Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Really confused now....and other stuff
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Really confused...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Burd
Burd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID'd
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew...
Roaster: Behmor + i-Roast
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 7:57pm
Subject: Re: Really confused now....and other stuff

DeanOK Said:

... not sure anyone else would like it though. I have already determined that I don't like the darker roasts... so that probably automatically gets me thrown out of the espresso connoisseurs club.

Posted September 29, 2012 link

There may be a "trend" of what most people drink but you should live by the most important guide......if YOU like the taste who gives 2 cents if someone else doesn't :) , besides you have to drink it in the end.  I take all of this in and what works for me may not for someone else.

As for equipment, this is the right place to find the answers out.  I know everyone was extremely helpful when I asked a question.  It sounds like you are getting an idea of where you want to be.  Good deal!
 View Profile Link to this post
kpmd

Espresso: breville 900
Grinder: baratza vario w
Drip: capresso team therm
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 8:53pm

I have the vario w and the breville 900. Could not be happier.  No regrets.  Get yourself both and then get some 17 foot ceiling espresso from blue bottle and you'll be wondering why you waited so long!
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 9:06pm

DeanOK Said:

I have already determined that I don't like the darker roasts... so that probably automatically gets me thrown out of the espresso connoisseurs club.

Actually the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction recently. Many people complain that the espresso they get in "third wave" cafes is roasted too light and tastes too sour.

Light roasts take more fiddling and a little more skill to extract properly. But it's all a matter of taste, of course.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 3:54am

sn_85 Said:

You won't be able to find parts for it and you won't be able to do general maintenance on it either.  If you want to get it fixed you'll have to take it to a certified Breville servicer.  Likewise if you want to descale the machine in 5 years you'll have to take it to a service center as well.  

This is frustrating...every part and every part number... but no way to order. the parts.....
Click Here (www.ereplacementparts.com)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 10:17am

That is one of the reasons I did not go that direction.  Just take your time, research, save your money and you will be happier with whatever you get.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 10:49am

I plan on calling the Breville customer service number. If they tell me that I  can buy any part I want at a reasonable price and convince me they are being truthful, it will give them a big leg up on my decision. I actually like the look of some of the shinier chrome machines better, but they are all 60% to 100% more money and the Breville is loaded with some nice features.

I don't know anything about Beville, but if they are known for supporting their products with repair parts over the long haul, I would think it would make them a quite valuable brand in my mind.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 11:05am

DeanOK Said:

I don't know anything about Beville, but if they are known for supporting their products with repair parts over the long haul, I would think it would make them a quite valuable brand in my mind.

Posted September 30, 2012 link

LOL. Funny you should say that; because, no they are not.  They have a terrible reputation for building throw away machines with poor support, inability to fix them yourself (nonstandard sized parts).  Many believe that the dual boiler is breville's chance to change this image and so far, there are many who believe that they've placed their money in a solid company.  Likely the majority on this site would think this an unwise investment, but ultimately it is up to the one making the purchase to make this decision.  Your money; do what you want with it.  But thought you should know that this company has a less than attractive past.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 11:09am

diggi Said:

LOL. Funny you should say that; because, no they are not.

I really do not know if I spend a $1000.00 more that I won't end up in the same place. Doesn't seem that there is any of them that go out of their way to market their product as a good investment over the long haul.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 11:13am

DeanOK Said:

I really do not know if I spend a $1000.00 more that I won't end up in the same place. Doesn't seem that there is any of them that go out of their way to market their product as a good investment over the long haul.

Unsure what you mean by this.  There are many companies with good reputations on this site.  Their equipment will last for years with good care and occasional repairs.  Things cost less for a reason. Do what you want, but don't fool yourself into thinking that all things are equal in terms of longevity and customer support. They are not.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 11:21am

diggi Said:

Unsure what you mean by this..

I wasn't trying to imply that there wasn't any with a good reputation... I am just saying that most of what I have read does not address the issue of support after the sale... that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just say'n.

Maybe others that have direct knowledge of this issue with different brands will chime in and offer some more detail.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Really confused...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.50353717804)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+