Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Guy FINALLY bought something
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Guy FINALLY...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 5:30pm
Subject: Re: New Guy FINALLY bought something

I sure hope the OP didn't post his purchases on Home-Barista !  

We are tame compared to that lot!    :)

LMWDP # 010
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeHealth

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 6:00pm

Geesh Coffee Gang:

Now that you have taken all the wind out of my sail...I am going back to my Sanka and Cremora Creamer.

It was fun while it lasted...and I just bought 1lb of that whole bean 8 O'Clock Coffee !

I'll be back-----stay tuned!

David

PS....looking forward to that Home-Barista Crew!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 10:57pm

I am not sure that is a good thing....

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 12:28am

At first when I started out, I thought about chintzing out and trying to save money, thinking that I could brew espresso based
drinks at home with something like a Breville Cafe Roma and using my Hamilton Beach blade grinder. I asked for advice on this
forum, read the guides and I read review after review after review. That changed my mind really quick.

I eventually came to the realization that if I didn't want something which would break down or fall apart after a few months
(Or a few short years) of ownership, I'd have to spend more than $200. Considerably more. So, I started saving my pennies.
I'd rather buy something more expensive than just burn my money on something I knew I wouldn't be happy with.

What I did was check Kijiji, the Buy/Sell area here, Ebay, etc, etc. in the hopes that maybe I could find something used which
was in decent shape... and I eventually did, but it took a while. The forum members here have been patient with me. I've started
modestly and I eventually plan on getting the machine I originally wanted, but it'll take time.

So, while I'm far from being an expert (Look at the number of my posts) I'll certainly say this.. The cheaper the equipment you buy,
the more frustrated you are going to get with it and the worse results you'll get with it.

Here, why don't you start doing what I did... Go to the boutique coffee shops in your area, preferably while the place is quiet and
the baristas look bored. They'll talk to you. Try different drinks. Try a Latte, a Capuccino, a Macchiato, a single shot espresso, etc.
Ask yourself if this is the kind of drink you want to make yourself at home.

What motivated me was the absolutely delicious Cappuccinos which I was ordering in San Francisco. I kept asking myself why I
couldn't make myself something like that at home..

Now, you can take two approaches to this. You can make the effort to learn about coffee and how to prepare it, or you can just
do the absolute minimum to get a cup of joe. You have all of the right equipment to start making drip coffee, so perhaps you can
appreciate a good cup of drip coffee from freshly ground beans. Grinding what you need, using the right filter and dosage. Rather than
continuing to buy the pre-ground stuff at the supermarket.

Otherwise, if you are the second type of person, a Single cup machine is what you are looking for.

There are single cup espresso machines you can buy, like a Tassimo or a Nespresso, but they're a compromise. They're nearly idiot
proof and extremely easy to use. However, by using them, you won't learn much, but you'll get a passable cup of coffee from them.
A friend of mine makes Cafe Latte's, Cappuccinos and espressos from his all the time. It's good enough for him, but not good enough
for me. It's passable if I just want something hot to drink though.

Good luck and save your pennies!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 6:06am

While my responses here could read as curt bordering on insulting, it is only because I have been there. Those who have read through my "coffee Beowolf" (website) know how I started out. My original thinking ran parallel to the OPS here. I started thinking that the $45 Cuisinart grinder we already owned would be more than a sufficient mate to a $125 espresso machine I was looking at online. I asked, listened, and was educated by the forum responses until my first order for coffee gear was (just short of 12 years ago), for about $800 (Silvia, Rocky, and Hearthware roaster).  

Being an active HB member and poster, for me, I think the frustration comes when reading posts from members like the one which started this thread is that the quality of the coffee to be made takes a back seat to other priorities. $300 for a grinder AND a machine (which is a combo machine) and a scale? For espresso?? New!? The experienced members know that is $300 invested into mediocrity on a good day. a very good day. The rest of the time the product produced is set to a very low standard (How many times have we read, "...better than I got at Starbucks."?).

In terms of espresso, we know that the total invested by the OP wouldn't (or would barely) buy a reasonable (or even a starter) espresso grinder. For the money spent, a $175 refurb Virtuoso or better, $239 for a refurb Preciso directly from Baratza, and an Espro press would likely make the best coffee the OP ever had (if the outfit was fed decent beans). So for around $250-315 a better grinder and superior coffee could have been had. BETTER COFFEE! Isn't that the priority?

Buy what you want and drink what you want, and if that makes you happy, fine. But if the best possible coffee is not the priority at any given price point, why bother us? Many see our time wasted carefully answering questions and then having our recommendations ignored.

Jack came home with the beans, but in this case, they aren't magic... just beans.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 2:46pm

Dude, just buy a used Saeco Aroma/Classico/Barista/Vapore and grab a Hario Skerton grinder for $36.
misticms
misticms

Espresso: New One Soon!!
Grinder: New One Soon!!
Vac Pot: not needed
Drip: no sure
Roaster: not on your life
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 5:29pm

I've been a lurker for the past 10 months; and signed up in June,..............but this one got to me.............read on.

Ok you guys, we've all gotta start somewhere.................even tho I have been "into espresso" since the late 90's, I still have a very dated entry-level machine (gonna buy a new one in January).  Sometimes it takes a while to get the feel of espresso (we all stared where this person is at right now) - and not many of us are located in an area where we can get our "training wheels" worked off, but this person obviously needs our guidance, not our scorn.  Remember, our locale has a lot to do with our expertise and knowledge, and some of us have other priorities in our life that sometimes puts our espresso knowledge and perfection on the back burner.  Ya can't blame the person for trying!!!

Anyways, Coffeehealth, keep on truckin'......we're here for ya!!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 5:46pm

misticms Said:

Ok you guys, we've all gotta start somewhere..................  (we all stared where this person is at right now)

Posted August 14, 2012 link

Uhh... The OP stated that he had a dated Krups espresso machine and so he bought a Krups combo espresso/drip machine. he did start somewhere. Where is that? pretty much where he started.

He stated in the OP: "(feel free to shake your head and say "hummmm")"
basically, we are just moving along based on the permission he granted us.   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
IndianaBrewer

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Cusinart Grind and Brew
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 8:35pm

CoffeeHealth,

I can't comment on your espresso machine choice, but I would recommend searching for some locally roasted espresso beans.  8 O'clock may be nice for drip coffee and if it is good enough for you, thats all that really matters.  I try to purchase freshly and locally roasted beans when possible and there is a distinct difference in the quality.  If you don't mind shipping some beans, I would try Intelligenista's Black Cat Espresso.  That coffee is excellent.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 3:15pm

While I applaud your participation in this thread, it is worth mentioning that the "New Guy" has not even logged in since September!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Guy FINALLY...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438467025757)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+