Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
1atom12

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Roaster: Zach and Dani's
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:59pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

selzoc Said:

How did you remove the insert?  I tried using a chopstick for leverage to unscrew the spouts, but broke it :).  Maybe a screwdriver would work better...

Posted December 14, 2011 link

I used a corkscrew...  pulled it right out...
 View Profile Link to this post
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 1:51am

some of the aussies over at cs have been using VST baskets for a snug fit, and (memory is shaky on this one), Synesso baskets for a looser fit.  triples will only fit a bottomless PF.  my BDB arrives tomorrow, (according to the shipping tracker), but i don't get to play with it until christmas.  :(:

If by "cheapish looking group head", you are referring to it's apparent lack of mass, keep in mind that in this case, significant mass is not required for temperature stability, as this is achieved in other ways, as opposed to large thermal mass, like the old e61's rely on.

mostly posting right now, to get subscribed to this threaed.  i've been a member here since '04, am perfectly good with UBB code and yet... i still don't know how to subscribe to a thread without posting to it.

-peter
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 8:49am

1atom12 Said:

I used a corkscrew...  pulled it right out...

OK, I managed to unscrew the spouts using a screwdriver for leverage.  Popped that ugly plastic right out :)
Taranto

Grinder: Mazzer Super Luigi
Drip: Bodum Chambord
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 9:03am

I removed the black thing the first day of use. Yes, it's supposed to be for thermal stability, but not necessary if the entire portafilter is heated up evenly with the grouphead. My portafilter gets plenty hot by conduction and if you want it hotter you could always run some water through it.

I have fit my old gaggia double basket, and synesso style double and triple baskets with no problems in fit. They do however make tightening the portafilter a little more difficult though. I think the baskets are a fraction of a millimeter taller when sitting on the portafilter's ridge. But I'm not going back.

Anyone heard any more news about a bottomless portafilter?

Hope this helps.

-Greg
SHCoffee
SHCoffee
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Wega/Compak K3 Elite
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 9:33am

As an update:  I received my VST 18g basket yesterday.  It definitely fits the BDB portafilter.  It is a tight fit with respect to circumference not depth.  So it takes some muscle to pop back out.  

Here's my take on the new basket.  (Please understand that I'm still very much a novice Barista):  Based on what I had read, I expected that I would have to make some adjustment to my grind/dose regime with the VST compared to the standard Breville double, single-walled basket.  However, I didn't realize just how different it would be.  After some experimenting, I'm now dosing 1 g more (19g instead of 18g), grinding at a notably finer setting (one that would have almost choked the machine with the standard basket), and getting a better extraction.  My pulls are now starting at about 13"  (including pre-infusion) instead of 11".  The pressure is at 9 to 9.5 bar instead of 9.5 to 10 bar.  I'm getting a nice honey color during the entire extraction - about 37" for a double.  I'm using a local espresso blend ("Meritage" from Cuvee Coffee).  It's a very tasty blend.  I've read that the VST is supposed to help with consistency.  As I use it over the course of the next week, I'll report what I find.

On the topic of the naked pf.  I read on CS that they are close to having them available (at least in the Antipodes).
1atom12

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Roaster: Zach and Dani's
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 10:59am

Update - New, calibrated machine received.  Much better!  I had to make a few adjustments to grind, tamp and dose compared to the uncalibrated machine, but the results today have been spectacular!  I highly recommend you either perform the OPV valve adjustment yourself, or take advantage of the exchange program offered by Breville USA...

Now bring on the naked portafilter Breville!!!
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 5:13pm

Vetallist Said:

- If you unplug the machine timer resets, which is a downer. Vario had the same issue in its first run, which was addressed in subsequent update a year later. Not sure why Breville couldn't include a basic memory unit to retain this and other settings.

You either need a battery-backed up DRAM or an NVRAM for that, but it is a pretty cheap upgrade. Looks like an engineering oversight to me.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lbp775

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 9:47pm

I'm so glad this thread has been created.  There's nothing worse than hopping on a thread to get information on how to use your newly purchased machine and coming back with a bunch of reasons why others do not like it.  Kinda makes you second guess your decision.

I am still an enthusiastic novice who has been using this machine for past 3 days and so far I'm happy with it.  I have already adjusted my OPV and find that the slow steaming performance is actually helping me create better microfoam.  My only gripe at this point is how milk will immediately bake on the steam wand no matter how fast you try to wipe it down.  I wish there was some way to upgrade that to a no-burn in the future.
espresso_drinker

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 10:04pm

lbp775 Said:

My only gripe at this point is how milk will immediately bake on the steam wand no matter how fast you try to wipe it down.  I wish there was some way to upgrade that to a no-burn in the future.

Posted December 15, 2011 link

The only way I can get off the baked milk to to use a wet rag and scrub while the tip is still hot.
Has anyone found a no-burn that works for the BDB?
espresso_drinker

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 10:08pm

SHCoffee Said:

As an update:  I received my VST 18g basket yesterday.  It definitely fits the BDB portafilter.  It is a tight fit with respect to circumference not depth.  So it takes some muscle to pop back out.

Posted December 15, 2011 link

With 18G of Meritage in the VST basket, is the spent puck is less likely to stick to the BDB's
dispersion screen than with the stock double/non pressurized basket?  It's not a super big
deal but my puck is almost always stuck to the screen after extraction with the stock basket.
showing page 2 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.462260007858)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+