Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PeanutButterBoy
PeanutButterBoy
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 6:28am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

At work now with the other EC155. So this other machine with the PF/filter from the "faulty" machine yields plenty of crema (see attached).

So the fault lies somewhere with my home EC155. It's not the PF or the filters.

As a recap, the steps I've taken so far:

- Cleaned the filters and PF (vinegar soak + wash), but these are definitely not the issue.
- Cleaned the shower screen and gasket (vinegar soak + wash) and checked for blockages behind it.
- Ran a full tank of vinegar through the EC155 followed by 2 tanks of filtered water. This was done 2 months back and the machine still produced crema afterward.
- It's not the coffee - I opened a fresh can at home of the type I always use and neither the old batch or the new batch yielded crema.
- Checked the stream coming from the shower screen - the flow is the same as it used to be, no less, no more.
- Frother still works great.

As of now, I have an $80 machine that makes great frothed milk!

PeanutButterBoy: other-machine-same-PF.jpg
(Click for larger image)

The Peanut Butter Boy
http://peanutbutterboy.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 6:52am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

You may wan't to do a complete boiler tear down if your still having brewing issues.  It's not hard. :) 4 bolts and 2 brass fittings.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
PeanutButterBoy
PeanutButterBoy

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 7:40am

Hah yea, I hope it's easier than it sounds. "Complete boiler teardown" sounds quite intimidating =)

Are there any instructions I can follow? Or just look at the diagram and follow along? EC 155 Diagram

The Peanut Butter Boy
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:35am

I can't see where temperature was confirmed as normal?  You can use the styrofoam cup method, but I think that you would notice if not up to temperature.

As well as the parts diagram, this teardown of the Starbucks Barista may help.  The boilers seem very similar, as well as the valve in the bottom.  Looks like you might remove the valve without taking the machine apart and make sure that it is clean and working normally.

Click Here (www.ifixit.com)

If you tear it down, lots of marking wires with tape and digital photos to help reassemble.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
PeanutButterBoy
PeanutButterBoy

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 6:25am

What should the temperature be? I have a digital thermometer so I can test it easily. And where should I be measuring the temperature? The espresso? The water reservoir? The boiler?

The Peanut Butter Boy
D4F

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 9:47am

Look at this article

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToTempCheck.html

Use an instant digital thermometer instead, and preheat the cup and thermomoter to about 200F+.  Keep a cup of boiling water handy.  Even an "instant" takes a second or two and then you see a temperature and then can watch it fall.  You loose heat rapidly.  It is only an approximation, to help you get around 180 - 200 in the cup.  After that it is about taste.  You can learn to temperature surf somewhat by learning to raise the brew water temperture this way, but still, taste.  Repeat the test a few times, allowing the machine to restabilize bewteen, and see if you can get some consistency.  Warm up at minimum 15 minutes prior, and you may need 5 minutes between tests/pulls.

D4F also at
PeanutButterBoy
PeanutButterBoy

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 9:15am

Thanks. So when you say "cup" you're referring to the styrofoam cup, not the espresso cup, right? So the water by itself should be 180-200 coming out of the machine.

The Peanut Butter Boy
D4F

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 2:37pm

Yes, I heat the styrofoam cup though it has little thermal mass.  Once you see how faast the temperature drops off, you realize that you need to do all that you can to get an "accurate approximation." Without preheating, especially the thermometer, you get low readings, up to 20F low.

I preheat espresso cups as well, but no espresso cups in the test.

D4F also at
joe_puller

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: delonghi ec155
Grinder: la cimbali max junior hybrid
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 1:54pm

Hey evraboday!  i've been reading this article faithfully and I will be posting my routine soon!

I'm still dialing in my grinder settings, but so far awesome flavor and results!

Much Thanks to all that contribute to this great article!
PeanutButterBoy
PeanutButterBoy

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 6:13am

So I've got an update to the "no crema" problem. I haven't measured the temperature via the stryofoam cup method - I've been busy at work and starting my own business on the side (unfortunately it's not a styrofoam cup business) - but I have noticed that the past few times I've tried to pull a shot, something else has been way off:

The flow is terribly slow.

I know someone asked before about this and at the time the flow seemed fine, but now the flow is incredibly slow. It takes at least 30-40 seconds to get a full shot and still no crema. I thought maybe this would be more of a telltale sign than anything else?

If not, I'll go buy a coffee at the store today to get a styrofoam cup.

Thanks

The Peanut Butter Boy
showing page 13 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.331441164017)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+