Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 217 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 4:59am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

So Whole Latte Love posted a video of Marc and Megan making a Cafe Crema. I was intrigued and am trying to replicate that drink on my BDB. Some times I just want a "cup of good coffee" (American style lol).

So far I have pulled 3 drinks and they are pretty good.

I have a Baratza Vario grinder and am at 5 M on the dial(s). My extraction pressure is about 3-4 bar and I am shooting for a 30 sec. "pull" (including  "standard" pre-infusion time/pressure). I am charging 16g in the BDB double basket

Is anyone else playing around with this drink?

If so how do you do it (Pressure, tamp, charge etc.)?

OBTW about 700 "real" shots on my machine and I have had it about 7 months. So far no problems.

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 6:09am

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

So Whole Latte Love posted a video of Marc and Megan making a Cafe Crema. I was intrigued and am trying to replicate that drink on my BDB. Some times I just want a "cup of good coffee" (American style lol).

So far I have pulled 3 drinks and they are pretty good.

I have a Baratza Vario grinder and am at 5 M on the dial(s). My extraction pressure is about 3-4 bar and I am shooting for a 30 sec. "pull" (including  "standard" pre-infusion time/pressure). I am charging 16g in the BDB double basket

Is anyone else playing around with this drink?

If so how do you do it (Pressure, tamp, charge etc.)?

OBTW about 700 "real" shots on my machine and I have had it about 7 months. So far no problems.

Cheers,

Dave

Posted May 24, 2013 link

3-4 bar?? Seems way too low, you should be around 9 or so
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 8:35am

CMIN Said:

3-4 bar?? Seems way too low, you should be around 9 or so

Posted May 24, 2013 link

9 bar for Espresso, but, this is, supposedly, like a throw back to the early days of Italian Press coffee (at least that's what I gathered from the video) so it's ground much coarser and, thus, it doesn't develop the 9 bar back pressure. It comes out better (to me) than an Americano, but, it's still a "work in process".  

Here is the video URL:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kyrhLPH-ejk"

Anyway, I am always "putzing around" lol looking for new ways to experience coffee.

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 8:39am

16 grams in a standard Breville 900 double charge basket? ya, 3 to 4 bar would be about as much as one could expect.  There would be little to no stable structure to cause any more pressure resistance - just the blockage of 'grains' of coffee at the screen surface.

As toward how I came up with the number Michael; Josh notated the key press sequence directly above my post for the count and mental gymnastics (times 10) of the resulting displayed number. I remember historic information (here, HB, or CS AUS ?) relating the counter tallied cycles of 7 seconds by manual, single, or double volumetric button depress.

Of course, I may have a serious loss of oxygen to brain cells incident in progress... however, even though it is a large number over a relatively short period of time, I can look back at the day after day of my life and honestly acknowledge - I may have made a dietary mistake in buying such a toy with such overwhelming permutations.  (but, My Doctor already knew I wouldn't give up coffee...)
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 8:58am

For those that have had other espresso machines, which machine would you say the BDB compares to in steaming milk? How long would it take to steam enough milk for two lattes?
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 9:56am

Hey Vinnie,
I wouldn't say my old Krupps, nor *$s Saeco would qualify by your criteria.
However, I can get 4 to 6 ounces of milk to 140F or above with loads of microfoam in less time than it takes to pull a doubleshot. A larger container, more liquid mass... some bit longer. Depends of course on how you parse the workflow.
One thing I can't repeat often enough from my experience with spray drier nozzles - and now here making milk drinks with coffee, clean steam nozzles on espresso machines can make profound differences to those which are only lightly fouled.
-/Chris
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 1:15pm

cuznvin Said:

For those that have had other espresso machines, which machine would you say the BDB compares to in steaming milk? How long would it take to steam enough milk for two lattes?

Posted May 24, 2013 link

The BDB gives you great control and consistency, but it is a bit slow (slower than the Silvia, for instance). I do one latte in 25-30 seconds and repeat for a second latte, steaming while I pull the shot. That way I can build each drink with fresh espresso and milk. Having faster steam wouldn't speed things up much.

I would say that many machines provide greater volumes of steam, but few are as dry and controlled. Keep in mind I've only used 10 or so different machines.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 1:17pm

biochemgawd Said:

The BDB gives you great control and consistency, but it is a bit slow (slower than the Silvia, for instance). I do one latte in 25-30 seconds and repeat for a second latte, steaming while I pull the shot. That way I can build each drink with fresh espresso and milk. Having faster steam wouldn't speed things up much.

I would say that many machines provide greater volumes of steam, but few are as dry and controlled. Keep in mind I've only used 10 or so different machines.

Posted May 24, 2013 link

ten compared to my zero is a lot
Zevi

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 1:46pm

cuznvin Said:

Posted May 24, 2013 link

This may help you
JMFishtown
JMFishtown

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 6:48pm

For how long it takes to make two latte's it all depends on how 'classic' you're making them.

I do this most mornings and I use about 4-6 oz of milk for each latte.

It takes me about 20 seconds to grind, distribute, and tamp. I lock in the portafilter; pour my milk and then start steaming, once I have the steam on I start the shot and they tend to finish at the same time (about 38 seconds).  I pour, knock, wipe, and start the process over again.  With everything involved it probably takes me 2-4 minutes to make both latte's.
showing page 217 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.437803030014)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+