Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Office machine advise
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Office machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
leroygibbs

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 2:15pm
Subject: Office machine advise

Hello folks!

I'm in need of some advice, for an admittedly, luxury problem. After countless years of complaining about the coffee in the office, I've been given a budget from the boss (yeah, the wife) for a new espresso machine. I want to stay under $5,000 and we need a 2 group machine. It's an office if about 20 people, 6 of which are espresso addicts, me included. To give an idea on volume, we average about 40 shots a day, (now from a local coffee shop that's gone down hill after new management) excluding guests and events. We usually have a dozen or so guests for seminars a couple days a month. I've got a "spare" Mazzer Mini at home that's never been unpacked to donate to the cause.

Now, do I go new or used? What are some solid options until I can swing a La Marzocco GB 5 (probably day after hell freezes over)? Any recommended places to buy from?

Thank you all in advance for the guidance!
 View Profile Link to this post
Perked
Perked

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 2:27pm
Subject: Re: Office machine advise

Used options are not bad at all. Take a look at some refurbished or used models and decide if the price difference is worth it.

while not experienced in this type of price range, I would guess that $5k is a hefty budget to go with, but I'm sure others here can give you a better idea on this.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 2:34pm

In an office, I'd want something with a service contract, so nobody's time is taken up doing repairs or larger maintenance. I'd also want to arrange a training for all the espresso addicts in the office. Consequently, I'd find out who are the local suppliers who do commercial installation and service, and find out what they carry and what kind of deal you can get. You may even be able to get a lease deal on a machine with service that'll enable you to save up for that GB-5.

At $5k, you have a lot of options, from Magister and Fiorenzata up to some Elektra and Faema dual group machines.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 4:22pm

OK, first of all, let's look at average, day-in, day-out operations:

How serious do you want to get?  Seriously.  

How skilled are your fellow "addicts"?  Who is going to train them in how the machine works?  Who is going to be responsible for the weekly cleaning and routine maintenance?  (Or do you think what you need is a super-automatic, because the truth is all they want to do is push a button . . . )

I see no reason for you to get a 2-group machine.  That's for a busy café that has multiple drinks running at once.  With 40 shots a day, in an eight hour day, that's an average of 5 shots an hour.  Even presuming all six of the "addicts" want coffee at roughly the same time, it's only going to a matter of a few minutes wait time.  At most (IMHO), you need a 1-group commercial (or prosumer) machine, and two grinders -- one for regular, and a second for decaf and/or a special Single Origin espresso.

OK, now -- regarding the times you'll be having those "dozen or so guests for seminars" . . .

Once again, you need to designate someone as the official "barista" for seminars, and someone as a "runner" to serve the drinks.  Yes, the guests will (probably) have to wait a bit longer if you have a single-group machine, so you need to weigh whether the extra expense is worth it for the 2-4 days a month it will be advantageous to have it.

Some specific ideas . . .

In the HX realm of commercial machines, look at

-- Elektra "Sixties": the T1, a single group for $2,995; or the T3, a two-group for $4,946.
-- La Cimbali Junior Casa DT1, a single-group for $3,095; or, La Cimbali M29 Select, or La Cimbali M29 Start
-- Nuova Simonelli Appia 1 group, or Nuova Simonelli Appia 2 group.

In the DB realm of prosumer machines, look at

-- Izzo Alex Duetto II, a 1-group for $2,250
-- Rocket R58, a 1-group for $2,699

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 4:57pm

A pair of K30s or a K30 Twin on grinders plus either the T-1 or the Duetto (like Jason said).

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
joatmon

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 6:55am

Removed
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 8:18am

Jack, while I agree that a commercial lever is indeed an option -- I thought seriously about linking a 2-group Pompeii to my list -- I'm still concerned about the logistics of who will operate and maintain the machine . . . and levers have their own requirements in that department.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Perked
Perked

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:25am

I definitely think it's important to understand who is capable of using the machine and who isn't. Anyone could use it, but do you really want a bunch of novices playing with your new $5k machine? I would take a look at how it will be used... you MAY want to go with an easier solution for a work office. Yes, you sacrifice quality, but, if the machine won't be maintained correctly or used properly, it's a waste of your $$.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 6:14pm

I suspect the principle issue with the Pompeii is the boss will have to give the budget for 2. One for office and one for home :)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
leroygibbs

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 1:08am

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the inputs....

So, the thinking with the need for 2 groups is exactly the wait. While it's not high volume, people tend to drink coffee at the same time, and that could be an issue, especially when we have visitors and a set schedule. This becomes 10-20 drinks in 15 minutes, hence my concern. On a positive note, we do enlist a part time person, so they'd make coffee or run drinks them when we have visitors. Dquring regular days, then each person makes their own... I don't mind people using it, heck, it can be fixed, and if they screw things up too bad, then they can pay to fix it...

With regards to the lever, I didn't think Pompeii was in the budget, but I haven't come across a 2 group for sale. I do miss the old La Marzocco of my youth, though. Good thought, though.

Super-auto? Never. Now I'm being selfish, but I don't want to drink that....

In terms of maintenance, that is mine. I actually enjoy it, and grew up in a coffee bar, albeit 100 years ago...I thought of a commercial service, but we're kind of in the boonies, and the closest company is in the "big city", making this unviable.

Thanks again!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Office machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.417781114578)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+