Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 103 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 6:59am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Wow I thought I was doing good making four in a row. I agree with you this machine has an awesome capability. It steams
effortlessly too. I read somewhere and I know if I mention it someones going to ask me to find it, but it was on an Italian
website and it actually said this machine could be used to make 60 a day without a problem lending creedence to its prosumer tag.
All I know is I love mine and am very happy with it.

bodkacoffee Said:

I found out last night how well mine worked. We had family and friends over and made 22 lattes with a double shot each and steamed milk and did it basically without stopping. It kept up very well. I am pleased.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
pfn

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 7:23am

SStones Said:

I would mount it between the water-reservoir carrier and the curved back wall.  One hole drilled through the reservoir-holder if the top-left(From front) corner is enough to bolt the relay on to, through whatever is becoming the protective cover.  Any bit of thin sheet, or even duct tape would do to protect it from water so long as it's bolted to the good sheet-metal heatsink of the reservoir-carrier (I'd use thin sheet metal from a beercan to make the cover, that way I get to enjoy a Guinness).  The metal reservoir carrier makes a decent heat-sink. The bulk of the reservoir protects it from infra-red radiation off the boiler.  It works just fine.

The relay I always use is the Omron G3NA 220B.
I don't know how to put up photos on this posting, but if you want to fire me an e-mail, I can e-mail you photos of the first one of these I did with a metal protective cover rather than the plastic (And packing tape) protection I had originally been doing this with.
I have done this upgrade at least 10 times, first had to be a couple years ago.  Apparently no problems yet.

Posted May 3, 2013 link

Yeah, if mounted elsewhere, it does sound pretty reasonable, like I'd mentioned before.

I haven't really checked around to see how much space I'd have for an alternative mounting location. Somewhere behind the water reservoir or in that area should be safe; there's an insulated, steel wall reducing the heat from the boiler already.

Are you running the G3NA without any additional heatsinking, do you know what your operating temperature runs for the relay? I don't know if the steel structure where a mount is feasible is massive enough to perform adequate cooling duties. How about leakage current, are you doing anything to eliminate it, or is ~.5W of constant power not enough to really power the heating element and cause an issue?
 View Profile Link to this post
scanfield

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 9:08am

This weekend I descaled and generally cleaned my entire machine. At the end when I was flushing the descaling solution from the boiler, I found the hot water tap getting harder and harder to turn. The last four ounces that I flushed, the hot water tap was very hard to open and close and made an awful metal-on-metal squeaking noise.

Did I flush away all the lubricant on the valve or something? How do I fix this?
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 9:34am

scanfield Said:

This weekend I descaled and generally cleaned my entire machine. At the end when I was flushing the descaling solution from the boiler, I found the hot water tap getting harder and harder to turn. The last four ounces that I flushed, the hot water tap was very hard to open and close and made an awful metal-on-metal squeaking noise.

Did I flush away all the lubricant on the valve or something? How do I fix this?

Posted May 6, 2013 link

I had the same thing happen.  Lubed it with a food safe lubricant.
scanfield

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 9:42am

slybarman Said:

I had the same thing happen.  Lubed it with a food safe lubricant.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

I've attached a diagram of the tap assembly. Approximately where did you apply the lubricant?

After a bit of research, I think this is right kind of grease:
Click Here (www.homedepot.com)
It's good to 400 degrees F and is FDA and NSF compliant.

Did you lube any other parts? I'm thinking that the lever for pulling a shot is feeling a little rough.

scanfield: cuadra.png
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 11:45am

It was a good year ago, so my memory is fuzzy. I had an exchange with Jim from 1st line about it at the time. IIRC, it was the shaft only. I seem to recall you cannot disassemble the "T" shaped part of the valve from the machine (at least not easily). Best I can remember I removed the shaft the knob rides on and lubed it and then reassembled.
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 6:48pm

SStones Said:

Let it sleep overnight with the 8 outer bolts out (4 on top, 2 each side)...
If it stalls again tomorrow, pull the top and the sides off carefully.  Does tapping the pressostat start it going again?  Does tapping the relay start it going again?  Does swearing at the little bastard start it going again?  You hvae poert to the power-switch and beyone, if the green light is on...  That green light and the common of the p-stat is just a short length of very cheap wire apart from each other.  It is uncommon for the pressostats to fail at a young age in a Cuadra, they have that sacrificial relay to die for them.
If your circuit is complete at turn-on, but opening at some incorrect point, then something in the circuit is imperfect. It'll most likely be the relay (I know it's only a day old, but it is a one day old piece of crap), or it is the element or pressostat (A Mater Pressostat is a piece of crap, too...  But not as foul as that clownish relay on a PC Board with a resistor belonging in a DC circuit).  Anyone else notice the "Ramp-Up resistor" on there? Good job, that'd be helpful if it were a DC circuit. Potentially it is preventing the opening spike from damaging that high-tech electronics of that powerboard that doesn't even shut the element off when the boiler is empty.
I shouldn't write about Cuadras on weekends.  I drink on weekends and don't have nice lies to say about them.

Posted May 5, 2013 link

ROFL.  You rock man!

Just an update:

With the new one relay installed, the machine still doesn't fully heat.  After I turn it on, it heats up to about 190 F and then stops.  I can get it to go the whole way up to 204 F by simply flushing water through the hot water tap until the pump kicks on to refill and then turning it off.  As soon as I do that, the temp will start to climb again and get up to 204 and stay there.

I'm thinking it may be the OPV.  Any good procedures on how to remove and clean it?
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 7:15pm

MDiddy Said:

Good news guys.   Machine is back to normal operation again.

Got a new relay from Jim and swapped it out for the faulty one,  turned the beast on,  and up to 204 F it went.  

One little hiccup though.   The new relay Got from 1st Line wouldn't work without modification.   The cable that comes off the relay and plugs into the Pstat was  WAY too short.   It wasn't going to reach.   I wound up the longer cable from the old relay and soldering it onto the new one.   Did that and everything is working ok.

I sent Jim an email with a picture showing the different cables.   I'll let you know his response.

Posted May 4, 2013 link

This still doesnt make a lot of sense.You cleaned it and then this! Did you adjust anything while inside?How old is your machine?
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
pfn

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 6:40am

MDiddy Said:

ROFL.  You rock man!

Just an update:

With the new one relay installed, the machine still doesn't fully heat.  After I turn it on, it heats up to about 190 F and then stops.  I can get it to go the whole way up to 204 F by simply flushing water through the hot water tap until the pump kicks on to refill and then turning it off.  As soon as I do that, the temp will start to climb again and get up to 204 and stay there.

I'm thinking it may be the OPV.  Any good procedures on how to remove and clean it?

Posted May 6, 2013 link

If everything else is operating fine, e.g. boiler pressure is in-spec (wouldn't have gone for a new relay if the boiler pressure was in spec, imo). I would concentrate my attention on the HX loop through the grouphead. I don't know how narrow the fittings are, maybe you can run some pipecleaner through there and dislodge anything that may be clogging the path?
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 6:16am

pfn Said:

If everything else is operating fine, e.g. boiler pressure is in-spec (wouldn't have gone for a new relay if the boiler pressure was in spec, imo). I would concentrate my attention on the HX loop through the grouphead. I don't know how narrow the fittings are, maybe you can run some pipecleaner through there and dislodge anything that may be clogging the path?

Posted May 7, 2013 link

If there's a clog, though, why would simply running some water through the hot water valve fix the issue and then let the machine heat up normally?  I would think if there was a blockage, it would stall and that would be it, no?
showing page 103 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.501919984818)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+