Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio Silvia Owners -- please advise
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rgalang

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silva
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 10:15am
Subject: Rancilio Silvia Owners -- please advise

My Silvia has served me well for the past 6 years. Lately, I notice the first pour struggles quite a bit. Or the water isn't getting through as quickly as it used to. Waiting about 15-20 seconds before the water comes through. Espresso is tasting sub-par using the same beans and grind settings as before. Steamer seems to be working normally.

What should I be looking out for to replace if any? I should add that I have also installed the PID Kit 5 years ago to control the water temperature. I love the Silvia and hope that it serves me for more years to come.

Thanks in advance!

- edit -
I've also been pretty diligent about cleaning the system out with Cleancaf/ Decalcifier every 4 months at the longest.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 10:51am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia Owners -- please advise

Silvia can handle abbreviated backflushing as part of your cleaning/maintenance regimen.  However, I'd recommend removing the shower screen and taking a good look at the group and the screen itself.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:03am

Unfortunately, there is no way to check for scale to verify that your descaling process has been sufficient short of taking the boiler apart. A portafilter-mounted manometer to check if the pump is working properly would be a start. You could possible mount one temporarily to the steam wand, but that valve and related seals are not mean to hold pressure, so don't do it for long.

It could be that the grinder is now making dust because of worn burrs or other problems. That would account for poor taste and slow flows as well.

Have you ever tested the water for hardness and alkalinity? it is possible that descaling every six months is insufficient for your usage.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rgalang

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:47pm

Thanks for the suggestion emradguy. As I dig deeper, I'm realizing the gasket is way past it's expected lifespan. I watched on a YouTube video that it should be replaced every 2 years? Is that accurate? I went ahead and ordered a new gasket and screen and will replace it.

As far as back flushing, this was definitely new to me. I've only just ran the detergent through the system every few months, but no back flushing. For every drink, I would run water through the portafilter and brush any excess grounds off.

Based on the comments, I'm glad to know that there aren't any expected major repairs for the Silvia.
rgalang

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:50pm

Thanks frcn. WRT the grinder. I've replaced the burrs and it's running fine. And the water, I'm putting in Arrowhead mountain spring water only. Perhaps you're right about descaling. The revelation of backflushing will probably help moving forward as well.
frcn
frcn

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 1:17pm

rgalang Said:

As far as back flushing, this was definitely new to me. I've only just ran the detergent through the system every few months, but no back flushing. .

Posted October 9, 2012 link

I hope not. I hope what you ran through the system was DESCALER and NOT detergent.
I would recommend:
- disassembling the 3-way and giving it a prolonged soak in backflush detergent (I recommend Urnex products).
see: http://memweb.newsguy.com/~jenkins/silvia/
- replacement of the group gasket
- removal of the screen and dispersion disk for external cleaning as above.
- backflush with detergent until the water flows out clean.

Visit My Website
rgalang

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 1:49pm

frcn Said:

I hope not. I hope what you ran through the system was DESCALER and NOT detergent.

Yes! I was using Urmex Cleancaf. Isn't it referred to as detergent as well? Or am I mixed up? I've only used Urmex Cleancaf for any internal cleanse.  

Thanks for the link, that is really helpful!
frcn
frcn

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 7:29pm

rgalang Said:

Yes! I was using Urmex Cleancaf. Isn't it referred to as detergent as well? Or am I mixed up? I've only used Urmex Cleancaf for any internal cleanse.

Whoops... Cleancaf only is for cleaning coffee oils. Use to clean coffee makers, carafes, etc. I do not believe it should be used in the reservoir of the coffee machine. It can be used to clean the portafilter and ground parts, extrernally, and for backflushing. If you put this in the reservoir I would run a descaler. I use Cafiza for backflushing and cleaning these parts.

Dezcal is for descaling and should be mixed according to instructions and used in the reservoir and sent through the boiler and other piping to remove scale. It is basically activated citric acid.

Visit My Website
rgalang

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 8:41pm

Oh man... ok. Waiting on replacement parts then will do an overall clean up using the proper chemicals! Thank you so much frcn. I've got a lot to learn! Nice site by the way.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.430624008179)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+