Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Buying Used? Good or bad?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Buying Used?...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 12:15pm
Subject: Re: Buying Used? Good or bad?

If I could not move my oscar I would consider putting a tube through the flap that stuck down into the tank, then add a hose and a funnel to the tube when needed and fill the funnel rather than move Oscar.  It is so easy to fill the tank using my hose sprayer I almost believe I don't need plumbed in.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 12:34pm

Well, I decided against buying a used Oscar on eBay. I was a little too nervous about not knowing (trusting?) the history of the machine.

Though, I must say upgraditis is a nasty bug. As soon as I seriously began considering the La Nuova Era Cuadra, of course there are other machines just a little better for just a little more. I realized I could rationalize my decision over and over again, so I just decided to pull the trigger. I ended up getting a Rocket Cellini from Chris' Coffee for a GREAT price. I can't wait to get it in the mail!!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 12:44pm

Upgradeitis is horrible. I think you did fine.  Just be happy with whatever you have, that is the secret to happiness.  And I am sure that is a fine machine.  Just like my Oscar  :).

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 1:06pm

tglodjo Said:

Well, I decided against buying a used Oscar on eBay. I was a little too nervous about not knowing (trusting?) the history of the machine.

Though, I must say upgraditis is a nasty bug. As soon as I seriously began considering the La Nuova Era Cuadra, of course there are other machines just a little better for just a little more. I realized I could rationalize my decision over and over again, so I just decided to pull the trigger. I ended up getting a Rocket Cellini from Chris' Coffee for a GREAT price. I can't wait to get it in the mail!!!!

Posted November 7, 2012 link

CONGRATS!
YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY FOR A LONG TIME.
That is a very nice maachine and it should serve you well for a long time B-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 5:20am

Guess that's why we never see the Cuadra. "For just a little more, I could get a..."
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 8:03pm

When buying a Cuadra, check that the cord supplied with it is a decent 14 gauge cord. If the cord is removable check that the IEC connector on the machine that the cord plugs in to is rated for 16amps, not 8. If it has the little fuse in a drawer in the IEC connector, check that it is a 15 amp fuse, not a 10.  Many Cuadras seem to be getting sold in North America with the under-rated european parts that are only good for half the amperage of the 110Volt american machines.
Additionally, adjust the relief valve down to 10 BAR(OPV) before the first backflush and be prepared to replace the cheesy little sacrificial relay with a decent solid state relay soon after the warranty ends.  The cheap little relays that come with the machine do help the tiny little pressostats live longer, but the relays themselves don't last long.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Buying Used?...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.419214963913)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+