Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Replacing steam thermostat with higher temperature
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Replacing steam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bcarrigg90

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Delonghi EC 702
Grinder: Capresso Infinity - Modified
Drip: French press is as close as...
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 7:39am
Subject: Replacing steam thermostat with higher temperature

would it be safe to swap the 125 thermostat on my for a 140 silvia thermostat on my Delonghi EC702?  I'm going to swap out the steam wand also, and want to see if I can boost the steam pressure from the boiler by upping the temperature a bit.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 11:16am
Subject: Re: Replacing steam thermostat with higher temperature

I had/have a 701, very similar.  I did not want to spend the money to fix it as a few discontinued parts have been changed to the 702.  There is a "Tco" thermofuse and I did not see the cut off.  It could mess up your plans if the cut off is too close to your new t-stat.  I think in F, so I believe that you want to go from about 257F to 284F.  My Gaggia is now on a PID and runs steam at about 285F and some machines are more like 300F.  I do note that steam is wimpy below 260F, thus the problem with the bimetal deadband.  I hate to think what the range is on that 125C t-stat.

Safe?  I am probably not qualified to answer that, but cannot see why not.  I would guess that to operate at the temperatures that it already does that it has normal high temp wiring.

I would also call the parts place and see if that is really the operating temperature of the steam stat and not a misprint, seems low.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
bcarrigg90

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 11:30am

I got that number off of the replacement parts list on several sites.  The steam thermostat i onyl 125 for sure.  I wouldn't really think a small increase in pressure would cause any problems, but any increase at all would lead to better steaming, even if only slightly.  I don't see any kind of thermal fuse on here, but i'll pole around when i open it up.

Click Here (www.ereplacementparts.com)
D4F

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 12:09pm

Part 60, "Tco" which probably is thermal cut off??  Steam pressure will significantly increase with temperature, but well below pump pressure, if I read the table correctly.

Click Here (www.jgbhose.com)

D4F also at
bcarrigg90

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 12:12pm

Ah so it is!  Its just a standard thermistor, so i'll take a look at the temperature when i open it up in the next week or so.  The steam wand swap will probably be first, then the thermostat switching.
D4F

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 1:04pm

bcarrigg90 Said:

Ah so it is!  Its just a standard thermistor, so i'll take a look at the temperature when i open it up in the next week or so.

Posted October 31, 2012 link

I do not think so.  A thermistor is a thermal variable resistor and the thermal cutoff does just that.  Perhaps my ignorance of how it works, but the TCO should have a code to its specs.

I also believe that parts 68,69,53,and 52 are a spring loaded pressure relief valve.  They changes parts and fitment and I had looked at that on the 701.  I could not cross reference 701 to 702 to replace mine.  With higher steam pressure (prior chart) you may get more drip, though not bad when the steam valve is open and you are steaming, not just heating.  You can always catch the drip or ignore it.

D4F also at
bcarrigg90

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 1:23pm

My mistake.  It's a thermal fuse, not a thermistor. I was thinking of how a thermistor works in reverse.  

And yes, those parts are a pressure relief valve, but its what lets water into the filter when the pump is turned on.  I could probably just put a slightly stronger screw in it if leaks more than the occasional drip.  As long as it still opens for the pump, it should be fine.

As long as the fuse is 150 or 155C then it shouldn't be a problem.  The 140 steam thermostat shouldn't ever let it get much above that. But the fuses are also cheap, so i can experiment with progressively higher values if i need until i find one that allows normal operation but will be very close to the threshold and shut things down if it remotely starts to run away.
bcarrigg90

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 9:28am

I got the Torx bit i needed today.  I had to order a super long 6" bit to reach up to the screws that hold the top on.  (It's a tamper resistant T20 bit if anyone is curious.)

The thermal fuse is 127, so that gives a 7 window between the thermostat and the fuse.  After I swap the steam wand, I will upgrade to a 135 thermostat if the pressure is still not enough.  I found some 142 fuses, so that gives the same window of operation without cutting off.
bcarrigg90

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 6:57am

So I finally got my new thermostat and thermal fuse.  Chinese budget post is nice and efficient.  But the good news is that It works!  I moved up to a 135 thermostat for steaming, and It works pretty well.  Definitely a noticeable bump in pressure.  On the downside, I discovered last week that my
OPV has a small leak.  It doesn't seal all the way.  Which explains why my shots have been a little weird.  Luckily its only a 7 dollar valve on this machine.  I'll replace it for now, but I want to figure out how to retrofit  a better brass valve.  Let the hunt for adapters begin!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Replacing steam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.484665870667)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+