Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 239 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:32pm
Subject: Re: Different baskets

sqroot3 Said:

What typical dose are you using in the 15g vst, and how wet are your pucks?

Posted August 19, 2013 link

im at 15g from beans to ground. the puck are not bone dry

i get super dry pucks during my dial in, specially too finer that almost choke the machine those are super dry

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 7:24am

I was going for using the same tamp pressure and grind for the single and double, and the VSTs were the closest I got to that working. Since my 58mm is a calibrated tamp and the 40mm was not it's hard to say I was doing it perfectly the same, but I'd say it can be done.

Another option for a smaller tamp is just getting a different tamp bottom to screw onto the handle. For a home user that's not a big deal.

As for the pucks- always soggy. 15gm in a VST 15 was soggy, and 7gm in the 7 also soggy. That's just my experience. So there was mess involved that some may consider a deal breaker. You might be able to up dose the 15 (it is sold as a 14-16g) and get rid of that, I dunno.
carz07
carz07

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 7:56am

PrescottCR Said:

I was going for using the same tamp pressure and grind for the single and double, and the VSTs were the closest I got to that working. Since my 58mm is a calibrated tamp and the 40mm was not it's hard to say I was doing it perfectly the same, but I'd say it can be done.

Posted August 20, 2013 link

hi PrescottCR so vst 7g and 15g will have the same grind setting and even the same tamp pressure?

PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 11:11am

carz07 Said:

hi PrescottCR so vst 7g and 15g will have the same grind setting and even the same tamp pressure?

Very close, I wouldn't say exact tamp pressure but if you get a good grind for one it'll most likely be workable for the other. The 7g is a tricky little basket, I used a plastic collar to guide the coffee into the center which really helped. I made the collar from a scoop that came with one of my Hario cone filter holders, by cutting it making a funnel. That was a while ago, but my memory is that the grind was workable between the 15 and 7 at the time.
carz07
carz07

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 6:17pm

PrescottCR Said:

Very close, I wouldn't say exact tamp pressure but if you get a good grind for one it'll most likely be workable for the other. The 7g is a tricky little basket, I used a plastic collar to guide the coffee into the center which really helped. I made the collar from a scoop that came with one of my Hario cone filter holders, by cutting it making a funnel. That was a while ago, but my memory is that the grind was workable between the 15 and 7 at the time.

thanks for the input, additional basket and tamper cost vs 2-3 15g waste, i might stick to 2-3 15g waste hehehe
thanks PrescottCR

dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 9:41pm

This near-perfect temperature control that the BDB gives is almost boring in a sense, it's sooo good.  I had to scratch the itch for something a little more manual... So I got a La Pavoni Europiccola, MY2000, with pressurestat and single 1000W power switch, but with a pre-millennium group.  The BDB is in the main home, and the Pavoni is in the lake house/crash pad, where I stay for work trips.  It has ZERO temperature control, but great predictability as long as you stick to a set routine.  Any more than two or three consecutive shots and it's too hot.  Of the three, the first is a little cool, the second is usually perfect, and the third is a little hot, but still good.  Then shut it down, walk away and let it cool.  Period.  Not so, with the awesome BDB.  Truth be told, I usually only do one shot with the Pavoni. The ability to "trim" the pressure with the manual lever is very very nice... rudimentary pressure profiling, with easy controllability.  It's a big step up in the cup, from the SBDU machines I replaced it with, and a nice balance to the always perfect, super easy, no-brainer BDB.  

Hey, four out of my five (mostly old beaters) cars are manuals, but even the nice one, a powerful german luxury sport sedan is a six-speed manual.  

-peter
 View Profile Link to this post
bartholomew

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 10:17am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

I recently started experiencing a drip from the hot water spigot on my BDB. I called up Breville and, without hesitation, they told me they would send out another machine. Today it arrived, and I see in the manual insert a reference to "6 month certified remanufactured limited product warranty." Should I be concerned that this machine is remanufactured? Any experience of what that means in Breville-land? Is this standard operating procedure for replacement under the warranty? Thanks.
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 10:39am

I would think that remanufactured would = all known issues are fixed and the machine has been tested.

Of course, that's an assumption on my part and we all know where that gets you. Does it work as advertised? That's really all that matters IMHO.
B747VET

Espresso: BES900XL/B
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 11:13am

I agree.  I would only ask whether you had a /B model before, and whether this rebuilt machine is a /B model.  As long as you received apples and apples, that should be OK.  Also, if they "upgraded" you to a /B model, that is certainly OK.

I also had one warranty issue about 8 months ago and have been totally satisfied with the Breville solution.  I only wish Lexus had 1/2 the business integrity of Breville.
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 12:10pm

B747VET Said:

I agree.  I would only ask whether you had a /B model before, and whether this rebuilt machine is a /B model.  As long as you received apples and apples, that should be OK.  Also, if they "upgraded" you to a /B model, that is certainly OK.

Posted August 31, 2013 link

Re refurbs, in general, i don't have a single problem with FACTORY refurbs, IOW refurbs sold and backed by the manufacturer.  If i were to buy another vario, i would buy a refurb (i was a launch customer back in 2009, and they didn't have refurbs when i bought mine), from baratza.  same with breville... if the ever offer factory refurbs for general sale themselves.

B747VET Said:

... and have been totally satisfied with the Breville solution.  I only wish Lexus had 1/2 the business integrity of Breville.

Posted August 31, 2013 link

not surprising breville is bending over backwards though.  they took a HUGE gamble hiring a real espresso geek, (phil), giving him power to make important decisions as to the features and capability of the product, trying to make a machine that would appeal enough to real espresso geeks, that it would break into the real espresso geek market.  and to that particular end, as far as i can tell, they have failed.  miserably.  not because they have not made a machine capable of world class espresso.  they most certainly have.  this thing has to be one the biggest breakthroughs the world of espresso has ever known... $6000 drinks at a $1000 price.  yet?  ...there is virtually ZERO penetration into the serious geek segment of the market, where they are probably more beholden to chrome and brass than they should be.  this thread is the biggest internet resource for this machine in north america, and 95% of the content is remedial,  "i just bought this bitchin' machine, some VST baskets, (waste of money), and a $100 calibrated tamper, (also a waste of money), why am i getting 14 second pours with my smart grinder on it's finest setting?"*

breville has a LOT at stake here.  they have sold a lot of machines, to a lot of newbs, and only a handful to some not-so-newbs, and there have been some teething pains.  if they stop bending over backwards to support it, all of those folks will evaporate, they'll NEVER penetrate the serious geek crowd,  (i'll pinch my nose and buy a GS/3 or a used single group Cyncra), and this little experiment in affordable, world class espresso will die on the vine.

*nothing wrong with being a newb, BTW.  nothing whatsoever.  welcome to a lifelong hobby of great reward and challenge.  i only bring up newbs because they seem to be by far, the largest segment of BDB purchasers.  by. far.  when i suspect, breville was hoping to build some street cred with folks like the H-B crowd, and, well, they haven't.

-peter
showing page 239 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.470290184021)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+