Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
NS Oscar - Weird Steam Problems
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > NS Oscar - Weird...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 6:57pm
Subject: Re: NS Oscar - Weird Steam Problems

I apologize if you already mentioned but did you confirm that you steam wand and tip we're clear? As far as maintenance goes, have you purged the steam wand after every steaming ?
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 7:03pm

Yes, I can confirm the tip is perfectly clean. We just took it off and reinstalled it to confirm. Every time I steam, I'm extremely conscientious about wiping it off and blowing out any milk that may have been inside.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 10:59pm

Okay, I can definitely confirm it's "pulsing" when steaming, which is ruining the milk. My milk is coming out soggy and when I watch the steamwand by itself, it spits out short bursts of wetter steam at random, no matter how long it runs. I am really stumped here.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 3:50am

I may be an idiot. Although the steam tip was fine, I noticed the behavior of the steam changed when I tilted the wand up, indicating water was catching in the first bend of the wand. I took a thin pipe cleaner and fished it up through the wand as far as it could go, then pulled it out. Immediately, I noticed a major improvement. Is there a more efficient way of cleaning out a steam line, short of disassembling the entire thing?
hotwasabipeas

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL, CC1, NS...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 886
Drip: Flavia SB100 (makes a hot...
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 1:50pm

How wet is or was your steam?  I am always a little worried that my steam is not the driest and I was wondering if you get some slight wetness on your hands if you try holding your hand in the path of the steam?  I notice some wetness on my hands when I do this and I don't know if that is abnormal or not?  Should the steam be completely dry and not leave any moisture on hands or the countertop?
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 12:50pm

Steam is water vapor, so as soon as it hits something that's not boiling it's going to condense into water. Case in point: Running a little pipe cleaner up into the wand and scrubbing a little was the magic fix. The steam is back to normal now and I'm once again making effortless microfoam. The steam flow is VERY sensitive, and the tiniest bit of scale/dried milk/boiler droppings inside the wand can cause a brief spot for the steam to condense and turn into water. Combine this with high pressure, and you've got steam that's intermittently wet and dry. This is the difference between a smooth roll at the end of your frothing and the horrific screech and soggy bubbles that caused me to tear my hair out and blow through a gallon of half-and-half in frustration. Another big factor to consider is your steam tip. Are you using the stock Oscar tip, the new smaller hole tip from NS, or a third party tip? I personally found the four holes to be frustrating and overkill for 6oz of milk at a time, so I ran up to Seattle Coffee Gear and bought a Rancilio Silvia single hole tip, which made the process way easier to control. I do highly recommend this mod for anyone who is having trouble steaming on the Oscar and isn't frothing more than 10oz at a time.
saranoelle
saranoelle

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita BV1800TH,...
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 12:03pm

I just had the same thing happen to me today with my Oscar- sudden problem with producing any sort of microfoam at all after a couple years with no issues. Same organic whole milk that I've been using all along. No other symptoms exhibited by the machine. A quick search here and found this thread. Fortunately, skipped the other troubleshooting tips suggested and first tried cleaning out the wand with a pipe cleaner. Problem solved!

So thankful again for this forum and community, and the wealth of information here. It's irreplaceable for us home enthusiasts.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 1:52pm

Wow I haven't been on here in over six months and I see that I actually solved someone's problem for once! :) Glad it's working out for you. I don't even have Oscar anymore, but man did I learn a lot on that little black beast.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > NS Oscar - Weird...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.354062080383)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+