Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 58 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 5:11pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

THANK YOU! So go another 10 seconds or so and then pull right away?  Or do I need to wait and if so, how long? Also, from what I read about the thermometer, there seems to be some confusion as to how to use it.  Do you have a good, easy system for using it and can you share?
 View Profile Link to this post
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 5:58pm

If you have not already, give this article a read:

http://www.home-barista.com/hx-love.html

I do the flush-n-go. Flush-n-wait is supposed to give a bit better temp stability during the shot, but it requires a longer flush. This machine already needs a pretty long flush, so . . .

The difference between the two methods is whether you are catching the brewhead temp on the way down or on the way back up.

Eric's temp reads 5 degrees higher than the temp at the puck (verified by Eric on my machine). I flush to 203 or so, lock the PF, wait maybe 10 seconds to allow the temp to stabilize slightly and then pull the shot. That generally gets me 205 on the thermometer, which is 200 at the puck.
cruizie

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 9:56am

Slybarman, thank you so much for the help. From your explanation, the thermometer doesn't sound too difficult to use and I'll be ordering one today.  In the meantime, I followed your steps and definitely saw improvement. However, I've now gone from very sour to a little bitter. I flushed for approx 7 secs past end of dance, locked in and waited 10 secs before pulling shot. I am preheating portafilter by keeping loosely locked into grouphead as you suggested. What should I adjust in my process to lose the bitterness?

Also, I'll post on a grinder forum but wanted to ask for assistance here also. Can I get some input as to what grinders everyone on here is using with their Cuadras? I don't think my grinder, Bodum Bistro is grinding quite fine enough. From what I've read, the more I spend, the better. Of course and unfortunately, that's usually the case. I'm having a difficult time because I'll decide on one and then I see that if I spend just $25 or $50 more . . . and you know how that goes! Can anyone give me suggestions for spending as little as possibe to get a decent grinder?  Or point me in the direction of a good comparison website? Or . . .  maybe someone has upgraded from a good grinder to the best and wants to unload their old one.   :-)

Thanks again for your help!
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 4:25pm

With regard to sour/bitter, I will point you to another article because others have already said it all way better than I ever could:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

That article covers dose and grind. Temp is yet another variable that will affect the flavor as well of course. I usually start with the roaster's brew parameters and then tweak from there (or not).

So far as grinders, I profess no real knowledge. I have the Baratza Vario. It is the first grinder I have owned and I like it, but I have nothing else to compare it to.

Steve
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 5:28pm

My Bodum Bistro doesn't grind fine enough for my Gaggia Classic, which should be comparable in terms of pressure in the group and in the portafilter design.  There is a mod out there that will get it a bit finer, but even with that it's hard to adjust (mine has very coarse steps, and I only use it for drip/aeropress at work) even once you have done it.

Best bet for budget high-end espresso grinding is to look for a refurb Baratza Preciso on Thursday mornings on the Baratza website (although there's one there as I look now - $240), or to hunt around the BST forum here or Craigslist for a secondhand espresso specific grinder.  You might also consider one of a few hand grinders for less outlay, but I haven't tried any of those for espresso, so I won't recommend one.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 4:17am

cruizie Said:

Slybarman, thank you so much for the help. From your explanation, the thermometer doesn't sound too difficult to use and I'll be ordering one today.  In the meantime, I followed your steps and definitely saw improvement. However, I've now gone from very sour to a little bitter. I flushed for approx 7 secs past end of dance, locked in and waited 10 secs before pulling shot. I am preheating portafilter by keeping loosely locked into grouphead as you suggested. What should I adjust in my process to lose the bitterness?

Posted October 3, 2012 link

I was reminded again this morning of why the thermometer really is a necessity in my view. I filled the water reservoir with nice cool clean water before I started making my coffee this morning. With nice cold water in the tank, the flush goes much faster than it would using water that was heated overnight in the reservoir. If you were just counting the seconds, there is no way you could account for this and your shot would be too cool. Using the thermometer, you are still able to stop at the desired temp and get your shot where you want it.

I am enjoying a nice cup of double dog this morning. :)
cruizie

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 7:17pm

Ordered mine and it should arrive by mid week. Looking forward to getting one of my variables under control! Still looking at grinders . . .
mnz

Grinder: Nemox Lux
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 6:51am

slybarman Said:

I was reminded again this morning of why the thermometer really is a necessity in my view. I filled the water reservoir with nice cool clean water before I started making my coffee this morning. With nice cold water in the tank, the flush goes much faster than it would using water that was heated overnight in the reservoir. If you were just counting the seconds, there is no way you could account for this and your shot would be too cool. Using the thermometer, you are still able to stop at the desired temp and get your shot where you want it.

I am enjoying a nice cup of double dog this morning. :)

Posted October 6, 2012 link

Isn't the reference point for the cooling flush the moment when the water and steam calms down (when the "water dance" stops, if you use an open portafilter)? Shouldn't that be a good enough indication of when the temperature is right? I let my cooling flush run until things calm down, and then another 5 seconds. That seems to do the trick for me.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 7:01am

Maybe. The boiling point temp is always the same (the reference point as you stated). My point though was that the final temperature 5 seconds later will change depending on the temp of the water in the reservoir. When using the thermometer you can see this in action as the temp drops more sharply with fresh cold water in the reservoir.

John - what dose and temp are you using for the double dog? I tried a cooler shot today and did not care for the change in flavor. So far, 202 seems to be about the best temp for the flavor I like. I also tried dropping the dose from 18 to 17 and 17.5 grams. I did not like that as much either.
mnz

Grinder: Nemox Lux
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 8:06am

slybarman Said:

Maybe. The boiling point temp is always the same (the reference point as you stated). My point though was that the final temperature 5 seconds later will change depending on the temp of the water in the reservoir. When using the thermometer you can see this in action as the temp drops more sharply with fresh cold water in the reservoir.

Posted October 7, 2012 link

Aha, now I get it. Since the water being pumped into the boiler during the cooling flush is colder, the temperature during the flush will drop faster. Makes sense.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 58 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.423726081848)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+