Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 108 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 5:51am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

BubbaDude Said:

I suspect there's something in your routine that's causing the problem. Are you hitting the machines with a hammer every day?

Posted October 31, 2012 link

Someone on home barista seemed to have the famous sledgehammer problem. But I have no desire to go to a different machine. Since it seems to be a mystery as to what the Err1 or 2 messages actually mean then I would love it if the manual identified

Err2: Blunt object impact is causing machine to protest.

That would be clearer. seriously though. any ideas?
 View Profile Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 5:58am

toiler Said:

JohnLyn I am sure you have tried a factory reset, but what the heck, I will throw it our there.

Posted October 31, 2012 link

I don't even know what the factory reset is? Breville canada seem to have no idea what the Err1 and 2 messages are except that they need to be exchanged.  They have never offered advice beyond "don't use a power strip". So the Err 2 message appeared after clean up that followed drinks. unplug it, plug it back in, no more message. this morning I have finished my drinks as usual.... no Err message.

Maybe an exorcism...
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 10:05am

JohnLyn Said:

Someone on home barista seemed to have the famous sledgehammer problem. But I have no desire to go to a different machine. Since it seems to be a mystery as to what the Err1 or 2 messages actually mean then I would love it if the manual identified

Err2: Blunt object impact is causing machine to protest.

That would be clearer. seriously though. any ideas?

Posted November 1, 2012 link

What do you do to your machine other than pull espresso shots? For example, how do you blackflush, how do you clean, etc, etc, and how often do you do these things?

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 1:10pm

I did it.  Found a Vario on E-Bay, purportedly new in the box (we'll see when it get's here), about $100 off.  We'll see if I can get the consistency that I've been missing with the Smart Grinder.
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 2:32pm

BubbaDude Said:

What do you do to your machine other than pull espresso shots? For example, how do you blackflush, how do you clean, etc, etc, and how often do you do these things?

The only other thing aside from pulling espresso is that my wife will occaisionaly use water for tea when it is on in the morning.

Every morning it is fired up, shots are pulled, run water, wipe screen, backflush as per Phil's video jiggling a bit then letting it backflush for about 5 secs using a blind. Settle, portafilter off, Naked PF back in, quick purge of steam wand then power off. that is done every session.

Once a month or so I clean the resevoir tank. Chemical clean as per breville directions at Clean Me cycle. Soak baskets as well. Change filter at that time or within the two months.

Thanks for asking questions. How does that sound?
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 2:43pm

I'd be interested in whether your errX problems go away if you stop backflushing. What if you just turn the machine off at the end of the session and do the cleaning cycle when it tells you? It can't hurt.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 3:40pm

BubbaDude Said:

I'd be interested in whether your errX problems go away if you stop backflushing. What if you just turn the machine off at the end of the session and do the cleaning cycle when it tells you? It can't hurt.

Maybe, I have wondered about this. I wish I had recorded when the Err1 or 2 message has come up, I think most of the time it has been sometime after backflushing. If I don't turn it off right away I usually have noticed it when I have gone to power off. What would the back flushing do to the overall machine? And then what is a good daily cleaning alternative if necessary? Unless using a blind filter makes a difference of the provided cleaning pad?
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 4:28pm

JohnLyn Said:

Maybe, I have wondered about this. I wish I had recorded when the Err1 or 2 message has come up, I think most of the time it has been sometime after backflushing. If I don't turn it off right away I usually have noticed it when I have gone to power off. What would the back flushing do to the overall machine? And then what is a good daily cleaning alternative if necessary? Unless using a blind filter makes a difference of the provided cleaning pad?

I don't know any of the answers to those questions, but I think it would be interesting to explore them if we can establish that there's something about the backflushing that's giving your machines grief. I personally backflush mine with clear water in a blind about once a week or so. Daily seems like overkill to me since I only make 3 to 4 cups a day.

zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 4:54pm

Who is Phil and why is he backflushing daily? Unless your pulling 100 shots a day thats waaaaaaaaaay overkill. Your pump is probably wondering "what did he ever do to you".
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 5:26pm

zedex Said:

Who is Phil and why is he backflushing daily? Unless your pulling 100 shots a day thats waaaaaaaaaay overkill. Your pump is probably wondering "what did he ever do to you".

I see... It was various stuff that I have read on the forums seem to suggest a quick clear water backflush after each session. It's less pressure than puling an extra shot 'cause it only goes for 15 seconds if that. The reason it made sense to me is that it's like doing a full rinse in places under the dispersion screen that you'd have a hard time getting to otherwise.

I'm not going to defend the practice though, i'm learning and I am after all the one with the issue. I'm getting more and more confident that my electrical is fine so maybe there is something with over backflushing.... If someone understands why that would affect the electronics of the unit please make yourself hear.

I'll drop to a backflush a week then with the disc instead of the blind. What do you guys do for a cleaning routine after each session? just pump a bit of water and wipe?

I appreciate the support by the way...
showing page 108 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.48388004303)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+