Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help in deciding between the Gaggia classic and the Saeco Via Venezia
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 7:45pm
Subject: Re: Need help in deciding between the Gaggia classic and the Saeco Via Venezia

Coffeenoobie Said:

Amazon Grinders:
Hario-MSS-1B-Mini-Coffee-Grinder - Cheapest but hand powered
Baratza Preciso
Baratza Vario
Baratza Vario W (my fav)

Posted November 20, 2012 link

The Baratza Preciso Refurb is probably the best place to start, and as noted above, then Vario or Vario W.  All can be found refurb directly from Baratza, when available starting on Thursdays.  The Preciso is $239 and about $10-15 shipping.  Each available at the time of this reply.

Click Here (www.baratza.com)

The Rocky is difficult to finely adjust, the steps are too large.  Many threads searching "preciso rocky" on CG.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/551503

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:53pm
Subject: Re: Need help in deciding between the Gaggia classic and the Saeco Via Venezia

BrookNYC Said:

if I can convince my husband to tamp at that time.

Posted November 20, 2012 link

You just need to make tamping interesting and easy.. Get an Espro calibrated tamper. It "Clicks" when 30 lbs of force is applied. Then get a decent tamping stand.

Good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BrookNYC

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 7:25am

qualin Said:

You just need to make tamping interesting and easy.. Get an Espro calibrated tamper. It "Clicks" when 30 lbs of force is applied. Then get a decent tamping stand.

Good luck!

Posted November 23, 2012 link

This would be great if it wasn't $99. For that price he can use the pressurized portafilter on the days we are not up at the same time, when we are I shall attempt to make him a nice cup of tampered espresso.
D4F

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:28am

A great tamping article here

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/576380

A decent 58mm tamper is useful, vs the plastic that comes with Gaggia and many machines.  Several years ago tamping was felt more important than now if you see older articles.

D4F also at
BrookNYC

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:23am

D4F Said:

A great tamping article here

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/576380

A decent 58mm tamper is useful, vs the plastic that comes with Gaggia and many machines.  Several years ago tamping was felt more important than now if you see older articles.

Posted November 24, 2012 link

I plan on using a scale to figure out the weight  and ordering this tamper. Click Here (www.amazon.com)
D4F

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:27am

That should work well.

D4F also at
BrookNYC

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:32am

D4F Said:

That should work well.

How about this to store my beans and grinds. I know it's really not the norm but I will have to grind my beans the night before. I am not a patient mommy without a morning latte.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:18pm

BrookNYC Said:

I know it's really not the norm but I will have to grind my beans the night before.

No.  You don't.   See Babbie's Rule of Fifteens.

Grinding the night before will result in a) stale grounds, regardless of how you store it, and b) a time savings of from 10-45 seconds.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
D4F

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:22pm

I am not sure that I want to advise, or talk you in to any thing, after reading your other thread :)

"OK everyone I have decided to purchase the Gaggia Classic without the warranty from Amazon and the Preciso grinder from SCG. Warning if the Gaggia breaks down within the next two years I will become the most annoying member trying to get it fixed."

That said, you do not really want to grind the night before.  Get your beans ready and you can even put a single dose in the grinder pre weighed.  I do not keep beans in the grinder, but put in a dose at a time. That way, you can grind in the am, about 11 seconds.  Works even if you are not patient :)

If you did not spend the money yet on the grinder, the Preciso refurb directly from Baratza.com is $239 + about $12 shipping.

D4F also at
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:25pm

What I find works well are either Mason Jars or a clip-top jar..

The key trick to using these kinds of jars is that you want to fill them up as much as possible. You want to displace as much air as you can inside of them.
When the beans outgas, they'll replace the air inside with carbon dioxide and then as soon as the jar very lightly pressurizes, the outgassing process will stop.

The clip top jar or mason jar should be big enough to hold about one weeks worth of beans.

What I usually do is keep about a weeks worth of beans in the hopper of my grinder and use that up throughout the week.. I usually keep one or two of these clip-top jars
in the freezer and when the grinder is empty, I just empty the another one of these jars into the grinder.

That way, when I wake up in the morning, I just grab the portafilter, put it under the grinder and that's it. I grind coffee as I need it, I never store grinds.

When I buy beans fresh from the market, the first thing I do is rip open the bag and fill a clip-top jar and put it in the freezer, or into the hopper of the grinder, depending
on wether or not I'm buying a Kilogram or a pound of beans.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.476804018021)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+