Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Newbie thinking of a Silvia, can it work with a Capresso Infinity grinder?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Newbie thinking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Tue Jan 3, 2006, 11:50am
Subject: Re: Newbie thinking of a Silvia, can it work with a Capresso Infinity grinder?

spkrgeek Said:

Well, I guess that means that I'll be waiting a while for the Silvia.  Right now my little Briel pump is putting out shots that are probably about as good as I could get with the Gaggia, and it seems to work nicely with the Infinity on the second finest "fine" setting.

I'll be waiting until I can convince the wife that it's worthwhile to get both the Silvia and a nice grinder like a Rocky or Tranquillo or something.  I'm fine with the idea of two grinders, one for drip/press and one for espresso, but she remains unconvinced!

Posted January 3, 2006 link

Silvia is fairly pricey for a single boiler machine. Have you considered alternatives within your budget? Value-conscious CGers often recommend pairing a $200 Gaggia Espresso or Carezza with a $200 Cunill Tranquilo grinder, for less than the price of a Silvia alone. That should give you better results than Silvia+Infinity, and undoubtedly better than Briel+Infinity.

AFAIK most Briels have noncommercial portafilters with pressurized filter baskets. Gaggias, with beefy 58mm commercial portafilters, should give you a noticeable step up in espresso quality.
 View Profile Link to this post
spkrgeek

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2006, 1:40pm
Subject: Re: Newbie thinking of a Silvia, can it work with a Capresso Infinity grinder?

I was thinking about that, though I'm not sure if the Tranquillo will fit on my counter (it's very tall).  The Rocky would fit, but of course is more expensive.
IndianaBrewer

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Cusinart Grind and Brew
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 7:44pm

Hi Spkrgeek,

I will be posting my PID'd Silvia and Rocky Doserless that I have for sale in the classifieds section shortly.  If you are looking to make the jump, maybe we can work out a deal.  If you are interested, I would be glad to send pics.  

Thanks!
coffee_no_sugar

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 8:03pm

spkrgeek Said:

I was thinking about that, though I'm not sure if the Tranquillo will fit on my counter (it's very tall).  The Rocky would fit, but of course is more expensive.

Posted January 3, 2006 link

Many people use commercial grinders without hoppers.  With the Mazzer SJ, you pour enough beans for one shot and then add a tamper to prevent the beans from flying out.   If you can make the Tranquillo work for you, commercial grinders are the way to go.

The beef against the Infinity grinder is that some Infinities can grind fine enough for espresso and some can't.  Luck of the draw.  The Infinity is stepped, but there is enough friction so that you could do fractional steps like 3 1/2.  I used an Infinity for my Gaggia until I upgraded to a Mazzer SJ.  Sort of comical, my grinder cost 10x the espresso machine.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 8:18pm

6 year gap couple posts up?  I think that I missed something.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 8:24pm

Yeah, spkrgeek last login Jan 2006....  I'm sure he's still looking for the Silvia.
....Just need to get the post count up to sell that machine on the market place.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 8:35pm

I can't fully agree with Slider.  I am certain that you'll be happier with an excellent grinder accompanying your brewer, but that with a little practice tamping different amounts of grounds you can find a totally drinkable expresso with the Infinity grinder set to the coarser side of "Very fine" with any decent espresso bean. None of the littler Capresso grinders with the disk burrs, but the infinity with its conical burr, vertical grind set-up is decently adjustable for it's size and price. You can, of course, grind with the adjuster in-between detents, to more finely adjust, but the freshness of the beans and practice with the new brewer are going to be more important than actually making your imfinity more finely adjustable.  If you're familiar with the three-ball spring loaded clutch of the lower burr on that grinder, and are clever with a torque wrench, you can adjust it to permanently detent to your favored position.
Your issue should be that it's plastic.  Coffeegeeks aren't supposed to have plastic equipment.  :)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Newbie thinking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.407211065292)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+