Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 67 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 5:28am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

The no burn arm on the Cuadra 2 takes a tip with male threads.
 View Profile Link to this post
Rob55
Rob55
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:01am

maybe i should start another thread... I am sure it's a probably a common thing. Or maybe just e-mail Jim
grant862

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Portola Coffee Lab (yum)
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:03am

just got my Cuadra 2 days ago, the $995 version in black. Man is it a beauty. It matches the vario perfectly. Black and silver all around. I have the no burn 2 hole steam wand coming in the mail tomorrow, so we'll see if steaming is any better, but the 4 hole tip is a little hard to get the hang of...I get the right amount of foam, its just not micro foam, rather small bubble foam. Pstat was set at 1-1.1 bars and I just dropped it to .9. The steam doesn't seem to be affected by this so far.

Just to add (i tried searching for it and couldn't find anything)...I used "goo gone" to remove the sticky residue left behind by the stickers.

I noticed there is a small hole in the bottom of the drip tray (the metal portion, not the plastic insert). Is this for a drain? and has anything added one or thought of adding one? It would be nice with the long cooling flushes.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
grant862

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:09am

Also, as far as a bottomless pf goes, which ones do you guys have. I'd like for spouted pf that came with the machine and the bottomless one to line up the same when tightened in the brewhead.

I am thinking about getting this one from espresso parts http://www.espressoparts.com/F_354B (mainly b/c I like their HQ 21g baskets and could use another). Thanks

*EDIT: this portafilter works perfectly and locks in exactly the same as the one that comes with the machine...its identical other than being bottomless (and I get a 21g HQ basket)
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:28am

I saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHhxTiYVyzQ

and figured I would give Scottie Callahan's methods for dosing, distribution and tamp a try. I think he knows a thing or two about making coffee. :) I ended up so over-dosed I could not get the PF locked in and coffee was all over the screen. I guess our clearance between the basket and the screen is much  less than what the Rocket Giotto must have?
mnz

Grinder: Nemox Lux
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 2:21am

slybarman Said:

I saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHhxTiYVyzQ

and figured I would give Scottie Callahan's methods for dosing, distribution and tamp a try. I think he knows a thing or two about making coffee. :) I ended up so over-dosed I could not get the PF locked in and coffee was all over the screen. I guess our clearance between the basket and the screen is much  less than what the Rocket Giotto must have?

Posted November 21, 2012 link

I doubt that there are any major differences, since both are E61 machines. The grouphead design should be the same, shouldn't it? Our filter basket might be a little deeper, which would give a little more room for compression during tamping.

My routine is similar to the one in the video, although I knock the portafilter sideways a few times to settle the coffee, and I use my index finger to flatten out the coffe before tamping. This gives me an 18 gram dose, and I have no problems with the puck hitting the screen. It might be that I tamp a little harder than the guy in the video, though.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 5:04am

18g is my standard dose and I have no problems but I weigh each dose before grinding. Using the guy in the video's (multi time world barista champion) technique, I was obviously well over 18g. From prior experimenting, I would say well over 20. I dont have enough extra coffee to experiment right now, but next time I will try weighing the dose after loading the portafilter in this manner.
mnz

Grinder: Nemox Lux
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:25pm

slybarman Said:

18g is my standard dose and I have no problems but I weigh each dose before grinding. Using the guy in the video's (multi time world barista champion) technique, I was obviously well over 18g. From prior experimenting, I would say well over 20. I dont have enough extra coffee to experiment right now, but next time I will try weighing the dose after loading the portafilter in this manner.

Posted November 25, 2012 link

I've been observing my dosage during the last few days, and you're right, my 18 g dose actually looks a bit smaller than his all-the-way-to-the-edge dose. Since I just even out the coffee with my index finger before tamping I didn't realize that I had some space left, but I do.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
grant862

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:31am

Quick Question: of the two hoses that feed into the water reservoir, what is the small one for. I know the larger diameter hose (i believe it is a 9x6mm hose) is the water intake, but the smaller diameter hose (i believe it is 5x3mm) I am not sure what it is for. I am assuming it displaces water from the opv. Thanks

I am planning on taking my reservoir outside of the machine and need to order new silicon tubes. I got a 2.5 gallon glass jar from target, which I will drill a hole in the top of and am looking at longer silicon tubes from McMaster-Carr. So I'm wanting to see if I need to get two new longer tubes, or just the intake hose and leave the smaller hose in the internal reservoir.

*Update, I now have a 2.5 gallon reservoir for my Cuadra. Rather than get NSF 51 silicone tubing, I went to the local hardware store, got a 1/4" to 1/4" barb connector, an inner diameter 1/4" clear vinyl tubing, and connected the water intake hose and this together. Fits like a glove and the intake tube will fit nicely in the opening for your thumb to lift the cup warmer tray up. I currently left the smaller hose (for the OPV) as is, meaning it dispenses water into the internal reservoir. Probably will change this at some point. Total cost was $23 w/ tax: Glass Jar ($20), 2 feet of tubing ($1), connector ($1.50).

grant862: photo 3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:46am

Afaik - it is the return from the OPV.
showing page 67 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400762081146)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+