Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 62 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 5:58am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Re the thermometer - I would think so, but best to email Eric to be certain. He will get back to you quickly I am sure.

Re steaming milk - you haven't really said what issue you are trying to correct. What is the texture of the milk you are getting now?
 View Profile Link to this post
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 7:32am

I will shoot Eric an email and check on the depth of the thermometer
Regarding the milk, the foam is just not fully integrating.  I can sometimes get a little thicker milk but it's still too airy with a thick blob at the end.  Lengthening he "whirlpool" time by sinking at 80 degrees instead of 100 degrees did help but I'm still not really there yet.  If I sink any earlier than 80 degrees, I don't seem to get enough volume and the milk stays too thin.  Or, I get too big of bubbles trying to get the air in faster.

I actually got better foam with my old steam toy but of course the "espresso" was nasty.Before purchasing this machine, I was getting ready to buy a Silvia because it seemed to be the least expensive "decent" espresso machine that you could produce microfoam with.  After much research, it seemed that most people ended up spending a bunch of money modifying their Silvia or they eventually upgraded to a better machine.  I decided to forego that step when I read about the Cuadra and talked with Jim at 1st Line.

I'm only making one drink in the morning so I wouldn't mind slowing the process down with either a 2 hole tip with smaller holes or with a 1 hole tip.  I don't know if either of those is available for this machine.  If it's just me and I need more practice, then practice I will.  But if I'm just beating my head against a wall and it's not ever going to happen . . .  I'd like to know.  That's why I'm asking whether anyone else has been able to perfect their foam using the Cuadra II's 2 hole tip.

Does anyone know what other tips are available for the Cuadra's no burn steam arm?

I'd also like to know if a bell shaped pitcher will help me out with the larger (10 oz) quantity of milk I'm trying to steam.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 10:41am

You should be able to do just fine with the 2 hole tip.

I start with the tip in the center and pointing 90 degrees down into the milk and the tip right at the very top surface of the milk where it generates that tearing sound. I open the valve and keep the tip there for around 3 seconds or so. I then submerge the tip to the joint where the tip meets the wand. This creates a standing wave where the milk roils along the walls of the pitcher. I keep it here until the side of the pitcher is hot to the touch. If you are getting a really stiff foam, you are probably steaming it too long. Then I further incorporate the foam by swirling it quite vigorously on the counter for a few seconds.

That is it. No special voodoo. Just keep practicing. For practice purposes anyway, you may do better with a higher fat content. I find ow fat content milk sometimes harder to work with. In any event, try several different brands of 1%, you my be surprised to find how different they are. There was 1 brand I could net get to steam up right no matter what I did with it.
Rob55
Rob55

Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 1:32pm

I went and got 2 more fuses.... after changing the electric outlet I tried the machine again. Fuse lasted about 36 hours. So I waited for the new relay to come. It arrived on Saturday and I put it in that evening. I got one espresso in this morning and fuse is out again.... so I got 4 days out of it with the new relay....  I am pretty much stumped. It was kind of what I was afraid of .... is the relay causing the fuse to blow or is the fuse blowing causing the relay to smoke up.... I guess the problem is elsewhere but I don't know where else to look. out of fuses again... and I went to get more ... they said they were out I got em all.... lol...  only been a couple other places but they didn't have any either... I am fuseless too .... trusty Lelit is up and running again.

BTW ... those of you who got the new wand with 2 hole tip..... how did you get that horrible taste out of it? I tried 3 different times to use it .... I hardly ever toss a shot .... all 3 of these went down the sink. I removed it from the machine and went back to stock one.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 3:23pm

Rob55 Said:

I went and got 2 more fuses.... after changing the electric outlet I tried the machine again. Fuse lasted about 36 hours. So I waited for the new relay to come. It arrived on Saturday and I put it in that evening. I got one espresso in this morning and fuse is out again.... so I got 4 days out of it with the new relay....  I am pretty much stumped. It was kind of what I was afraid of .... is the relay causing the fuse to blow or is the fuse blowing causing the relay to smoke up.... I guess the problem is elsewhere but I don't know where else to look. out of fuses again... and I went to get more ... they said they were out I got em all.... lol...  only been a couple other places but they didn't have any either... I am fuseless too .... trusty Lelit is up and running again.

BTW ... those of you who got the new wand with 2 hole tip..... how did you get that horrible taste out of it? I tried 3 different times to use it .... I hardly ever toss a shot .... all 3 of these went down the sink. I removed it from the machine and went back to stock one.

Posted October 18, 2012 link

If it was me, I would do the following:

1) Take the machine some place else with known good modern wiring with no issues. Plug it in there for a couple of days. If no fuse issues, then focus on your home's wiring.

2) If the fuse still blows at that location, then get the machine back to Jim for warranty service.
Rob55
Rob55

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 4:03am

I have lived here for 21 years.... no other electrical appliance has had any problem working ...or blown fuses...or kicked a breaker. My Lelit ran in this same place for over a year and still works there just fine. The machine doesn't have a service warranty .... 90 days....then parts only for a year. I put in a call to Moses and he wasn't available........ soon as i left he called, and when i got back they were closed. Shipping it back would cost a fortune i am sure.... still right now its a thousand dollar paper weight....

What I keep wondering.... the site shows the replacement fuse as a 15A .... the fuse in the machine is 6.3 ..... if the fuse is too small it will blow no matter what. Meanwhile while I ponder all my less then desirable options.... the Lelit is keeping me going .... lol .... boy am I glad i kept it

As for the electric in the house.... I upgraded it to GFI .... short of rewiring which isn't going to happen .... thats as good as it going to get. I build and work on computers... never a single issue with the electric. So my machine is more delicate then a 20 dollar toaster? ..... if it can't work on normal USA electric then its basically useless.... my neighbor talked to electrician who is supposed to call me, but he hasn't yet.

The people at 1st-Line have worked with me when I have contacted them... I have no problem with them and the Cuadra is a nice machine when it's working...it's just typical that if there is one with a problem I would be the one to get it ... lol
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 4:49am

A few things:

1) As I said, it is what I would do in order to eliminate the possibility of the issue being anything external to the machine.

2) There is no question that the machine draws more than 6 amps. The boiler is 1400w which means 14 amps at 110v (or thereabout). 6 amps was the 220 equivalent (or thereabout). Perhaps someone looked up the fuse amperage in the La Nouva documentation and gave you the fuse rating for 220v. I would explore that possibility with Jim.

3) If this has been an issue since the machine was new, I have no doubt than Jim should and would handle it as a warranty repair. I seem to recall him saying something at one point about them covering the labor charge of having a machine repaired locally. I would explore that with him as well.
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 11:12am

Rob55 Said:

I have lived here for 21 years.... no other electrical appliance has had any problem working ...or blown fuses...or kicked a breaker. My Lelit ran in this same place for over a year and still works there just fine. The machine doesn't have a service warranty .... 90 days....then parts only for a year. I put in a call to Moses and he wasn't available........ soon as i left he called, and when i got back they were closed. Shipping it back would cost a fortune i am sure.... still right now its a thousand dollar paper weight....

What I keep wondering.... the site shows the replacement fuse as a 15A .... the fuse in the machine is 6.3 ..... if the fuse is too small it will blow no matter what. Meanwhile while I ponder all my less then desirable options.... the Lelit is keeping me going .... lol .... boy am I glad i kept it

As for the electric in the house.... I upgraded it to GFI .... short of rewiring which isn't going to happen .... thats as good as it going to get. I build and work on computers... never a single issue with the electric. So my machine is more delicate then a 20 dollar toaster? ..... if it can't work on normal USA electric then its basically useless.... my neighbor talked to electrician who is supposed to call me, but he hasn't yet.

The people at 1st-Line have worked with me when I have contacted them... I have no problem with them and the Cuadra is a nice machine when it's working...it's just typical that if there is one with a problem I would be the one to get it ... lol

Posted October 20, 2012 link

Rob, I did suspect the relay was not going to solve the problem as someone else mentioned that it did, but I was willing to give it a try by sending you the replacement part. The fuse is there for protection of the inbound electricity. I do suspect an electrical fault that keeps tripping the fuse.

As I responded to your email about your voltage being over 125 , it is over 125 and I truly suspect this is where the issue is. In the email, you mentioned that it fluctuates between 125-127 volts and you noticed the fluctuation occurs when the heating element kicks on and off. I do suspect there was a change in the electricity in the 36 hours that somehow affected this fuse. The fuse is there for protection and will cut based on the electricity. It is better for the fuse to go than to get hit at the brain unit or the heating element. The fuse is there to protect your machine. I will have Tech Support send you 3 extra fuses. Although you could, I would suggest not leaving your machine on all the time. Power down when not in use.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Rob55
Rob55

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 5:17pm

Thanks Jim, I appreciate it. As to the voltage coming from the outlet.... once again I am not an electrician. The meter I bought is a cheapy.... it also has an adjustment for zero and the markings are about 3 each i think. When I am checking it I get 120...one line and a bit more....so more then 123 but less then 126... if the meter is adjusted correctly and is accurate.

I did a bit of research. The original Cuadra made to use in Italy is 1400W and would need a 250V fuse. Judging by the fuse that came in my machine T6.3AL 250V.... this would handle 1575W. So the heating element is 1400 that leaves 175 for the pump. I think their actual voltage is 230 which figures out to 1449W with a 6.3 fuse. I imagine there is a slight amount of "extra" built in so lets assume the pump maybe draws 35W ....so our version is 1200W + 35W for the pump is 1235 with 14 as the same cushion makes 1249. What I read is .... as voltage decreases, amperage increases. So if I leave the wattage at 1249 and decrease the voltage to 110 then I would require a 11.3A fuse. If I say my voltage is 125 then I need a 9.99A fuse. I would think a 10A fuse would fill the bill.

I stopped at Radio Shack they had the type fuse I had in 10A and I got FOUR 10A fuses for $3.19. According to the calculator I found a 6.3A fuse on a 110 current will only handle 693W. At my 125 it would handle 787.5W.

Now if all I can safely handle is 787W and my heating element draws 1200W... its no wonder the fuses are blowing out. It's surprising they are lasting as long as they do. In Europe that 6.3 fuse would be fine .... but not for here. I have to wonder why others haven't had problems... or if they have a different fuse then I do.

Anyhow ... once again 1st-Line is all over it ..... I am very glad I made my purchases from them. I got my Lelit from them also.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 6:07am

Rob:

If you give me a photo of where the fuse is, I will check the amperage of the fuse in my machine.
showing page 62 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.406768083572)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+