Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Comparing Gaggia's Yet Again
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Comparing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:30am
Subject: Re: Comparing Gaggia's Yet Again

If you are an OCD type I think temp surfing will make you nuts. (I was sure it was going to make me nuts) Adding a pid to a Silvia or Gaggia will bring you pretty close to the price of a low end HX.  If you are getting good Aeropress coffee you might want to stick with that and save up for a more temp stable machine.  Look at the CC1 and if you can handle working on stuff a used low end HX.  That is what I had to do because my taste did not = my budget.  I sent 450 or 475$ on my Oscar.  Also we have CC1 come up for sale on the buy/sell/trade board here.  I would look there.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MochaJoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 1:26pm

Thanks coffeenoobie, but like I said before I cannot (will not) spend more than ~$500ish on my first set up. I'm too afraid of dumping money into this until I'm sure I will A) Be able to take the time to make great espresso. B) Make sure I enjoy both the process and taste of the coffee I'm making.

I figure that in a few years if im in love with the process and the coffee, and I can always upgrade after college when money is flowing. I wouldnt stick a PID into any machine I get right now no matter how aggravating, because like you said, that much money puts me into a higher caliber of machine all together.

They Aeropress IS good, I use it almost daily, it just takes a lot of beans to get one serving. It also doesnt give me a nifty machine to use lol

I think i'm going to stick with what I've figured out so far, (Gaggia Classic Refurb and Baratza Preciso) talk to some vendors, and hopefully get a good deal as its close to the holidays.

Side note; If anyone can recommend a place in the Omaha/Co Bluff area that actually has machines in store to look at, I'd be most appreciative ;)
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 2:04pm

MochaJoe Said:

I cannot (will not) spend more than ~$500ish on my first set up. I'm too afraid of dumping money into this until I'm sure I will A) Be able to take the time to make great espresso. B) Make sure I enjoy both the process and taste of the coffee I'm making.

Posted November 4, 2012 link

You know, that is a fair aspiration. It's too easy to say, "But if I spend $x00 more, I can get this..." I know because I fell into that trap myself! Putting down a hard limit is a good place to start.

Better to walk before you run..

MochaJoe Said:

I think i'm going to stick with what I've figured out so far, (Gaggia Classic Refurb and Baratza Preciso)

I think that is an great place to start.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 2:50pm

Personally I am glad I skipped the step you are insisting on starting out at. I was not sure I would like it either, but I hate having to rebuy the same thing in less than a year.  If you really committed to that then spend 80-100 on a starbucks machine used on craigslist and get a 40$ hand grinder.  Then at least you will have only spend about 150$ on the learning step.  And you can probably resell the whole lot for 100$ if and when you upgrade. And a CC1 is 700 new so I would think about 300-350 used.
http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/crossland-coffee-cc1

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 3:52pm

MochaJoe Said:

I think i'm going to stick with what I've figured out so far, (Gaggia Classic Refurb and Baratza Preciso) talk to some vendors, and hopefully get a good deal as its close to the holidays.

You can make this work well.  I am very happy with mine and choose not to afford upgraditis, though I have nothing against upgrading.  Plan on a learning curve and be patient.  See if you can find a CG in your area for help.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 4:43pm

D4F Said:

You can make this work well.

+1

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 10:45pm

I'll vote for a Classic refurb and a preciso. I think it's a really good starting point.

One of the guys mentioned a hand grinder. You may actually want to consider that. You can get many really good hand grinders at a comparatively low price (of course they still cost 3x what "normal" people spend on a krups blade grinder). You only grind small amounts for espresso so it would serve you well until you hit the lotto.

I have a Classic and am really enjoying it. On day one I was making drinks better than what I can buy locally. My wife and I both love them. I did splurge on a grinder though- I figured I'd probably replace the Classic at some point, but I didn't ever want to replace the grinder. Besides, I found my dream grinder on super-sale so I couldn't pass it up.

You and I seem to be kindred spirits- we both are looking at the same machines, and we've both spent time in Council Bluffs. Admittedly I was only there for 4 months, but I have yet to forget it. ;P

Keep us informed of what you get. I hope whatever it is, it makes you happy.
MochaJoe

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:52pm

Thanks Dorkroast (seriously? Awesome name!) I looked at a few hand grinders, but I know myself....I would get tired of hand grinding very quickly lol.

I think the Preciso will fit me well. If I end up scraping my home barista dreams, I still have my Aeropress that would love a finer grind than my 24.99 walmart blade grinder can do. That and my parents switch up between French Press and drip. And hopefully I become addicted to the hobby, and one day afford a much better setup.

Ah yes, Council Bluffs....I tend to avoid it as much as possible ;p
Hopefully you made it to Omaha, and got to check out the largest city in Nebraksa!
toyman

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever Plus,...
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 7:38am

I've been dialing in my new Gaggia Classic since Thursday.  Fantastic results so far.  I stopped at my local beanery on Saturday to get an espresso (to check my work) and also get some more beans.  The espresso's I'm making are better (to me) than what I got at the cafe.  Mine are not bitter, but every bit as creamy/buttery etc, with the same beans.   Still a newby, but getting 25 +/- second shots with 16g of fresh espresso beans.   Really enjoying the pair.
MochaJoe

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 3:28pm

Well guys, looks like I've got it all settled.

Talked with a sales dude at WLL, and he put together a package including the Refurb Gaggia and New Preciso under my budget, and threw in some grinder cleaning pellets and descaler. Should be here by the end of the week/begining of next.

Now its on to the fun parts! Buying accessories, finding a good beans, and perfecting technique!
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Comparing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.448718070984)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+