Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Excessive vibration? ascaso steel pro with PID
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Excessive...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
darnmcdo

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Prof with PID
Grinder: turmix
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 1:01pm
Subject: Excessive vibration? ascaso steel pro with PID

Very recently received the ascaso steel pro with PID. I have it all set up and have used it for two days now. I expected some vibration and noise from the machine but I am wondering just how much is to be expected?

I ask because of three observations so far: First, when flipping the switch to get a shot it is necessary to hold on to the cup otherwise the vibration will have it dance around and get out from under the shot. Second, the side mount water tank will move about an inch outside the side slot. Third, it does not happen when pulling a shot but when dispensing hot water the drip tray drawer will start to vibrate open.

Is this type of vibration within the "norm" for this class of machine or should I be thinking of trying to send it back?

Other than this issue so far getting some good espresso.

Thanks for any info.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeMills
CoffeeMills
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: la Pavoni Professional
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Gravity Cone
Roaster: 49TH  //
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:01am
Subject: Re: Excessive vibration? ascaso steel pro with PID

Hello.

Ascaso uses a vibration water pump.  Over time, under normal use, this vibration pump should be replaced.
This cures most espresso machine noise problems.  
If harsh vibration continues after replacing pump, a voltage problem may exist. (not likely)
A gentle descale solution can be run through the machine to open clogs.

Cheers

Coffee Mills
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 8:43am

darnmcdo Said:

Very recently received the ascaso steel pro with PID. I have it all set up and have used it for two days now. I expected some vibration and noise from the machine but I am wondering just how much is to be expected?

I ask because of three observations so far: First, when flipping the switch to get a shot it is necessary to hold on to the cup otherwise the vibration will have it dance around and get out from under the shot. Second, the side mount water tank will move about an inch outside the side slot. Third, it does not happen when pulling a shot but when dispensing hot water the drip tray drawer will start to vibrate open.

Is this type of vibration within the "norm" for this class of machine or should I be thinking of trying to send it back?

Other than this issue so far getting some good espresso.

Thanks for any info.

Posted October 12, 2012 link

It is best to check with the dealer you purchased from. If they are not an importer, they may ask you to call the importer. They can usually tell over the phone whether it is normal. They may walk you through removing the cover to see if the pump moved while in transport and ask you to reset its position. To reiterate, call first and only under their direction should you remove the cover. If you remove it on your own, you may void the warranty, etc.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MtlDan
MtlDan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno Pro PID
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 7:19pm

I have the same new machine, purchased the same week (from idrinkcoffee), and have the same excessive pump vibration problem!  Not only will the cup or shot glasses get out from under the spout, they would probably fall off the tray if I didn't hold them.  Vibration settles down greatly once pour is about to start, I imagine the reservoir is full then.  Machine is properly warmed up and primed...  Tamp pressure is about 30 lbs and (after half a bag of coffee to tune the grind) the shots are fine.  

The vibration definitely reduces pleasure of home brewing...  I'll post any progress I make after contacting vendor.    If you've solved your problem I'm very interested in finding out how.

thanks,
Dan
darnmcdo

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Prof with PID
Grinder: turmix
Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 10:07am

Thanks for the comments on this issue.

No Dan, I have not made any real progress other than becoming more accepting and holding the cup. Mine too is from idrinkcoffee. I had contacted (email) them about another small issue and asked about the vibration. I did not get any substantive response as to whether this was the nature of the beast or not. I was invited to send the machine back and they would check it out. I have so far hesitated to do that feeling that they would likely say it was normal.

On another issue twice now the PID display has gone wonky and displayed A.1 (broken lead?). Each time either turning the machine on and off or simply touching a PID button seems to have reset it. Hopefully this is not an sign of future problems.
MtlDan
MtlDan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno Pro PID
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 7:21pm

darnmcdo,

The following worked for me, you may want to try it out.  My machine is almost normal now.  I opened the lid (removing the two screws on top of rear plate allow you to tilt cover off) and checked for loose fasteners.  In my case I tightened the top screw on side panel that holds the reservoir bassin (it was completely loose) and I tightened the two large hex bolts that hold the group head (by about a quarter turn each).  One of the switches had also started to loosen from the excessive vibration.  Make sure you unplug machine before servicing.  You can take the opportunity to check the PID connections while lid is open.

good luck,
Dan
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Excessive...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386734962463)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+