Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Tell me about PODs on the CC1
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tell me about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 12:33pm
Subject: Re: Tell me about PODs on the CC1

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Yes, but you're now looking at getting rid of it and moving to a semi-automatic . . . or was all this just hypothetical?

Posted October 8, 2012 link

Ahh... I have spilt my guts about this coffee thing in several threads, even changed my mind in between thread, so I can understand how it is difficult to follow my train of thought.... but here is the short version.

I used to make espresso more than 10years ago with a cheapo espresso machine and a cheapo grinder and my foggy memory remembers that the coffee was darn good... I always made mocha's or flavored lattes.

Decided last November to get back in the espresso game and bought a super auto because I thought it would be convenient and less messy. With the help of people in this forum, the factory support and a lot of coffee poured down the drain, I finally am producing a product from the super auto that I can drink, but lacks that refinement that I think I can get if I just go back to a semi.

Now I am looking at all of the brands and I am going to buy one, but the more I look, the more confused I get. The only thing I am sure of at this point is that I am going to buy a Vario-W for the grinder. My original budget for machine and grinder was 1500, but  have been both above and below that.  Right now I am giving the CC1 a good look.
 View Profile Link to this post
Gig103

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 12:50pm

I'm pretty sure that Crossland reused existing available parts to keep costs down - I don't fault them although it is a little weird. If you like pods, then you can save a boatload and buy a Saeco Aroma.
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 1:03pm

But why would you buyer a Vario (or any grinder) if you want to use PODS? Or were you just asking about them? There are adaptors you can get so you can use PODS on some espresso machines, think some of the cheap machines enable it out of the box. But don't see the point, pods aren't cheap and instead of one bag of stale pre-ground coffee, your getting a bunch of little cups of stale coffee. Some are "passible" but majority aren't unless you just didn't know better. Mother has one of those big Keurig POD machines, she doesn't want to learn/deal with tamping, grinding etc, though when she's over my place she's extremely jealous how much better my coffee is lol, think the other day she had me make her 3 doubles and then an ice latte.

But using a POD on these machines is kinda backwards.... like buying a Porsche and never getting on it, putzing slow, never taken to the track etc... defeats the purpose.

I think once you buy a semi-auto, good grinder, and good beans and learn tamping, dosing etc... you'll actually enjoy coffee now (since before you've said you didn't, but then again you haven't had well made coffee). And if you want to make your other drinks, like lattes, flavoring whatever, it will be way better than before still b/c your actually making the drink with a "base" of good coffee.

Sure you won't have the convenience of the superauto, but it's like wanting a burger... would you prefer to cook up some blahh frozen patties, or make patties from fresh ground meat and seasonings.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 1:30pm

CMIN Said:

But why would you buyer a Vario (or any grinder) if you want to use PODS? Or were you just asking about them?

I was just asking about them. Just thought it was be nice to know if the CC1 could really use them since there was a programmable menu item called "PODS". My plan is to use freshly ground coffee but would also be nice to know if it would take pods if I wanted to try them.
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 1:43pm

Pry have to buy one of the adaptors, but you could always ask Bill at Crossland. I just have each cup (1/2/pod) set to different parameters on mine.

Edit- ahh excuse mispellings, on my phone, have to keep going back and editing.
Perked
Perked
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 2:25pm

ouch. lots of hate for the convenient solutions.

My wife is hooked to kcups and I think the convenience of pods would suit her as well.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of kcups. They don't have any kick to them, though they do taste good to me, compared to the store bought ground coffee. I prefer hand ground myself.... but it's the wife, and she's the boss :D
sn_85

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 9:08am

Why don't you just get both machines then?  Keep the Jura for days when you're in a rush and need to run out the house and for the day where you are 5 - 10 minutes early use the CC1.  Simple, problem solved.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 9:51am

Perked Said:

ouch. lots of hate for the convenient solutions.

Yes, well, this is CoffeeGeek, after all; not "Convenience Geek" . . . ;^)

99 percent of us would rather get up 5-10 minutes earlier and make a great espresso/cappuccino/latte than to push a button and run out the door . . . Sorry.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Gig103

Drip: French press!
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:19am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

99 percent of us would rather get up 5-10 minutes earlier and make a great espresso/cappuccino/latte than to push a button and run out the door . . . Sorry.

Posted October 9, 2012 link

I like to think I am that way, but I never do in practice. Thus, I drink a straight shot while I let the dog out in the morning, no milk, sugar, etc. When it's sour because I did something wrong/sloppy/etc., I drink it anyway and leave the house. My bad days are probably super-auto quality. But the good days are a delight :)
Perked
Perked

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:19am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Posted October 9, 2012 link

I agree, and not faulting anyone here at all :)

I am rather impressed with the level of expertise and thoroughness (for lack of a better word) that is shown on this forum - people here go way beyond the average joe (pun intended) too make sure your coffee or espresso is exceptional. This, I can definitely admire.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tell me about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.46542096138)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+