Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What's the best prosumer espresso machine?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What's the best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 12 first page previous page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 8:54am
Subject: Re: What's the best prosumer espresso machine?

russel Said:

OK, a lot going on in this thread.  I hope the OP is still around and not completely fed up with my/our soap box time.

Posted October 29, 2012 link

totally agree....and didn't really want to contribute to it, but I guess I did, and about to do more, since you asked "how so?"

For one, I said it seems contradictory] (at least to me)...but you did say a SBDU is "an insufficiently capable tool" and then later on say that in your opinion it's unhealthy (for all the reasons you pointed out) to offer prosumer level machines to beginners/intermediates.  To me, this sounded like you were saying that the SBDU is inadequate, but don't buy a prosumer machine unless you're a well-seasoned advanced "barista" (for lack of a better term).  If that were the case, then what would be appropriate for a beginner/intermediate user to buy and learn on? Maybe, I misunderstood you, and if so, I'm sorry about that, or maybe you didn't quite say exactly what you meant.  I feel these later comments you made in rebuttal to my statement project your opinion better, and appreciate you taking the time to clarify your position.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 9:15am

totally agree....and didn't really want to contribute to it, but I guess I did, and about to do more, since you asked "how so?"

For one, I said it seems contradictory] (at least to me)...but you did say a SBDU is "an insufficiently capable tool" and then later on say that in your opinion it's unhealthy (for all the reasons you pointed out) to offer prosumer level machines to beginners/intermediates.  To me, this sounded like you were saying that the SBDU is inadequate, but don't buy a prosumer machine unless you're a well-seasoned advanced "barista" (for lack of a better term).  If that were the case, then what would be appropriate for a beginner/intermediate user to buy and learn on? Maybe, I misunderstood you, and if so, I'm sorry about that, or maybe you didn't quite say exactly what you meant.  I feel these later comments you made in rebuttal to my statement project your opinion better, and appreciate you taking the time to clarify your position.

Oh, no.  I'm not saying that prosumers are unhealthy in general.  My involvement in this discussion started when talk drifted to the "value" of saving for the $2000+ prosumer DBs, which lead to the suggestion that really, you should go $3000+ light commercial or go home.  This is what I'm labeling unhealthy.  

I personaly would like to see the revival of the vintage Livietta/Maximatic/Coffex HX consumer machine; built to heat up quickly, make a couple of great shots or milk drinks, and do so in a reasonable amount of space.  It would be great to see that for $1000...does anyone know what the original price of the Livietta was?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 9:49am

I totally get that.  

For me, I had to stick to the 2k+ DB because, 1) I wanted a DB rather than a HX (my personal preference for my home and the way I like to work), and 2) I needed something that could be used on reservoir.  Although I'd love to have mine plumbed in, there's no plumbing at my "coffee bar" (intended wine bar by the home builder).  I've asked the original plumber for an estimate twice, but he's a total flake (though he did come out to the house for a look - just never got the estimate from him), so once I finally get a plumber who's reliable enough to actually give me a written estimate, I can have the work done (put in a sink and plumb-in the machine with an inline pro-grade ion exchange resin softener I have waiting).

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 11:03am

Oh no! Bud is thinking about getting something used! :P

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 11:26am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Oh no! Bud is thinking about getting something used! :P

Posted October 30, 2012 link

Well, unlike with computers -- where no one would really want to buy an old used computer (that's five generations old, and still uses 3.5" floppies*) -- with machiens and especially with grinders, buying used can save "beaucoups bucks"!

Cheers,
Jason

* Unless, of course, you're a collector of some sort and want to start a museum one day.  ;^)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 11:32am

There is a coffee shop going out of business and they are selling what looks to me like a classic faema 2 group with the cool scoop on top and maybe even levers and 2 grinders looks like jollies, all the other coffee shop stuff for less than 10k.  It is all I can do not to call and talk to them about that thing.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 5:52am

Ron
Even if the plumber never gets back to you, I am SURE you know you can run your machine as a plumb in via bottles and a pump. Depending on how many drinks you make and the size of the bottles, it will be darn near like it is connected into the house. A few tablespoons of bleach into your waste bottle will keep nasties from growing in there and again depending on use, you might only need to empty every month or so, I get about 3 weeks on a 4 gal waste bottle. I am using a 1/4" refer/icemaker line to run my machine on with no problems so that may be another option for you. Then again a water bottle and pump.... will fit nearly anyplace and it is a HUGE improvement in the whole process when you are not thinking about pour over water tanks and full drip trays.
As always, YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 6:46am

Thanks Wayne!  I thought about that for about 1/2 a second (wife factor).  The "coffee bar" in my house is a little wine cubbie off the formal dining room.  As such, it's quite visible from the dining table.  My wife would go ballistic if I put a 5 gallon jug in the corner (which happens to be not only the only space it woulde fit on the floor in the cubbie, but the most visible part of the cubbie)...not mention the fact that it would prevent me from opening the three drawers right there.  Of course, when I do finaly get plumbing there, I'll lose those drawers anyways. One of these days I'll post a photo in the shrines thread, so you can see the area.  One of the other reasons I'm so keen on plumbing the area is that I want to have a sink there for washing stuff.  It'll be so much better than walking across the dining room and through the butler's pantry into the kitchen.  My other idea, which I think is less likely to happen within the next ten years or so, is to build in a nice wet bar in our breakfast area.  If I had that to start with, I might have more seriously considered a lever machine instead of the Duetto, and I would have the space for a commercial grinder.

Sadly the water supply will have to be brought over to the coffee bar from under the house, and though I probably could do it myself, I simply don't want to crawl under there and do the labor.  The plumber came by to do the walk through, close to when they were repairing a leak near the city's meter (the second leak in the same area).  When the main ruptured a third time, I told the guy I was still waiting for his estimate...when I called to complain that 3 leaks in 2 years after the house was built is a problem that I shouldn't have to deal with.  They never billed me for the third leak repair, but they never sent the estimate either. So, I'm planning on using the builder's new plumber (as he's no longer using these other clowns).

showing page 12 of 12 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What's the best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.435541152954)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+