Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 63 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Rob55
Rob55
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 6:26am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

I could take a picture but its easy to find once you know where it is. If you look where your cord plugs into the machine there is a picture of a fuse right below the plug. It's sort of a little plastic holder ... its kind of hard to get out of the machine...nothing really to grab hold of.
 View Profile Link to this post
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 4:02pm

Disregard. I found it. The writing is tiny (I am using a magnifying glass) but I think it says F15AL, 250v.  So, I would say if the machine attempts to draw > 15 amps, the fuse will blow. If you were given a 6 or 10 amp fuse, I assume that is the problem.

From what I have been reading, the voltage rating on fuses is the maximum input voltage at which the fuse can safely protect the appliance at the rated amperage, so a 250v is still appropriate for 110v usage.

slybarman: 2012-10-21 19.58.47.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Rob55
Rob55

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 5:36pm

yes nothing had to be taken apart to get to the fuse.... also a 250V can be used in our setups at 110.... however a normal 125V can't be used in a 230V system. 15A seems high from what I have figured, but 15 is exactly what they sell as replacements at 1st-Line..... if my 10A works I will probably just leave it. Thats something.... all this time my problem must have been the wrong size fuse. I have to sit back and wait to see if this one keeps working or not.... no way to guess when it might blow.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 6:40pm

I guess somebody at the factory grabbed the wrong fuses for a few machines. Sh*t happens I guess.

Thank you for the opportunity to try to assist.
Rob55
Rob55

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 6:47pm

NO .....thank YOU for checking something I had no way to. I appreciate you taking the time to check this out.

THANK YOU
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 3:34am

Rob,
I have the Cuadra 2 and will be happy to check my fuse if you let me know where to look.
cruizie

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 3:37am

Oops,  didn't see there was another page of postings!
cruizie

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 5:46am

I've still been struggling with making microfoam with the Cuadra 2's steam tip.  I never had this much trouble with my last machine which had only one small hole.  So . . .  I finally decided to try and plug one of the 2 holes on the Cuadra with a toothpick.  SUCCESS!  I am finally able to make microfoam easily and perfectly every time.

I'd rather not use a tip with a piece of toothpick sticking out of it (it's difficult to keep it clean).

Does anyone know of a 1 hole tip that will fit the Cuadra 2's no burn steam arm?

The other thing I might try is a 2 hole tip with smaller holes.
Rob55
Rob55

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 5:52am

cruizie

I think somewhere in this thread... maybe a couple pages back they were talking about a package of 4 tips and I think there was a 1 hole in that pack of tips
Mr_Faineant

Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 7:32am

Rob,

It sounds to me like you have the wrong fuse. A 6A fuse is going to be worthless for a 1400W machine running at 120ish volts. At 110 volts it would be drawing around 12.7A, and at 130 V it will be drawing around 10.8A.

Voltage spikes on your line won't wont be causing this issue, particularly in the minimal range that you have described. You said that it spikes when the pump kick in...this is normal. Of course, for the < 1 second after the pump engages, there will be a current spike. There are probably coils in the heating element which also give rise to some odd electrical behavior...I'll spare you this explanation. Again, though, all of this would have been considered when the circuitry was designed, so won't be an issue.

So, from what I've read, i'd say that your issue is with a fuse that is rated for too low of a current, or there is some short in the system, somewhere. I doubt very much that your house wiring is an issue, and doubt more-so that the power supplied to your house is an issue. If the fuse are rated for 250V as slybarman indicated, you're fine in that regard.

I'm an electrical engineering student (junior) and used to be an electrician, so have some experience in this area (there is an awful lot that I don't know, though, lol) so if I can answer specific questions, please let me know and I'll try and help as best I can.
showing page 63 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.363189935684)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+