Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New to Espresso
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New to Espresso  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
asou

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 6:49pm
Subject: Re: New to Espresso

qualin Said:

I think you would be hard pressed to find a machine that comes with an unpressurized portafilter for $150-$200. See if you can double or even triple your machine budget. Worst case scenario, see if you can
find a used machine of higher value. I don't usually recommend doing this because you don't know what you are getting and you don't know what to look for. However, if you buy something from this
forum, perhaps you can get a decent machine for a decent price which you know has been backflushed regularly, cleaned and serviced when needed instead of getting someones old clunker.

Posted November 13, 2012 link

I actually found a refurbished Gaggia for $175 that was unpressurized. However, I was going that route if I was skimping out on the machine and saving up for the DB, but you said that was overkill for me, so I won't be doing that. I'll get a nice SBDU and a nice grinder and call it a done deal! Possibly the Breville BES840XL(the PF isn't commercial size, 54mm, not a problem but I find that annoying) or the Rancilio Silvia.

qualin Said:

Brands like Gaggia, Baratza, Lelit, Nuova Simonelli, Mazzer, Macap, Compak, Rancilio.. They're all fairly common in the industry. For your volume, a doserless grinder will work fine. If you have any doubts on what to buy after seeing an ad in your local craigslist of Kijiji, make a post on the grinders forum and ask. Go down to your local coffee shop and unless they use a super-automatic,
make a note of which grinders they use. Also read up on doser vs doserless grinder and see what you would prefer. I personally recommend going doserless, but that's IMHO.

The Breville Smart Grinder is an entry level espresso-capable grinder, but if I had the choice, I'd pick the Vario over both of them, Rocky second when it comes to grind quality.

The grinder decision is going to be a hard decision... I'm highly considering the Vario but it's at the top of my budget right now and I can't find any used/refurbished ones. I'm trying to look for a refurbished one, but hey, black friday/cyber monday is right around the corner!Ok so in this department, I'm thinking:
  • Ascaso iMini - $249
  • Baratza Preciso - $299
  • Pasquini Lux - $305
  • Rancilio Rocky(doserless) - $339
  • Baratza Vario - $449

qualin Said:

Last time I responded to this question, we inadvertently caused a discussion which completely freaked the OP out. :-)

IMHO, Get started with a good machine and grinder which will give you some decent rewards for your hard work. See if you like making your own espresso and get familiar with screwing up. :-)
Find out what works and what doesn't work. Get your feet in there with a $750 budget at the very minimum! Also keep in mind that you should also budget for all of the little accessories you'll need
if you want to make milk drinks, clean your machine, etc. Any espresso equipment place will be quite glad to sell that stuff to you. Things like shot glasses, steaming pitchers, a grouphead brush,
espresso machine detergent, grinder cleaner, decalcifier tablets, steaming thermometer, knockbox, tamper, tamping stand, shot timer, dosing scale, etc.

A used Baratza Vario is an excellent place to start, then something like a SBDU (Single Boiler Dual Use) machine with a non-pressurized portafilter is a good way to get into this hobby economically.

A SBDU would be fine for your needs. The pain point when it comes to SBDU machines is switching from brewing to steaming. Since you won't be doing that all the time, it's not a big deal. The volume of drinks
you are looking at makes a SBDU machine a good match for your needs.

Well, IMHO a double boiler machine would be complete and total overkill for your needs. I personally noticed more of a change in my espresso when I went from the Rocky to the Mazzer instead of going from the
Rancilio Silvia to the Izzo Alex. IMHO, Stick with a middle of the line consumer grinder for now. If you spend too much time saving up for an expensive grinder and machine, you won't be able to have any decent
coffee at all!

Someone on this forum once said to me, "Buy Quality". At least that way when you go to sell your equipment to trade up, you can get some money back out of it to put towards your next machine when you upgrade.

Thanks a lot for your help and input, I appreciate it a lot!!!

Markarian Said:

Don't know how far you are from Philly, but you might want to check this bad boy out:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/app/3308893568.html

Posted November 14, 2012 link

That's an awesome deal, but I'm close to 3 hours away, I'll ask if they're willing to ship. Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 9:51pm
Subject: Re: New to Espresso

asou Said:

I actually found a refurbished Gaggia for $175 that was unpressurized.

OK, The pricing I commented on was only for new machines. If you can get refurb, that certainly is an option. Especially if the place selling it is willing to stand behind it. What kind of Gaggia machine is it?

asou Said:

saving up for the DB, but you said that was overkill for me, so I won't be doing that. I'll get a nice SBDU and a nice grinder and call it a done deal!

Well, that's a good place to start. I recommend sticking with an SBDU for at least six months to explore all of the limitations of the machine. Once you find that you want more, you can look at upgrading
piecemeal... first the grinder (Which I've noticed makes the bigger difference) then the machine. If you find that the coffee is just "Good enough" for you and you don't want to take it any further, you
haven't invested a fortune and you are getting coffee which you are enjoying.

asou Said:

Possibly the Breville BES840XL(the PF isn't commercial size, 54mm, not a problem but I find that annoying) or the Rancilio Silvia.

The reliability is questionable on Breville espresso machines. The Silvia is a much better buy when it comes to quality. When it comes to value, I wouldn't buy a Silvia new but I would buy one used.
I should know, I have one on consignment and these machines are designed to last. There is a broad support base for them since it seems like everyone owned one at one point in time, everyone
sells them and they have a good resale value. People will argue and say that they're overpriced and new, they are. They're one of the very few appliances that don't have any electronics in them,
which astounded me actually. I bet if the Silvia was manufactured in North America, they'd probably sell for half as much.

asou Said:

I'm highly considering the Vario but it's at the top of my budget right now and I can't find any used/refurbished ones.

Check here... "Buy, Sell and Trade"

There's actually someone selling a used Vario there.

Check the reviews on the grinders on this site for the ones you are considering. See what people have to say about them.

asou Said:

Ascaso iMini - $249

"Ascaso iMini Grinder"
8.1 rating out of 20 reviews.

asou Said:

Baratza Preciso - $299

"Baratza Virtuoso Preciso"
7.7 rating out of 14 reviews.

asou Said:

Pasquini Lux - $305

No reviews that I can see about this grinder on this site... yet.

asou Said:

Rancilio Rocky(doserless) - $339

"Rancilio Rocky"
8.4 rating out of 69 reviews.

I own owned of these. These grinders are built like a brick craphouse. They have excellent build quality, they are fairly "quiet" and they produce really good quality espresso.
Massive drawback to these grinders is that they use a stepped grind setting, so you have to adjust by dose as well as grind setting to get the pour you want. My primary
motivation for upgrading from it was mainly due to the lack of timed or weighted dosing and the stepped grind selection. Not to mention, you can't remove the bean hopper.

asou Said:

Baratza Vario - $449

"Baratza Vario Grinder"
8.6 rating out of 20 reviews.

This grinder is somewhat unique in that even one of the more experienced coffee geeks out there says that the Vario grinds just as well as some of the Titan class commercial
grinders costing nearly 4x the price. When a hardcore coffee geek shows love for what I consider to be a prosumer grade grinder, that's awesome. If I had the cash, I'd actually
consider buying a Vario-W for when I want to grind for drip or I just want to dial in a decaf blend. It's the same grinder, it just doses by weight instead of time.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New to Espresso  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.606770992279)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+