Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 14 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
lozinsky

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 5:27pm
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

Mine appears to have the version with the blue wire and crimped collar
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AnthonyM
AnthonyM

Espresso: Rocket R58, Rancillio Silvia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 7:26am

lozinsky Said:

Mine appears to have the version with the blue wire and crimped collar

Posted August 21, 2012 link

Please let us know if you're able to acquire an updated probe from either your retailer or Rocket directly.   I'd also be interested if they offer user firmware updates.  Thanks.

Anthony M
 View Profile Link to this post
AnthonyM
AnthonyM

Espresso: Rocket R58, Rancillio Silvia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 7:33am

What brew boiler temperatures has everyone been getting good results with, and with what beans?

Anthony M
lozinsky

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 10:51am

Will do - I have already emailed Andrew Meo about it, I have emailed him in the past with other questions and he usually responds fairly quickly.  If I don't hear back from him I will likely follow up with my local dealer and see what is going on and if they could bring me one in.  I am still not convinced that my machine is doing anything wrong, the steam pressure is fine as is - I guess I am just wondering if it could be better based on the comments in this thread.  I have the four pack of tips made by rocket and really only notice the steam pressure drop below 1 bar when i am using the four holed tip (which is what i would like to use all the time).  When i use the smaller two hole tip (my machine actually came with this additional tip so now i have two of them) the pressure never drops below one bar and i have no problem getting great micro foam in short order.

I currently have my boiler set to 106C which gives me 198-200f at the brew head (I believe).  For the beans I am using right now (Epic Espresso from 49th Parallel) I get consistently great shots with no screwing around.
Bgosselin

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 11:24am

The store give me a 4 holes steam tips but holes are just too big to make microfoam.  Rocket gave me two tips both with two holes. The tip that was in the box said 1.0mm holes.  I use that one right now.  I did purchased another 4 holes steam tips with smaller 0.9mm holes from CC.  Didn't receive it just yet.  I use a similar tip on my mini Vivaldi and just love it.

I increase the service boiler temp so i get between 1.3 and 1.5 bar of pressure.  Since then my pressure doesn't drop below 1bar while steeming.  Made a big difference.  I haven't check what sensor i have but my feeling is that I got the less sensitive one.  I may ask for a chang if it betters the machine.
lozinsky

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 5:57am

Alright Andrew said he would mail me the fast reaction probe, just needs my address and serial number.  As i mentioned before the steam power as is with what must only be the slow reaction probe is fine, so i can't wait to see how much better it is with the fast reaction probe, and if it will be able to better handle the four hole tip.

Anyone know where the serial number is on the machine?
itsmesteven

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Vario mkII
Vac Pot: Hario syphon
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 6:22am

You should have a document that looks like this. I believe its the serial no.

itsmesteven: IMG_0041.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lozinsky

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 9:19am

That was my thought too, I snapped a photo of that document and emailed it to Rocket this morning so that should be it.
Veets

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:06am

I have noticed that my R58 PID will show the brew temp dropping from the set point of 106 degrees to 98 or 96. This happens after the second or third shot has been pulled. For kicks, I have let the machine warm up for 10 minutes and checked, 20 minutes, 30 etc always with the same result. Im getting nice shots but Im curious what the reading is showing. Could it simply be cold water entering the brew boiler? If so is it a sound assumption that the head and the delivered water temp is stable?
Also, anyone have any info on firmware and whether it will upgradable ? Early machines with the 5.00 version could benefit from later versions.
Has anyone identified the source of that rattle noise that occurs when you turn on the machine ? It seem loudest and moist annoying when the machine is cool.
Thanks
itsmesteven

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Vario mkII
Vac Pot: Hario syphon
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:59am

Andrew from Rocket told me that the rattle noise might be air inside the boiler but he was not 100% sure. Im still waiting for a answer from him.
Last week I was out of town for three days. When I got home and turned on the machine it was no rattle noise but it came back after 2 days.
showing page 14 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.449412107468)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+