Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:37pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 Modification Guide & Ideas

*Edited*

Nevermind guys.  Got it figured out.  Had two of the wires plugged in the wrong posts.  All is well.
 View Profile Link to this post
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Forte, Lelit PL53, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 3:39am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 Modification Guide & Ideas

MDiddy Said:

All is well.

Posted October 3, 2012 link

Yay!

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 10:29am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 Modification Guide & Ideas (& ECC152CD)

D4F Said:

Could you drill and thread a small hole in the PF and use a screw to just pressure a drag fit on the basket?

Posted October 3, 2012 link

Great recommendation!  I was able to drill a 3/16 hole and thread it out using a small, stainless screw.   When I tighten it down now and remove the PF, the basket comes with and no longer sticks to the grouphead.  Many thanks!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 10:40am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 Modification Guide & Ideas (& ECC152CD)

Easy enough, glad it worked.  

You could perhaps get by with a nylon screw and not scratch up the basket.  The temperature if fairly high, but not sure if the PF temperature is too hot for nylon.  Probably would soften a little if you left the basket in for long times, but hardens again as it cools.  Nice thing about nylon is that you can thread it in all the way and then sand down the non-head end to make the drag fit.  The other possibility with nylon is to insert it head inside and sand (Dremel sanding drum) it for a drag fit across the whole head.  More area and less point pressure. Onfe fit, you can fllush the outside of the screw to the PF.  It would probably tighten the fit warm and release with cooling, which could be helpful.  Or, stick with what you have :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
MJW

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 11:16pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

Nice to see this thread still going.  Just dropped in to say I've been getting nice shots consistently now using the 607706 basket with an EC270.  My grinder is a Mazzer Mini.

I get consistent deep chocolatey shots using approximately an 11 gram dose.  I use a pretty fine grind and it takes a good 10 seconds after pump on, before liquid starts emerging from the filter.  I watch the pour to determine when to stop but often I let it go for 35-40 seconds total (that includes the initial 10 s).

With the right amount of milk (4-6 oz?) the drink tastes like intense liquid chocolate.  With less milk it starts tasting like coffee again!  Really hits the spot.

I was briefly using 16 gram doses and got similar tasty shots; but I've done most of my brewing with these smaller doses.
soad_x83

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 3:48am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

I was just about to ask about what people were dosing with the 607706 basket and what people have had luck with. It takes about of 21g (hasbean jailbreak) for me to fill the 607706 - do I need to fill the basket to the top for best results? Will my shots taste better filling the basket instead of measuring by some specific weight? What are the potential problems with underdosing the basket? (I seem to find conflicting and sometimes incoherent information on this). What is your preferred dosage for the basket?
FWIW I seem to get more consistent results with 16g than I do with 18g, but my 18g shots when they come out right, taste much nicer! I nearly always seem to get some minor channelling for the first few seconds of the shot (I tried WDT a couple of times withou mucht luck :S it's supposed to be foolproof! haha). My problem is probably inconsistent/bad technique.

FYI I have a Porlex hand grinder - it makes pretty decent espresso from what I can tell, but it doesn't have many settings - I've seen a mod on coffeegeek to make it stepless but I make Aeropress too and don't want to loose the '10 clicks to aeropress' approach.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Forte, Lelit PL53, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 9:28am

soad_x83 Said:

...do I need to fill the basket to the top for best results?

Posted October 7, 2012 link

No, but see below...

soad_x83 Said:

Will my shots taste better filling the basket instead of measuring by some specific weight?

That's a tricky question. You may run into the issues underdosing causes or--less likely for you--overdosing (where you end up pushing coffee off the basket, defeating the purpose of weighing it...). On the other hand, weighing your grounds will give you more consistent results (compared to not weighing), which in turn makes it easier to improve technique, making your shots taste better. In general, I'm an advocate of weighing coffee. Also, grinding into a vessel on a scale won't get you messed up by the grinder keeping some of your coffee.

soad_x83 Said:

What are the potential problems with underdosing the basket?

Depending on your dosing technique, the main issue underdosing creates is channeling, usually around the sides of the puck. Fully dosing and distributing the grounds will fill up all the gaps more or less evenly, but you can't really do this if the basket is too tall. If you find that you prefer underdosing but run into channeling problems, you might want to give WDT another try.

soad_x83 Said:

What is your preferred dosage for the basket?

I shoot for 19g for  ~1.7 oz yield, but I like my shots a tidbit on the ristretto side. That's more subjective, however.

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
soad_x83

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 12:32am

Thanks for the info Nickfrogger! MJW do you not have any channelling issues with dosing 11g into the basket? I tried 11g last night - my kitchen got most of it, not much went in the glass!

When I am pouring the grind from the grinder to the basket I shake the basket(& portafilter) from side to side to level things out, I also give the basket a bit of a bash to try and break up any clumps - this is pre-tamp so I assume I am not breaking any 'seal' but am I wrong?

My tamper is 50mm which is a little too small for the basket, the tamper is convex. When I tamp, I first lightly tamp in the centre, then I tamp lightly on top, bottom, left, right, then I tamp with ~30lbs pressure in the centre.

I find it hard to do analysis of the puck, the top the puck is a little concave with with a few pin-sized holes, I would say there is not much evidence of side-channelling but the underneath of the puck is mostly the same colour but has a dark ring around the outside. Is that abnormal?

I realise I should be asking these questions in a more appropriate thread...
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 5:32am

Has anyone had luck with grind and dose with an unpressurized single basket (Delonghi bar basket) not the single that came with the machine?  Not a huge deal. Worst case I will use a pressurized basket.  7 Grams even at a finder grind seems to just break the puck and under extract leaving a mess and a watery shot.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
soad_x83

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 10:33am

(I have the 606348 basket which holds about 10g as far as I can tell (Click Here (www.amazon.com)) - I've not had much luck with it, but nearly every espresso I've ever pulled is with the 607706 and I'm a total noob so nothing I say can be taken seriously! I think Nickfrogger says he bought it on the first page, maybe he has some thoughts on it.

I also found this http://www.kennethballard.com/?p=463 which says with minor mods we may have some luck with la pavoni millenium double basket - and from what I see la pavoni do an equivalant single basket too so maybe that would work? What are peoples experiences with the la pavoni baskets over the delonghi ones? I might buy one for the sake of it.
showing page 8 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426577091217)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+