Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Swapping out the BDB
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Swapping out the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 8:11am
Subject: Re: Swapping out the BDB

Just got the Err1 message again. this time it was after a backflush. I stopped doing them daily on a hunch that it might be that. But I still do once per week. this morning, backflush with cleaning disc (has a hole in it so creates less pressure that a blind and even less pressure then pulling a shot. I hit the power button because I was done cleaning and the Err1 appeared. Unplug, replug, machine just starts heating up again as if nothing happened. VOltage readings in the norm between 199 and 122.

Well, I'm done. Not blaming the machine because my issue is unusual, but I think another machine will be less sensitive, and I'll want less computer control. I also think that with a more standard machine bought from a good source will allow me to problem solve with a TECH rather than a REP IF I have a problem... Looking forward to checking out Clives...
 View Profile Link to this post
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 8:48am

The mini has the optional pre infusion chamber because its not plumbed in. Where as the v2 has pre infusion via line pressure from your water service. Endo on this site has the mini, so you can probably pm him in regards to function . With the v2, when you start your shot, line pressure soaks the puck for a predetermined time set by you, then the pump starts and begins the shot. One thing i love about the spaz is its dead easy to program the machine and change settings at any time. Its also a very quiet machine because of the rotary pump.
 Good luck at Clives.
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 12:14pm

Well... it's done. I have accepted the refund from Breville and I have ordered a Mini-Vivaldy from Idrinkcoffee.

The match between the Breville and my household did not work so what conclusions can I draw: Well, something keeps tripping the computor mechanism in the BDB, what is doing that is unknown. Therefore I remain gunshy regarding any appliance that has a computor board involved, with the exception of my computor itself, as maybe it is too sensitive for my household.

Thoughts: Breville canada was amazing, I appreciated the service, their attempts at finding answers and at least fixing problems through replacement or refund. They were always respectful. They are limited though because they do not have tech support or immediate support of product engineers. Therefore actually fixing something is not possible.

I have chosen the Mini Vivaldy because it is tried and true, has a GREAT reputation, and has fixable electronics rather than a motherboard. My understanding is that this machine has ever so slightly fewer returns then others and techs are appreciative of the comercial componentry. It meets my needs. Idrinkcoffee has a two year warrenty that includes shipping cost if there is a problem that needs it (I bloody well hope not). They also do phone support and provide parts. They also added accessories for free which helped push the decision along. If problems arise I now feel like I will be in touch with a place that can diagnose and fix things.

As usual, the coffeegeek community has been extreamly helpful and helped me learn a lot and try different things....

I am really looking forward to the Vivaldy now!!!!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 12:18pm

I am really sorry that it did not work out.  And that is one down side to getting computer chips in everything...

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 1:24pm

Congratulations on your new machine.  Did you buy the incredibly overpriced box often referred to as a timer with a wire coming out of it?
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 8:53pm

zedex Said:

Congratulations on your new machine.  Did you buy the incredibly overpriced box often referred to as a timer with a wire coming out of it?

Posted November 7, 2012 link

They included it for free. And bought the pre fusion chamber and they traded one of the ports filters with a naked and a triple.
danfrommass

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 8:26am

I saw the quote from Phil McKnight as well and was baffled.  I just hit my fourth Err1 failure this morning - so between you and me we have beaten the purported worldwide failure rate. This last machine has been in my house about 6 weeks.  I am at a loss.  I love the coffee that I make with this, but am tired of packing, unpacking and setting it up.

How did you get Breville to refund the purchase price?  It might be time to give up on this fragile model.
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 11:15am

danfrommass Said:

I saw the quote from Phil McKnight as well and was baffled.  I just hit my fourth Err1 failure this morning - so between you and me we have beaten the purported worldwide failure rate. This last machine has been in my house about 6 weeks.  I am at a loss.  I love the coffee that I make with this, but am tired of packing, unpacking and setting it up.

How did you get Breville to refund the purchase price?  It might be time to give up on this fragile model.

Posted November 24, 2012 link

Very sorry that I missed your post. Must have been after a vacation and I forgot to go back to this thread so I never saw it. Have you sorted it out? I would love to hear about your journey. I was dealing with a manager at Breville Canada, Gaetan. I have to give him credit, he was awesome with customer service issues. That is also how I learned that even he can't even get proper information on why this was occurring. I was still under warranty and he figured that they are unable to find a solution so he decided to offer a refund. I am really glad I took it.

Funny story, as I was calling places about machines, one guy had just gotten off the phone with someone else who had swapped out 4 BDB's!

I think the BDB has introduced a new idea, the idea of high end consumer grade (as opposed to prosumer), made to produce excellent coffee for the home. I think they are on the right track and the coffee was amazing. But they have some growing pains to work out that I hope they manage to fix.

I ended up going with the Mini Vivaldi (the other machine I was exploring was the duetto). This machine has a low return rate and is appreciated by techs. Music to my ears as I know that it will be possible to fix it within warranty (2 years!), and beyond. This has become important to me. I fear higher electronics for now so I opted against the Dream. Early adopter once, now someone else can pay to work out the bugs on that one.

The coffee is just as good as the BDB. I got to compare them side by side for a week.
I need to pay a little more attention to temperature but it is consistent. Also have to be more patient with warm up time.
I got the timer for free (200$ seriously!). But I have to say, I like that you can program different days and that it is all remembered within the unit.
I've moved from 18-19 gr of coffee to using 14-16 gr. I get more out of my bags.
The Mini V2 is way quieter. No start up noise like the BDB which makes my wife very happy at 7 am.
I like the option of keeping the steam boiler off. great energy savings while I am focused on straight espresso.
Needed to buy a shot clock of all simple things.
Hot water dispensing is better on the BDB, more volume.
Learning curve with the steam monster. It's better than the BDB when making big latte's for people but more challenging with the 5 oz caps. The BDB is easier to produce great microfoam, just longer.
The Mini V2 has no random leakage on the counter like the BDB.

I'm loving it. To be honest though, I would probably love any of the quality machines all for different reasons and in fact I would love to try different machines. I got to try a Silvia for the first time recently and that was really fun. It's a lot of messing around to produce great coffee but you can get there. And again there, I have become an appreciator of durability track records!!

I miss the ease of the electronics but so far I am very pleased with the mini V2. Most importantly, no problem's yet and peace of mind.
tinytot2

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 3:52pm

I was all set on the BDB, but now will take a closer look at the Mini Vivaldi.  Thanks for the follow up!
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 7:25pm

Amazing story of a quest to escape the BDB nightmare....and it does sound that way to me. Wow...simply amazing. I would not recommend a BDB to anyone.
Im glad you endured and made it out.

JohnLyn Said:

Very sorry that I missed your post. Must have been after a vacation and I forgot to go back to this thread so I never saw it. Have you sorted it out? I would love to hear about your journey. I was dealing with a manager at Breville Canada, Gaetan. I have to give him credit, he was awesome with customer service issues. That is also how I learned that even he can't even get proper information on why this was occurring. I was still under warranty and he figured that they are unable to find a solution so he decided to offer a refund. I am really glad I took it.

Funny story, as I was calling places about machines, one guy had just gotten off the phone with someone else who had swapped out 4 BDB's!

I think the BDB has introduced a new idea, the idea of high end consumer grade (as opposed to prosumer), made to produce excellent coffee for the home. I think they are on the right track and the coffee was amazing. But they have some growing pains to work out that I hope they manage to fix.

I ended up going with the Mini Vivaldi (the other machine I was exploring was the duetto). This machine has a low return rate and is appreciated by techs. Music to my ears as I know that it will be possible to fix it within warranty (2 years!), and beyond. This has become important to me. I fear higher electronics for now so I opted against the Dream. Early adopter once, now someone else can pay to work out the bugs on that one.

The coffee is just as good as the BDB. I got to compare them side by side for a week.
I need to pay a little more attention to temperature but it is consistent. Also have to be more patient with warm up time.
I got the timer for free (200$ seriously!). But I have to say, I like that you can program different days and that it is all remembered within the unit.
I've moved from 18-19 gr of coffee to using 14-16 gr. I get more out of my bags.
The Mini V2 is way quieter. No start up noise like the BDB which makes my wife very happy at 7 am.
I like the option of keeping the steam boiler off. great energy savings while I am focused on straight espresso.
Needed to buy a shot clock of all simple things.
Hot water dispensing is better on the BDB, more volume.
Learning curve with the steam monster. It's better than the BDB when making big latte's for people but more challenging with the 5 oz caps. The BDB is easier to produce great microfoam, just longer.
The Mini V2 has no random leakage on the counter like the BDB.

I'm loving it. To be honest though, I would probably love any of the quality machines all for different reasons and in fact I would love to try different machines. I got to try a Silvia for the first time recently and that was really fun. It's a lot of messing around to produce great coffee but you can get there. And again there, I have become an appreciator of durability track records!!

I miss the ease of the electronics but so far I am very pleased with the mini V2. Most importantly, no problem's yet and peace of mind.

Posted February 23, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 9 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Swapping out the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.470109939575)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+