Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
saeco aroma water, coffee ground
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > saeco aroma...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:40pm
Subject: Re: saeco aroma water, coffee ground

Wow, I've been schooled. Perhaps I should have just sat this one thread out.

personhuang Said:

Is it still not good enough to get rid of pressurized PF and use non-pressurized PF?

Posted November 7, 2012 link

That's up to you. I'd start by drinking the coffee you are making with a pressurized portafilter and then compare that to what a cafe makes for you and taste the difference.

If you are fine with what the machine is making, then stick with it. If you are genuinely curious about making espresso like the way they make it in the cafes and you are able
to spend the extra money, then yes, I'd say go non-pressurized and get yourself a decent grinder.

Now, you dropped a dollar figure, where in the world are you? If you are in the USA or Canada, you would probably need to budget at least ~$250-$300 on an espresso-capable
grinder with a motor. Manual grinders are about $100 cheaper. There are a huge variety of grinders to choose from, but I would probably recommend that you contact a local coffee
equipment supplier who sells espresso equipment and buy whatever they can support.

For example, if you can find a Baratza dealer in your area, that would be a good place to start.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
personhuang

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 11:33pm

Thanks qualin for your explanation.
I am in US now. The cafe shops in town are not good. I've been to Seattle and tasted some good reviewed cafe. It's my motivation to have an espresso like that. I can taste the sweetness in the latte. Also the smell is wonderful. Currently, I cannot make it by my current equipment.
Can a good manual grinder also generate similar fine ground for a good espresso? Since I usually make a cup of latte only, I am fine with some human labor.

Thank you!
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:19am

personhuang Said:

I've been to Seattle and tasted some good reviewed cafe. It's my motivation to have an espresso like that. I can taste the sweetness in the latte. Also the smell is wonderful. Currently, I cannot make it by my current equipment.

Posted November 7, 2012 link

I'd recommend stopping by Seattlecoffeegear and having a chat with them about equipment.

First of all, you have to understand that the cafes use considerably more expensive grinders. That makes all of the difference when preparing espresso. I noticed a very large change in the taste of my coffee when I went
from a Rancilio Rocky to a Mazzer. The former being about $350 here in Canada.

Now, you don't have to spend $1000 on a grinder to get cafe quality espresso, but you do have to spend at least half that on a grinder which can match cafe quality, if you are buying new. If you are buying used, you can
pick up a used commercial grinder for a fraction of the cost and as long as you are willing to change the burrs and clean it, you can save a lot of money.

Since there isn't that much that can go wrong with a grinder, I'd recommend looking at the buy/sell section of this forum. There's always someone selling theirs.

I've read lots of reviews about how the Baratza Vario can grind coffee at the same quality, fineness and consistency of large commercial grade grinders of nearly four times the price.

I would only consider a manual grinder if budget was a big issue.

I realize that you probably recently purchased your Saeco, but if you can afford it, I would consider upgrading to a machine which doesn't use a pressurized portafilter and has a 3-way valve. A Rancilio Silvia is a great
starter machine (At least IMHO) as long as you understand the caveats behind temperature surfing. If you can find one which is used and cared for, they're good value for the money. Purchased new, not so much.

I found that I could get very close to cafe quality coffee (Or in some cases, superior to it) with a Rancilio Silvia, but again.. the grinder is key here.

All in all, don't let the sticker shock get to you.. I know it did for me.. If you can budget $1000 for both a machine, grinder and accessories, that's reasonable and that gives you lots of options.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 5:11am

If you want to go for a non-pressurized portafilter, the minimum I would recommend for a grinder is the Baratza Preciso (I recommend this naked model PF from Seattle Coffee Gear: Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com))
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > saeco aroma...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.373030185699)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+