Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Isomac Venus
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Isomac Venus  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
petr_cz

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Macap MC4
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 3:11am
Subject: Isomac Venus

Hello,

I was about to buy an espresso machine, probably Rancilio, but now I have possibility to buy Isomac Venus (almost new) for half price - so now I am doubting.
I am drinking two cups of espresso or cappucino every day.
Please do you have any experience with this machine?
I just red really bad reviews (with video) on youtube... I thought isomac is a guarantee of a good quality..

Thank you for your help.
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 9:17am
Subject: Re: Isomac Venus

Hi Petr_cz,

First a disclaimer.  I have never used or even seen a Venus except in pictures and I am a Silvia owner.

If given the choice between a Silvia and a Venus at comparable prices I would go with the Venus.

My reasons:

1. Venus advertises all stainless construction.  Silvia has a mild steel frame and it will rust.

2. Venus has a pressure gauge.  Not a big deal but it's nice.

3. Styling.  Silvia has lit plastic rocker switches while Venus has metal handle lever switches and separate indicator lights.  Now this is personal preference.  Some might feel that Silvia is more "home kitchen friendly".  The more " industrial / professional" look of the Venus appeals to me and I prefer lever action switches.

Other than those differences the machines seem fairly similar to me.  

One up-side to the Silvia is that around here they are as common as belly buttons so you can get answers to any question you may have on one.

I think with both machines you may be looking at a PID in the future.  The new cost of either of these machine plus the PID will get you close to an HX machine.

If you are not doing a lot of drinks which involve steaming milk I think either of these machines at a good price plus PID can be very satisfactory.

Phil

petr_cz Said:

Hello,

I was about to buy an espresso machine, probably Rancilio, but now I have possibility to buy Isomac Venus (almost new) for half price - so now I am doubting.
I just red really bad reviews (with video) on youtube... I thought isomac is a guarantee of a good quality..

Thank you for your help.

Posted October 11, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 9:35am

Are you sure the review was for a Venus?  I found one on U-tube for an Isomac Viper.  It looked pretty bad, but this is a cheaper machine which apparently lacks a three way valve.  At that level you would probably be better off sticking with a Gagga.  I haven't heard of their cheaper machines dripping and spurting steam.

Phil

petr_cz Said:

Hello,

Thank you for your help.

Posted October 11, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 10:40am

I've been using the Venus daily for about 6 years. It's a very solid reliable machine, but you will still have to do all the magic that is required to get a SBDU machine to deliver 9 bar 200F to the coffee.
petr_cz

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 11:07am

Thank you for your responses!
So now I have this nice machine, its my first reall espresso machine, its 5 years old, but very well maintained.

My last but very important question:
How can I choose the right grinder? I am considering Macap MC4, good price- quality reviews.

Thank you!

Petr
skispresso

Espresso: isomac venus
Grinder: macap m4 doserless
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 8:11am

I'll echo Frost's experience, I love my Venus, I had to replace the pump recently but that was a user mistake on my part :P

Otherwise it has been very dependable, and durable.

I do have a macap, and really like the stepless functionality to fine-tune grind.

This site is a great resource to help find tips on working with and maintaining a single boiler machine.  In fact a lot of what applies to the Siliva applies to machines like the Isomac Venus. Be patient, and with practice you will be rewarded with great espresso.
petr_cz

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:03pm

Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to hear :-)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Isomac Venus  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.373972177505)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+