Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Dead Avanti Minibar
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dead Avanti...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TRoach

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 5:14pm
Subject: Dead Avanti Minibar

I picked up this espresso machine from a guy selling refurbished machines on Craigslist last fall.  It worked great for the most part but it was temperamental.  I got the priming routine down, as the instruction manual lays it out, and I could often get really nice shots out of it.  At one point, I had to return it to the guy because the gasket had blown on it (he also does repairs).  I found that I could only tamp fairly lightly, despite the fact that the pump on this machine is supposed to be quiet strong.  This is also contrary to another post I read on here about this machine.  I think the gasket that was on it was actually the wrong size, and it blew out for this reason, coupled with the basket being tamped too firmly too many times.  Any way, I got the machine back, good as new, and it worked well for a few more months.  Unfortunately however, it began acting up and at some point, the pump started sounding different, like it didn't have as much power going through it.  I was having more and more trouble pulling clean shots without any issues like sputtering etc.  Eventually, it just stopped working.  The machine no longer has any pressure, and I can only assume this means that the pump is fried.  I was wondering if any one else has had this experience with this machine or any others, and if you have any advice or insight.  I only spent $150 on the machine, so I don't know if its worth paying to get it fixed, as much as I miss using it.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.  

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
bohica

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Baratza...
Drip: Bunn Thermal
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 8:42pm
Subject: Re: Dead Avanti Minibar

I just recently bought one of these off of ebay and it was basically a train wreck inside.  I had to tear it down to descale it because, although the pump made the expected noises, it wouldn't move any water.  I had an older Gaggia in the garage so I harvested the pump from it.  It now moves water like it should.  My remaining problem is a lack of a portafilter basket.  I bought a Saeco basket but it is too deep and bottoms out in the portafilter with about a 2 mm gap at the top.  

Do you still have yours?
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dead Avanti...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.367825031281)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+