Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Adding a head pressure gauge to my Brewtus
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adding a head...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
uziduzit
uziduzit
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 8:07am
Subject: Adding a head pressure gauge to my Brewtus

I recently purchased a used Expobar Brewtus, it is an earlier model with a single boiler pressure gauge only.  I was thinking about replacing the boiler pressure gauge with a double scale gauge that would give me both boiler and head presure. The gauge swap out looks fairly easy, however I do not know where to tap the line into the machine to get an accurate head pressure reading. If anyone has done a similar mod, I would appreciate some help.
 View Profile Link to this post
uziduzit
uziduzit

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 8:17pm
Subject: Re: Adding a head pressure gauge to my Brewtus

Glad to see so many people willing to help
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 9:06pm

And I'm sure your sarcastic second post will bring them to you in droves.

You know it's possible that nobody here owns an older Brewtus. Even if they do, there's a bigger chance they've never done this mod and don't want to give you advice on something they haven't done.

I've always found people on this site more than willing to help and quite knowledgeable.
uziduzit
uziduzit

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 9:12pm

This was my first question on this forum and I thought it was odd that no one had any suggestions. I'm not an expert on espresso machines but I would think they are all very similar in general design especially since this is a common e61 equipped machine. I belong to quite a few firearms forums and have always had a positive experience on them all. Being a newbie here I have not seen the same friendliness to new members. That was the reason for my sarcastic remark.
Troll
Troll
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus III
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 9:54pm

Don't know where you'd begin.  I have a newer brewtus.

Some people are like slinkies.  They're good for nothing but they will put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:18pm

Suggestion: Google advanced home-barista.com

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
uziduzit
uziduzit

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 4:26am

Thanks I will give it a shot.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 9:17am

uziduzit Said:

Being a newbie here I have not seen the same friendliness to new members. That was the reason for my sarcastic remark.

Posted November 20, 2012 link

Well, in a non sarcastic way, welcome. Very often, no reply to a tech question simply means that while in general, machines are kind of the same, if someone has not done the work then they do not want to give bad advice.

We try hard to welcome new people but if this was your first post, you put a tech question in the wrong forum, if you had placed it in the restoration and mod forum, it is very likely you would have had a much better response.  "Espresso Mods and Restorations"
This forum is much more often used for questions such as purchasing a machine, not how to work on them. This fact alone means that a much higher percentage of the visitors to THIS FORUM will not have an answer for you. If you had done a little reading around the sight and in the various forums prior to posting, it is very likely that you would have discovered this for yourself.

Also, very often, a post will be pushed down and out of sight fairly quickly so someone who is just taking a quick look at the topics, may not see your post. I will often try to find posts that have not been replied to just to let the poster know that they have been seen. Very often the single reply I give (or someone else gives) will be enough of a spur for someone who does not know a lot about a subject,  to take a look at a thread that they may not have looked at before to see what they might learn. While we have a lot of members, it is a much smaller percentage of members who have actually worked on a machine VS just use it.

Brew pressure is different than boiler pressure as I am sure you know. The boiler pressure is really an indicator of heat while the brew pressure is the pressure seen by the coffee in the PF. To add a gauge, you need to tap into the brew system after the pump and the OP valve but before the GH. Most often this is a copper line that can be cut and have a "T" inserted so you can use the taped line to route to your pressure gauge.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:42am

Good catch Cal, I should have thought of that as well.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
uziduzit
uziduzit

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 3:16pm

I posted there too a few days before I posted the other one. I will look at the copper line tonight and see where I can cut in. Thanks for the suggestion.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adding a head...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.437019109726)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+