Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 107 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
martigen

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 1:21pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

I would understand if it was the grounding, but what about the Illy pre-grounded espresso? thats the one i tried at the store and it brewed perfect including the regular 25-30lbs tamping, that's why i think there's something wrong with my machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
toiler

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville 990XL
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 1:59pm

Perhaps they used the pressurized basket in the store? That would give you the fake creme.

Freshly roasted beans that are ground as you use them have much better results. I tried some decaf Illy once, terrible results. Most grocery stores don't have fresh beans, you need to find a local roaster. Or get an espresso  subscription like I do.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 2:56pm

martigen Said:

I would understand if it was the grounding, but what about the Illy pre-grounded espresso? thats the one i tried at the store and it brewed perfect including the regular 25-30lbs tamping, that's why i think there's something wrong with my machine.

Posted October 30, 2012 link

Like above they pry used the pressurized baskets which will give fake crema even with stale beans/pre-ground, however it doesn't taste anything like real crema lol. Illy works just barely "ok" right after opening, but after that, forget about it lol.

No fresh beans ground right before using = blahhhh

But since your saying your coffee barely drips, you have it ground too fine to almost choking the machine, which is fine to start out with. B/c now you can back off going slightly coarser from that point till your shots are flowing right.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 3:20pm

Both your pressure reading (10 - 11) and the observed behavior say you're choking the machine. That's enough pressure to make nice rat tails through an unchoked single wall basket.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 6:55pm

martigen Said:

Posted October 30, 2012 link

hi try to recall, was it the same illy you were using in the store? was it single wall basket or a dual wall basket that they were using
as far as the manual said if your using dual wall, no need to tamp ang no fuzz on the grind to be fine

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 7:59am

Oh my goodness, I finnished up some great coffee this morning, backflushed to clean and tried to turn off the machine.... Err2 message this time instead of Err1. I am still goin with this unique problem. I have followed the recomendations from Breville and my electrician. Circuit is fine, it is on it's own outlet and there is nothing else in the house that has been scrambled. Just my BDB. I even had a whole house surge proctector installed. I am lost. I do not know if it is me, my electrical or the BDB itself, and I have run out of ideas unless Breville comes up with something.

If someone else out there is thinking "why doesn't he just do.....", then please throw it up here. other people are not having this problem. why am I?

The coffee is still great though....

wow!
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 7:00pm

JohnLyn Said:

Oh my goodness, I finnished up some great coffee this morning, backflushed to clean and tried to turn off the machine.... Err2 message this time instead of Err1. I am still goin with this unique problem. I have followed the recomendations from Breville and my electrician. Circuit is fine, it is on it's own outlet and there is nothing else in the house that has been scrambled. Just my BDB. I even had a whole house surge proctector installed. I am lost. I do not know if it is me, my electrical or the BDB itself, and I have run out of ideas unless Breville comes up with something.

If someone else out there is thinking "why doesn't he just do.....", then please throw it up here. other people are not having this problem. why am I?

The coffee is still great though....

wow!

Posted October 31, 2012 link

hi johnlyn ive bumped into 1 other talks here about the err, i dont know if its 1 or 2, as far as i recall he said it was just a restart, but i guess you did stuff already and perhaps has included a restart, the thread should be somewhere perhaps he can give in some other stuff

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
toiler

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:02pm

JohnLyn I am sure you have tried a factory reset, but what the heck, I will throw it our there.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:08pm

I suspect there's something in your routine that's causing the problem. Are you hitting the machines with a hammer every day?

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
toiler

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:10pm

New machine arrived today. Now back to getting the grind right. This machine seems to run better, no fluttering etc. Certanly makes better shots than my Saeco Aroma

I am curious. The first machine had a blind with a hole in it. When running the cleaning cycle most of the water went in the jug. With the new blind, most of the water back-flushes. I assume the back flushing method is better, but wonder why the change in philosophy?  I have one of each now, so I can do either method.
showing page 107 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.404126882553)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+