Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
NS Oscar - Weird Steam Problems
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > NS Oscar - Weird...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 1:21pm
Subject: NS Oscar - Weird Steam Problems

So for weeks I've been using the Oscar and have honed a very good technique for steaming milk. I get microfoam almost every time, and one of the biggest reasons I bought the Oscar was for the HX and the strong steam for making milk-based drinks. However, the last few days I've been failing miserably every time. The problem comes when I'm done riding the milk and ready to roll it. I stick the steam wand deeper, as usual, and instead of getting that nice spinning motion I get this horrible screeching and the milk just kind of sits in a goopy mess at the top, not moving much at all. While I would be quick to judge my technique at fault here, I've been getting consistent results for weeks with a fairly sizeable variation of milk quality (it's actually a roughly 50/50 mixture of water and Half-and-Half since I'm on a low-carb diet). I've had no problems and now, all of a sudden, I feel like I'm back with my Starbucks Barista.

Now one thing I should mention is that I've been noticing some interesting behavior during brewing, mainly that I hear a lot of clicking and variation in the pump noise and power. Could these all be symptoms of my PStat going south? Or am I just going crazy again and have forgotten how to steam foam?
 View Profile Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 2:38pm
Subject: Re: NS Oscar - Weird Steam Problems

First question is have you changed the milk (half and half) recently?  Are you using organic?  Milk brands can vary quite a bit.  I've also experienced with organic milk is it can vary from season to season.  Also, how does it appear to steam up to the point where you try to incorporate (sink the wand)?  

Depends on what you mean; could you explain a little more about the noises/behavior during the brewing process?  Could be pstat.... or a myriad of other things.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 3:06pm

I think it was losing power. I wasn't getting the initial rush when I started steaming. I spoke to a nice tech at NS and he suggested upping the Pstat by two full turns. I did that and the steam pressure seems much more intense. I will report back when I buy more half and half tonight. To answer your earlier question, I'm using my same brand, from WinCo in the half gallon cartons, so I'm using the same milk, same pitcher, etc.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 8:13pm

Makes me wonder if something is leaking somewhere.  Seems odd it is acting different all of a sudden.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 8:23pm

It's certainly possible, as I wrenched around the steam pipe pretty fiercely. But it was fine all week since then and I don't see any leaks when I have the cover off. However, the weather's been getting a bit cold lately. Either way, it seems like the steam is much more forceful after tweaking the Pstat. I'm looking forward to testing it tonight. I pulled a pretty decent shot after making the adjustment so it seems to brew okay still.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 9:55pm

Turning up the P'stat to get more steam also raises the brew temperature.
Trading better steam for worse espresso.
Robbing Peter to Pay Paul.
Almond Joy's got nuts.. Mounds don't.
Return all film parts around the proper reel.
Keep your hands and feet inside at all times while the car is in motion.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:16pm

I thought this could be compensated for by a longer cooling flush? As it stands, the way the Pstat was set before was giving me reducing steam power. Besides, the NS tech said that the diaphragm in the Pstat stiffens with age and that giving it two full turns was his recommendation. What should I do?
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 3:24am

Well, either way, this seems to have fixed the issue. Not only is the steam nice and powerful, but my espresso is coming out a bit more consistently. When I first got this machine, I was worried that it was brewing way too cool. I just pulled a delicious 60ml shot in 32 seconds with a nice mottled crema and decent tiger striping throughout. I can't really ask for much more than that. Here's hoping it stays fixed this time.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 3:52am

Markarian Said:

I thought this could be compensated for by a longer cooling flush? As it stands, the way the Pstat was set before was giving me reducing steam power. Besides, the NS tech said that the diaphragm in the Pstat stiffens with age and that giving it two full turns was his recommendation. What should I do?

Posted October 9, 2012 link

In between descaling I will have to adjust the Pstat up a couple of different times to compensate for some build up and my water is not that hard.

How long since a descale? Have you checked your steam tip for any obstructions? The newer small hole steam needs some poking every week to keep it steaming at full power, the stock tip never seamed to get much milk build up in the holes..
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 4:52am

I just descaled a few weeks ago. The inside of the boiler and heating element look cherry after two packets of Dezcal. The steam tip is less than two month old, but I will check it for obstructions. I have noticed so far that the first pull during a session with the Pstat set higher is more bitter and has more blonding in the shot. Do I just need an even longer cooling flush?
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > NS Oscar - Weird...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.456943035126)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+