Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Stupid Question? Silvia vs. Crossland CC1
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Stupid Question?...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:01pm
Subject: Re: Stupid Question? Silvia vs. Crossland CC1

Markarian Said:

... It seems to me the Silvia is a good machine that's just been way undercut and needs to be repriced or redesigned to stay competitive.

Posted November 9, 2012 link

Despite all that it probably still has the best resale value. Your insight hasn't reached the heads of all people yet.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 12:47am

Kind of makes me wonder why the Oscar has such awful resale value. Even the used ones in decent condition sell for less than half of the new cost.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 1:14am

Markarian Said:

Kind of makes me wonder why the Oscar has such awful resale value. Even the used ones in decent condition sell for less than half of the new cost.

Posted November 10, 2012 link

Well, I'm just going to speak from the heart and say IN MY HUMBLE OPINION...

I think the Oscar looks like a very cheap machine, at least in a first impression sort of way. If it wasn't for the black plastic, this machine could have easily had beige
plastic and looked like it would have been at home in a late 1980's era kitchen. Of course, we're probably all used to seeing beige plastic things eventually fade into
that really ugly shade of yellowish/brownish, which is why all plastic computer cases went to using black instead, the Oscar is no exception to this either.  
If it did come in Beige plastic, I'm pretty sure that very few people would think about buying one. (I think Rancilio once made a white plastic SBDU at one point in time!)

It probably doesn't help that Nuova Simonelli didn't put a boiler pressure gauge on it, while most other machines of its class have it. They probably didn't feel that it
was important and kept costs down.

When you consider that the "trend" for higher-end appliances is to have stainless steel or brushed steel because it gives a much more "Commercial" feel to it, this
counts as a massive perception in value and quality. This is why Breville and Calphalon sell so many appliances at inflated prices. (I should know, almost everything
in my kitchen is from Breville!)

This is probably why the Silvia not only sells well but also seems to hold its value, by it's gracious use of stainless steel everywhere as opposed to cheaper SBDU
machines. If the Silvia was made out of plastic or had a plastic bodyshell, I'm sure that it would be at least $200 cheaper. I think it suffers from "Bling" factor, along
with other kinds of espresso machines.

The one other thing I think we're failing to see here is that we're all very fussy people in this forum. What we would consider to be unacceptable, someone else
would find to be perfectly acceptable, they wouldn't mind if their drink is a little sour or bitter because the temperature isn't perfect. Heck, people go out and buy
Super-Auto machines and use them, there is a huge market for them.. there's a good reason for that.. because it is "Good enough", but in our eyes, it is
"Unacceptable".

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 1:31am

The plastic really put me off for a while before I got it, I'll admit. Now I really appreciate its looks; it's grown on me. I think the thing is for me, aside from costing twice as much, the home machines that most of the people on this forum use all look the same to me. The Duetto, the Brewtus, the Rocket...they're all silver cubes with exposed brewheads that threaten to brand my hand if I'm not careful. That's not to say I don't want one, I just wish there was a little more variation in design. Is there a term for these silver cubes, anyway? If the Mac 2000V didn't need to be plumbed in, I would have bought one of those. I'm very fussy, it's why I'm here in the first place, and why I went from a steam moka "espresso" machine to an Oscar in six months. I've already got my sights set on an E61 machine for the holidays, but also quietly wondering if I should take the plunge and buy the Mac, even though I'd have to drill a hole in my sink.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 2:00am

Markarian Said:

If the Mac 2000V didn't need to be plumbed in, I would have bought one of those.

There are a lot of these NS MAC machines for sale on the used market where I live.

It was tempting to buy one for a little while, but for me what didn't put me off was the plumb-in requirement, it was the size. These are BIG machines. (At least IMHO)
Not to mention, I'm quite leery about spending a little under $1k to get a machine which is nearly 15-20 years old. Who knows how it was used and abused.

Markarian Said:

I've already got my sights set on an E61 machine for the holidays, but also quietly wondering if I should take the plunge and buy the Mac, even though I'd have to drill a hole in my sink.

I would probably recommend buying a new E61 machine with warranty and support. Those MAC machines are well built, but they're getting old now. The problem isn't the parts, they
share a lot of parts with the newer Appia machines from my understanding. The issue is mainly with the proprietary electronics, which are getting harder to replace, at least from what I've heard.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 6:16pm

Markarian Said:

The Duetto, the Brewtus, the Rocket...they're all silver cubes with exposed brewheads that threaten to brand my hand if I'm not careful.

I have not burned my myself the first time on the group on Duetto in the 2 years I have owned it. I have burned a few times on the end of the hot water wand however. The lever for the group puts your hand in close proximity to the business end of the hot water wand. Besides Speedster and Faema E-61 machines I would just as soon have one chunk of stainless as the next.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 7:17pm

Pretty obvious Rancillio doesn't care about the consumer market, the Silvia and Rocky have both been barely touched through the years and both are out of date vs other competitors.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 2:19am

qualin Said:

... The one other thing I think we're failing to see here is that we're all very fussy people in this forum. What we would consider to be unacceptable, someone else would find to be perfectly acceptable, they wouldn't mind if their drink is a little sour or bitter because the temperature isn't perfect. Heck, people go out and buy Super-Auto machines and use them, there is a huge market for them.. there's a good reason for that.. because it is "Good enough", but in our eyes, it is "Unacceptable".

I wouldn't call CoffeeGeeks fussy. I like to think of us as gourmets and well informed. Just because a lot of people are contend with something doesn't mean it's really good. But apart from that, your right of course in your view that personal tastes differ widely.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
hydrologic

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 1:32pm

I had a Sylvia for years and loved it. Great resale value also!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 2:20pm

I like Oscar also, he has grown on me.  I like what I am getting in the cup and the powerful steam.  I like the no burn shell and they did come in silver and off white as well as red.  I wanted the best espresso machine I could get on the cheap and Oscar was it for me.  I am not sorry I didn't get a shiny one as my first machine.  I think I would be more intimidated and scared to touch it much less toss it in the trunk for family vacations like I do Oscar.  (being used makes it less stress if he gets a scratch on him) His price reflects people liking the Stainless for the kitchen and I for one am glad I could get a low volume commercial machine for under $500.  I could not have gotten another low volume commercial machine for the same money.  And I will keep him around in that function if I ever do get a shiny one.  He is pretty damn handy for catering events.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Stupid Question?...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.49244594574)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+