Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 123 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 9:40am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

slybarman Said:

Jim:
IIRC,  you were going to check with La Nuova about the ability to add the flow restrictor to earlier models.  Were you able to learn anything?

Also,  had there been any conversation with them about a solid state relay?

Posted September 25, 2013 link

And, I did not forget this request. Flow restrictor should be on next order to arrive in December. As for the solid state relay, they are investigating a new relay, but they do not know which type nor the time line of this improvement.

The next batch of machines will have an improvement or two, but they are not saying. Thus, the price increase from them.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 10:04am

Thank you Jim.
 View Profile Link to this post
progrocker85
progrocker85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky w/ Doser
Posted Fri Nov 8, 2013, 7:11am

Hey experienced Cuadra owners,
Just experienced a similar problem to a previous poster, but with no clear answer.  Recently descaled my machine and recharged the water softener, and for a week now have been experiencing a problem where the machine heats properly but the pump stalls when pulling a shot.  It will operate as normal when just pulling water through the group head, but as soon as it meets any resistance (i.e. espresso grinds) the pump all but stops.  It then cycles through barely kicking on and off as the lever remains pulled.  The espresso barely comes out.  
I have tried a courser grind to reduce resistance, but this is a new problem for me and this machine.  The latest trial was removing the water softener completely, but to no avail; same problem.  It shouldn't stall out when meeting minimal resistance, and never has before.  Any ideas on what to try or what may need replaced?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
beanfranklin

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 10:07am

1stline Said:

An espresso machine's gicleurs or restrictors can get get clogged from water evaporating inside in as little as 2 weeks - mostly depends upon the hardness of the water. Therefore it is best to descale before this inactivity and refill with soft water only. Do NOT leave descaling solution inside as it can start to eat the metal (ie copper) or gaskets on some machines. After descaling but before the period of inactivity for the Cuadra, remove the hoses from the reservoir (remains full), run the grouphead dry of water by running the pump for about 20 seconds. Leave lever up. Cool machine down and leave steam and hot water valves in full open to allow boiler water to evaporate. Empty reservoir. Allow water softener to air dry after removal - do not leave it in the reservoir as the remaining water may allow mold to build up.

If the machine is going to be transported or shipped, you can do the same above, EXCEPT before the machine cools down to leave the valves open, you would leave the machine to full heat, then power the machine off, and empty the boiler through the hot water valve only (steam valve stays closed). Not all the water will come out. Allow machine to cool and open steam valve. It is better to keep the valves open and lever up especially in cold weather to avoid any remaining water to freeze and cause damage. It is less important in warmer climates.

Posted October 12, 2013 link

I just read this; hadn't visited the thread in a while. This is hugely helpful. Thanks.
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 4:11am

Replace the pump. It's too weak to brew coffee.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 2:16pm

Did a descale today and now the vacuum breaker valve seems to be leaking steam. Maybe a bit of scale got lodged in there keeping it from closing. I am hoping it will fix itself as it had once before. If not, it maybe time for a new valve.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 4:18pm

Decided to take the machine down to the workbench for a peak.

The first thing I see is that the little 90 rubber cap fitting that holds the hose onto the nipple is completely melted/rotted.

I took the breaker valve off the manifold. Had just a small bit of scale on the threads, but otherwise looks pretty darn clean in there.

Does the little brass piece inside with the orafice (kind of a round piece sitting on top of a square) unthread from the rest of the valve? The only parts I have are the spring and the nipple. The spring sits on top of the little orafice piece. Am I missing anything else?

slybarman: 2014-01-01 18.29.58.jpg
(Click for larger image)
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 4:19pm

Another pic.

slybarman: 2014-01-01 18.54.30.jpg
(Click for larger image)
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 4:19pm

Another.

slybarman: 2014-01-01 19.11.32.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 5:04pm

The valve you have open in the picture is the safety relief.  If that circle on a square piece isn't falling out, it is only because it has become stuck there in time.  If you wiggle a screw dirver in beside it, it will fall out.  Normally the spring is what's holding it in.

If it is stuck closed, even with the spring out, I have to doubt that it was the side that was leaking. You might want to just put it back together and check the narrower side of that valve. That narrower side is the breather (Vacuum breaker) valve.
NOTE: Be careful opening that breathervalve side.  The little spring is nearly invisible once it gets away. Unscrew the valve slowly over a tea-towel with the fingertips doing the unscrewing also blocking the spring inside from escaping.

Once you have that melted elbow replaced, you might want to check for the leak with the boiler hot.  By pinching the hoses, you can listen for a change to hear which side is leaking.
showing page 123 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.485894918442)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+