Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 60 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 6:32am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Rob55 Said:

I looked at "parts" on 1st-Line for the Cuadra. They show a 15A fuse. I have had mine apart and the only glass style fuse I seen was in the plug. That one is T6.3AL 250V which is nothing like a 15A. I wonder if this adresses my problem with blown fuses... perhaps some others have had the problem and they recommend to go to the bigger fuse. I guess I need to call them and see if I can get any info.

Posted October 8, 2012 link

Assuming the same wattage heating element, 6.6 amp on 250 would be comparable to 15 amp on 110 (250/110 x 6.6 = 15). In any case, I would say you need to get with Jim and get to the bottom of the issue. Swapping blown fuses is treating the symptom and not the problem.
 View Profile Link to this post
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 12:53pm

Rob55 Said:

Hi guys .. been awhile since i stopped in and it took some time to catch up on all I hadn't read since last I was here.

A quick question... is anyone else besides me having trouble with the fuse under the power plug blowing out? If so do you just keep replacing it or have you found a fix? This morning I had my 8th fuse blow out since I got the machine in Dec. After the first one went I keep spares on hand.... sadly last time I got 3 and about a week ago I had to replace one and the next one went out about 30 minutes later and so no more spares and I had to break out my Lelit to have my morning fix. These fuse are slow blow and cost about $3.50 a pop.... so I have about 25 bucks in fuses in 9 months... and its getting old. I am glad I kept the Lelit as a back up. :-)

Posted October 7, 2012 link

Hi Rob,

As I mentioned over the phone about 1-2 weeks ago, this fuse at the inlet of the electrical power cord is more of protective feature for 'dirty' electricity. In other words, it will blow for poor power coming in, and from my understanding, it has nothing to do with power coming out. Alternatively, it is made to protect the internal electrical components from 'dirty' electricity, but it is not 100% foolproof. If these fuse keeps blowing, it means

a) there are electrical spikes in the electricity from the electric company, or
b) there are electrical spikes coming from other appliances on the same circuit, or
c) there is a possibility of too much voltage coming into the machine.

I strongly suggest getting a surge suppressor of 1080 joules or higher to protect the fuse and machine. Please note that this has not been a widespread problem. We had to replace the first fuse on about 5 machines. After this, I can not remember anyone else going through multiple fuses, and this raises my suspicion on the electrical supply.

In addition, please check the voltage several times throughout a day, month, and week to see if there are changes. I just had an emergency light blow out in our warehouse and the reason was that the electric company was feeding 290 volts where we are only supposed to get 277 volts. And, only one of 8 emergency lights blew.

If you can, please keep me informed via email on your progress of checking the electricity.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 2:20pm

Jim - what voltage will blow the fuse?

I assume he would need a surge suppressor of a sufficiently low clamping voltage to have any effect.
Rob55
Rob55

Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 8:45pm

Thanks Jim for the reply. I am not sure who you mentioned it to on the phone 2 weeks ago, but I can assure you it wasn't me. I think I was the first one who had a fuse go and I did call you guys back then.(in Dec) Whoever I spoke to there had me take the machine apart ...both sides, top, back, water reservoir, frame for reservoir.... and heck I can't remember what all. I happen to notice the fuse by accident... it's kind of hard to see. I called back and the guy told me it didn't have a fuse. Anyhow he checked and decided yea it had a fuse. You guys didn't replace it .... I did. But you also took care of me (and thanks for that).

I am not sure what else might be on that circuit, but I will try and check. No idea what a joule is ...guess I will see what I can find out .... also I wouldn't have the first clue how much voltage there is coming from the outlet.... or how to check it or even what to check it with... suffice to say I know absolutely zip about electricity. I am sure someone I know will understand....if I can figure out who to ask.

Meanwhile I will not use it until I find out something definitive. Besides ... the Lelit has been making some super shots (plugged right where the Cuadra was plugged in) I will say that in the 20 years I have lived here nothing else has had a problem working perfectly from this outlet.

Thanks for all the info though. Hopefully I can find someone that knows what it all means.
t3chiman

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: hand
Drip: Brazen
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 3:22am

Rob55 Said:

Thanks for all the info though. Hopefully I can find someone that knows what it all means.

Posted October 8, 2012 link

It means that your serious, potentially hazardous, problem is not being properly addressed.

A fuse blows due to current in excess of its rating passing through it for a specified period of time. A fuse responds only to current, not to (changes in) voltage--which is what terms like "surge" or a "spike" refer to. So putting suppressor devices in the circuit will do nothing to alleviate your current-related problem.

What to do? First, stop replacing fuses. You gotta find out what's drawing all that current. The typical culprits are crossed wires and defective components. Because coffee makers are pretty simple electrically--heating coil, switch, bang-bang controller--I would suspect first an intermittent short involving internal wiring. Since you have burned so many fuses, there will be some smoke and soot damage internally by this time. Open the unit and take a good look around.

The unit is working otherwise, so the problem is most likely something trivial. If it turns out that it isn't, it's time to get some warranty work done.

Hope this helps.
Rob55
Rob55

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 9:07am

I have done a little research trying to follow some of the above advice. To keep from boring any of you to death... I will just state one of the things I have found...

A surge protector does no good at all if its not on a grounded line. Since my house was built in 1948 the only places it has grounded service is in the few places I have updated since I lived here. The kitchen one where I use the Cuadra is not one of the ones updated. I took the cover off and had a look... the wiring is ancient so I suspect it might be the culprit as suggested by t3chiman. A workaround I found says to use a GFI .. I happen to have a new one of those, but I am not sure there is room to fit it in there. However I probably can put that in myself... problem is the wiring may be brittle after all this time and it doesn't look like they left ANY spare wire to work with. There is also a light switch connected in with it. This means I probably won't attempt it .... lol
t3chiman

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:53pm

To reiterate and clarify:

You have a problem  with excess current. Overvoltage ("surge") protection devices are not relevant in this context, and do no good.

The symptoms suggest that an intermittent wiring short circuit is responsible. I meant that  wires internal to the machine are shorted, not internal to the wall. Open up the machine and trace the wires from the plug all the way through the motor, switches, lights, thermostats, etc.. There's gotta be some scorching or melted insulation somewhere. Find it and clean it up.

A simple volt-ohmmeter is a big help in chasing down short circuits; they are about 7 dollars at Harbor Freight these days.

It would be a good idea to update the machine's wall outlet to 3 wire. Attaching the green wire to the outlet box is the usual way to do it. In any event, it's better than using a cheater plug adapter, or cutting off the ground prong.

GFCI is not called for.

Hope this helps.
Rob55
Rob55

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:45am

I went ahead and replaced the receptacle anyhow...with a GFI ...its close to the sink and should be GFI. There is also a light switch covered by the same plate and I replaced it too while I was at it.

I wouldn't even consider cutting the ground prong and I wasn't using the cheater adapter. The receptacle would take the 3 prong even though its not wired for the 3rd one to do any good. Also got a tester to check ACV. Need to read how it works yet.

I took apart my machine and inspected the wiring. Couldn't find and loose wires or burnt wires.... however I did find this part click here on the right side in this picture or opposite the wire to have that chamber smoked over a bit. Now I don't know if this part is causing the problem or if the problem has caused this part to look that way. Will replacing it fix my problem or will the new one look like that as soon as I blow a fuse or 2.

Side note... the light switch and receptacle were on 2 different circuits... no other major appliances were on the same circuit as the espresso maker.

and thank you t3chiman I needed the clarification.. I did read it wrong and think you meant with my wiring rather then internal to the machine.
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:54pm

Just received and am starting to install my new thermometer. Were there any variances to the instructions for the Cuadra? So excited to see how much it helps me!
t3chiman

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 1:13pm

Rob55 Said:

however I did find this part click here on the right side in this picture or opposite the wire to have that chamber smoked over a bit. Now I don't know if this part is causing the problem or if the problem has caused this part to look that way. Will replacing it fix my problem or will the new one look like that as soon as I blow a fuse or 2.

Posted October 10, 2012 link

The answer is: Who knows? Relay contacts do stick occasionally; if one contact is not breaking before the other is making, that's a short circuit right there. No way to tell at a distance. If the machine were out of warranty, I would get a new relay, see if makes a difference. The FINDER - 40.61.8.240.0000 - POWER RELAY is 10 bucks at Newark. In warranty, I'd just ask the dealer to send me a new board. If it fixes the problem, fine. If  not, more mutual effort is called for.
showing page 60 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.442439079285)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+