, brew and do immediate clear up, even with an espresso machine.

What you can do is put a cheaper espresso machine on a timer so that it's on and warmed up in the morning when you get up - I do this with my BZ07, and I could have done it with my Gaggia Classic.   You still need to measure out beans, grind, tamp, pull the shot and add whatever you do to make the drink if you aren't drinking straight espresso, then switch off the machine and empty the portafilter, which probably takes 3 minutes or so.  Figure $200 for a second-hand machine (Saeco, Gaggia, etc.), $40 for a hand grinder and $20-30 for a timer.

The other obvious option is something like the Brazen drip coffee brewer, which has a built-in timer to turn itself on in the morning - it means filling the machine and setting it the night before, and leaving your ground coffee out in the machine overnight, but it does brew well, and the coffee would be ready in the carafe in the morning - pour into a thermos/travel mug and you're ready to leave the house.  $200 for the Brazen, $40 for a hand grinder.  Cheaper timer machines are out there, but not one I'd recommend.

An third option would be something like a Zojirushi hot water dispenser that can turn on on a timer ($100?), a hand grinder ($40) and an Aeropress or other manual brewer ($35) - hot water would be ready, so with an Aeropress you'd grind, brew for a couple of minutes, press out into mug, dump grounds from Aeropress and rinse.  Maybe 4 minutes total, and you can always replace coffee with tea with this option.

If you can cope with making coffee over slightly longer time, but with little interaction so you can do something else at the same time, then an electric kettle or a simpler auto-drip could make it cheaper - e.g. the Bonavita at $130 for a brewer.  Grind and Set up autodrip in the morning (or boil kettle), do whatever else you have to do before leaving, pour (brew) and go.

Which one works for you depends on exactly how much coffee (drip brewers work best for larger 2-4 mug batches) and what style you want to make, and how much interaction you think you'd want if you have more time to play in the future.  And you need to budget for decent beans with whichever method, although espresso is probably the most finicky there.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:29pm

You know, iced coffee is fast and easy to make ahead.  Then fill a large "to go" cup with concentrate and milk and head out the door.  That might be the best answer to your situation.  It is messy to brew it but you can do that on the weekend.   I let mine sit on the counter 24 hours in a glass pitcher and decant using a jelly bag to strain it. Then put the concentrate in a stainless steel water bottle and keep in the fridge to use all week.

Click Here (www.thenourishinggourmet.com)
http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/cold-brewed/

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
urville

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 3:21pm

dyqik Said:

You can't make any hot drink in 2.5-4.5 minutes from cold as a single operation, as it takes longer than that to heat water to near boiling, and coffee takes at least a couple of minutes to grind, brew and do immediate clear up, even with an espresso machine.

But in a capsule I can pop in walk away... i guess its more tot he reality that i cant spend more than that right there doing anything. total time can be longer. With a capsule and say aeroccino, I was thinking start it, walk away, come back mix in, bit of simple syrup, walk away.
urville

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 3:25pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

You know, iced coffee is fast and easy to make ahead.  Then fill a large "to go" cup with concentrate and milk and head out the door.  That might be the best answer to your situation.  It is messy to brew it but you can do that on the weekend.   I let mine sit on the counter 24 hours in a glass pitcher and decant using a jelly bag to strain it. Then put the concentrate in a stainless steel water bottle and keep in the fridge to use all week.

Click Here (www.thenourishinggourmet.com)
http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/cold-brewed/

hmm... this is interesting... but iced coffee inw yoming during december...

It seems maybe if i get REALLY good at it over weekend, i might be able to just barely brew it in enough time to not be late as crap everyday... the real way... hmmm
urville

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 3:25pm

Intrepid510 Said:

I think what he means is that you need to clean out the espresso machine, where as a drip machine you can pour your cup of coffee and go leaving the spent grounds in it until you get home for the day if you are in a rush.

I don't think it takes long, but if you are manually grinding it surely will take more than you time.

A Clever Dripper and Capresso Infinity or Baratza Encore would work within your time frame plus an electric kettle. But now that isnt it espresso.

It is unacceptable to grind ahead?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 3:28pm

you can add boiling water or milk to the concentrate to make it hot.  I am just trying to address your concerns by thinking outside the box.

The rule of 15 says ground coffee is stale in 15 minutes.

Coffeenoobie

urville

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 3:52pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

you can add boiling water or milk to the concentrate to make it hot.  I am just trying to address your concerns by thinking outside the box.

The rule of 15 says ground coffee is stale in 15 minutes.

wow... even if its say...  immediately vac packed?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 4:37pm

That is a hot topic for debate.  I suggest that is part of the reason people here don't like capsules.

Coffeenoobie

jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 6:43pm

Feel free to grind ahead if you must. That "rule" is more of a guideline--meant to apply to ground coffee left exposed to the elements, as far as I can tell--and can be defeated in various ways. For example, by grinding fresh coffee into a Ball jar or similar and then tightly sealing. By "defeat" I simply mean that you've bought yourself some time; jars (or, by extension, the various capsule systems) don't constitute a permanent end-around for staling.

Here's a relevant comparison of several single-serve espresso systems: Click Here (www.singleservecoffeeforums.com)

I haven't been that impressed by the Verismo either.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New to Coffee  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.453940153122)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+