Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Manual Espresso machines
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Manual Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Dazzler83

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: moka stove top
Grinder: manual burr
Vac Pot: -
Drip: -
Roaster: -
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 1:45am
Subject: Manual Espresso machines

Hey new here not so sure how this forum works so i'll just wing it and catch up.

i'm starting to do some resurch on sub GBP150.00 manual espresso machines.  

two that i have been looking at are the 'handpresso' and 'presso espresso' machines.

this is me. if you would like to know more please read my profile or feel free to ask questions.

Dazzler83: me.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 2:48am
Subject: Re: Manual Espresso machines

]

Dazzler83 Said:

Hey new here not so sure how this forum works

Posted October 10, 2012 link

One of the most basic rules of netiquette is to lurk on a forum for at least a week, reading everything you can before you post. If you had taken some time to do so, you would have known that
your post would have been better answered in the Lever Espresso Machines Forum. Would a moderator be so kind as to move this post into that forum please?

I'm sorry if I sound rude, I don't mean to be.

I've posted in the lever machines forum before asking if buying a lever machine was a good (And cheaper) alternative to buying a conventional semi-auto or auto pump-based machine.
Believe me, it isn't. I've tried to go down that road.

I can't really provide an opinion about either machine you've mentioned because I haven't used them, but here's some information below if you are interested in going down the road of serious espresso preparation:

There are two types of "real" lever espresso machines. The first is a completely manual type, which requires physical force to extract the espresso. These machines are finicky, unforgiving and
require a skilled operator to use. They typically start in around the $900 (Roughly 450 pounds) mark when they are new. The most commonly known brand of manual lever machines are La Pavoni.
You MAY be able to find a decently priced used La Pavoni lever machine for your budget though. Give them a good hard look first.

The second type is what is called a "Spring-Type" lever machine. These machines have a spring which does the hard work, you use the lever to cock it. A well known spring-type lever
machine out there for home use is the Elektra Micro Casa Da Leva machine. They usually start out at the $1800 mark, or roughly around 900 pounds. I've seen used versions of this machine sell
for nearly half that. These machines don't require as much physical force and make a much more consistent espresso shot than a completely manual machine.

BTW, Nice camera. If you want something nice to Photograph, the a Elektra Micro Casa Da Leva machine is a very photogenic machine and is a wonderful piece of steampunk style art
which just happens to make great espresso. :-) I fell in love with the looks of them on first sight.

These lever machines are really only designed to make one or two drinks at a time. You have to be very patient with them and very forgiving because they won't be. Everything matters when
it comes to these machines. Dose, grind, tamp, extraction pressure (Only for the La Pavoni) and the method the operator uses to extract the espresso.  

Dazzler83 Said:

two that i have been looking at are the 'handpresso' and 'presso espresso' machines.

Posted October 10, 2012 link

Please go to the reviews section of this site and read the reviews on these machines.

"Handpresso Manual Espresso Machine"
http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/pressomanual

Both of these machines look like they would be good if you wanted to make espresso on the go, but I don't think that they're ideal for regular daily use. At least not IMHO.

As well, any "real" espresso machine, lever or not, is fussy about grind. Are you planning on purchasing a good espresso grinder to go with it? If not, you will get disappointing results.

If you want the true manual experience of making an espresso, consider doubling your budget and consider an Orphan Espresso Pharos hand grinder.
Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

Once you have obtained the grinder, then consider the machine.

Good luck.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 5:08am
Subject: Re: Manual Espresso machines

With espresso (and coffee in general) the grinder is much more important than the machine. Not all burr grinders are able to grind for espresso so just having a burr grinder is no guarantee that you can make espresso.

Please read our how to buy an espresso FAQ, it is fairly long with several chapters, please read them all. Then come back and ask questions.
http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Manual Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395884990692)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+