Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 21 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MartyRey

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rockett Espresso R58
Grinder: Baratza Varo
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 9:22am
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

Thanks for the info .. cleared up something I was intially obsessing over and explained the WLL video.
 View Profile Link to this post
stinkyonion

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:30am

Ahhh. Now I understand.  So after further testing, the line pressure is allowed into portafilter at 75 degrees, pump turns on at 90 degrees.  The "click" at 45 degrees has no externally apparent function.

As far as the front mount PID, it is difficult to tell from the photo but it is recessed about 1 cm back from front edge of drip tray.  Doesnt even have any spatter on it.  Im pretty comfortable with the minimal risk and will continue to live on the edge.  The way my wife fills every drawer to bursting it is probably safer under the machine than in the drawer where the cable and display are at risk from physical abuse.
TriHard
TriHard

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:36am

TriHard Said:

Thank you.  I had called WLL about my intermittent pump failure and they suggested opening it up and looking for a loose connection.  Unfortunately, I didn't see anything that looked loose or wasn't making a good connection.  So, I guess I will just keep monitoring the situation to see if it happens more frequently or if I can figure out some pattern to reproduce the error.

Posted December 5, 2012 link

I believe I figured out the cause of the intermittent pump failure!  This morning after pulling my shots, I had the issue happen again, and it has been almost a month since it happened the last time.  I was going to flush when it happened.  This time, I noticed that my PID was black.  So, I looked at the connection with the machine, and it had come loose.  Sure enough, when I tightened up and the PID came back on, the machine worked just fine.  I reproduced it by loosening the connection again until the light went off on the PID and sure enough the machine's pump stopped working.  So, mystery solved!  I'm not sure why Rocket used such a loose connection in the serial cable.  Back in the day those types of cables came with a way to lock it in so it wouldn't come loose.  Has anyone out there contemplated replacing the cable with one that works better?
espressOD

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 6:35am

ESL Said:

I received my R58 Friday.  When I pulled it out of the box and put it on the table I noticed the drip tray was angled at about 10 degrees and the front feet do not sit flush.  This is not normal I am assuming. I would post a picture but do not know how to shrink it to acceptable size.

Posted July 15, 2012 link

ESL, I'm glad mine didn't show up like that, hope everything got sorted out smoothly at your end.  Just curious if your Rocket R58 shipped with the legs/feet on (assembled) or in a bag.  I saw this post before my R58 shipped and was concerned as it was being shipped with UPS.  When I opened the box all was good and I noticed that the feet where not assembled and in a bag on the side.  The Styrofoam under the machine seemed to support mostly under the machine itself and not so much below where the drip tray was.  Not sure if Rocket changed their packaging or if "idrinkcoffee.ca" where I bought mine opened the box and packaged it differently to solve this potential shipping problem.  Maybe I just got lucky!

That said, I've been using my machine for 3 weeks now and so far so good.  Super pleased and not going back to drip coffee anytime soon.  This machine also cured my habit of consuming 2 to 3 cups of cafeteria coffees per day.  That cafeteria coffee tastes like sewer water now that I've spoiled myself with this machine.  An average savings of $6 per day, so $6 x 5 days a week x 52 weeks = $1560, this machine will pay for itself within the next 20 months.

ESL posted this picture

espressOD: Rocket R58 - Damage.jpg
KBO17
KBO17
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Compak K3T
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 7:13pm

The Styrofoam under the machine seemed to support mostly under the machine itself and not so much below where the drip tray was.  Not sure if Rocket changed their packaging or if "idrinkcoffee.ca" where I bought mine opened the box and packaged it differently to solve this potential shipping problem.  Maybe I just got lucky!

I just ordered mine from IDC open box sale and when I brought up the shipping issue they assured me thaT they were aware of the issue and packaged it differently to prevent damage.
lagoon79

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 7:52am

Hello, I have the same "issue" with my R-58. Does somebody know the reason? many thanks! Adam

"I have noticed that my R58 PID will show the brew temp dropping from the set point of 106 degrees to 98 or 96. This happens after the second or third shot has been pulled. For kicks, I have let the machine warm up for 10 minutes and checked, 20 minutes, 30 etc always with the same result. Im getting nice shots but Im curious what the reading is showing. Could it simply be cold water entering the brew boiler? If so is it a sound assumption that the head and the delivered water temp is stable?"
Augsburg57
Augsburg57

Grinder: Mazzer Mini E Type A
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 4:05pm

According to Seattle Coffee Gear, Rocket came out with a Version 2 for the Rocket R58, see link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyVVXq3cEXo

Major improvements include nylon drip tray rails with a magnetic catch to snug the drip tray in.  Rocket also revised the cord for the PID control to a coiled cord.
Spirit

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P-2
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 8:56pm

Augsburg57 Said:

According to Seattle Coffee Gear, Rocket came out with a Version 2 for the Rocket R58, see link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyVVXq3cEXo

Major improvements include nylon drip tray rails with a magnetic catch to snug the drip tray in.  Rocket also revised the cord for the PID control to a coiled cord.

Posted March 11, 2013 link

Well thats some nice to have! I'd love to be able to adjust my R58 with that.

Max
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
pcguy74
pcguy74

Espresso: Rocket R58, Bodum Press,...
Grinder: Nouva Simonelli MDX
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 9:10pm

Great "little" improvements all the way around.  The cord is my favorite improvement.  The drip tray hasn't given me much trouble other than it needs to be just slightly more length to the front to catch my wayward drip when flushing the group.  The ability to set both boilers is top notch!  
I can still confirm though as an early adopter that this machine just produces perfect espresso every time.  If you have the grind/tamp right it will produce shot after shot of quality espresso.  I can now recommend the machine 97% to everyone.  The 3% is the holdout for the longer drip tray!
phippster
phippster

Espresso: rocket R58
Grinder: Mazzer ELt
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 10:24pm

I had similar occurances. Ie the pump would not work. They only happened when the PID was plugged in though. It happened every time i disconnected the PID when the machine was on. Flicking the power on and off restored it. Seems like a software issue. I had another R58 that did not have this problem. It had a steam leak however and I returned it. should have maybe just replaced the 5$ part myself.
showing page 21 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.834230184555)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+