Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La San Marco 85 flexa E single group automatic new NOT MAKING A GOOD ESPRESSO
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La San Marco 85...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
goleburn

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 12:54pm
Subject: La San Marco 85 flexa E single group automatic new NOT MAKING A GOOD ESPRESSO

Hello!
I have a La San Marco 85 Flexa E, single group, automatic, brand new.

It's making an overly creamy, watery espresso. the cream is too light colored. Using the exact same grind, compression, and coffee with

La San Marco 85 Sprint S - 2 Group, i get a good espresso.  By good I mean at around 4-5 seconds you get a nice, thin, dark rat's tail and when i shut off at 23-26 seconds there is a nice golden cream, and a great tasting espresso.

when i spoke to the techncians where they sold me the machine, they say that that is the characteric of the machine, that it makes a creamy espresso. YUK.  they don't know how to adjust the machine to produce a good espresso.

can anybody out there help me?

thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Bgosselin

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 6:00pm
Subject: La San Marco 85 flexa E single group automatic new NOT MAKING A GOOD ESPRESSO

Try a different grind size. How to you mesure the pump pressure? Gages can be inacurate.

Just ignore your other machine and do what need to be done on the new machine to get the best shot.

Grind size.  Coffee weight etc..
goleburn

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 6:27pm
Subject: Re: La San Marco 85 flexa E single group auto new NOT MAKING GOOD ESPRESSO

Thanks for your reply Bgosselin.  That's what I tried...different grind sizes, compression, etc.  When I went to a finer grind or increased tamp pressure, i still got a creamy espresso, but at around 8 or 9 seconds. and it was bitter.  from what i'm reading i might need to adjust the pressure. i wrote San Marco and i'm waiting for a reply.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 7:08pm
Subject: Re: La San Marco 85 flexa E single group automatic new NOT MAKING A GOOD..

I had similar issues with a low end automatic. I realize your machine is not low end, but everything I thought I knew about making espresso was wrong for my automatic. I had to use a much courser ground and that actually caused my time to increase greatly. I know that doesn't make any sense, but there is so much I don't know such as how the courser ground effected delivery and such. Keep an open mind and be willing to try something that doesn't make much sense when compared to a conventional machine.
Bgosselin

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 6:58pm
Subject: Re: La San Marco 85 flexa E single group automatic new NOT MAKING A GOOD..

I checked the manual and they talk about a "palm unit" for making adjustments.  Can you adjust boiler temp for exemple?  Is the palm unit a separate item?  Have you try the pre-infusion?

At first it was difficult for me to adjust my mini vivaldi.  Instead of filing the basket i start weighting it.  Was able to adjust better that way.  I'm sold to weighting coffee doses instead of volume dosing now.

Let us know if you find a solution.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 6:26am

DeanOK Said:

I had similar issues with a low end automatic.

Posted October 3, 2012 link

Just to be clear, Dean, are you speaking of your Jura when you you say "automatic"?  Because the Jura is NOT an automatic -- it is a super-automatic, and there is a HUGE difference.

An automatic -- more often called a "full automatic" or a machine that features "volumetrically dosing" -- is something completely different.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 6:57am
Subject: Re: La San Marco 85 flexa E single group

Just looking at the La San Marco website and description of the machine, they tout their 'special filter design that guarantees crema no matter what', which sounds like some sort of pressurized portafilter. If a standard commercial portafilter will fit, have you tried it with something that's not some sort of gimmicked pf?
goleburn

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:05am
Subject: vender will let me replace with better (more expensive) machine

The vender is allowing me to return the machine.  The best alternative within my budget (will cost me $1300USD more) is the,

La San Marco 85 Sprint S semiautomatic  (it will cost me a total of $3870USD)

This machine is a two-group and it does make a good espresso.

Anyone own this machine? any comments on it?

here's a link to the machine on san marco's site  

Click Here (www.lasanmarco.it)

thanks!
Bgosselin

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:38am
Subject: Re: vender will let me replace with better (more expensive) machine

goleburn Said:

The vender is allowing me to return the machine.  The best alternative within my budget (will cost me $1300USD more) is the,

La San Marco 85 Sprint S semiautomatic  (it will cost me a total of $3870USD)

This machine is a two-group and it does make a good espresso.

Anyone own this machine? any comments on it?

here's a link to the machine on san marco's site  

Click Here (www.lasanmarco.it)

thanks!

Posted October 5, 2012 link

Can you get your money back and buy another brand?  Why San marco only?  2 groups that is big for home use.  Are you using it at home or it's business use?  There is other good brand.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:54am
Subject: Re: vender will let me replace with better (more expensive) machine

Complete rewrite:

For that money, you can buy a fantastic setup.
What is it about that brand  that you like?

There are many different makers of machines. What are you using for a grinder? The grinder is more important than the machine. For an espresso machine that is$2K I would advise a grinder in the 1 to 1.4K range for a quality match.

After the machine and the grinder, (grinder is more important than the machine) you need great coffee, fresh, within 2 weeks of being roasted.

The grind changes from day to day and even hour to hour so using the same grind as you had on a different machine, is not going to work, each machine requires it's own grind as no two machines and the parts of no two machines are exactly the same.

I wonder what if any preinfusion is being used in that machine, when it comes to small details, preinfusion can make a difference.

Also, the taste of the espresso is a very personal thing. You may spit out what I like for espresso then again you may curl your toes in a near orgasmic experience, as I often say, YMMV which is short for Your Millage May Vary. This is a phrase on the retail stickers of new cars when they  tell the consumer what to expect for miles per gallon, how you drive man (and most likely IS) going to give you a different number. Your dream shot may be something completely different than mine!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La San Marco 85...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.410662174225)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+