Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Looking for Advice- La Scala Butterfly or Brewtus IV?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Looking for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 4:35pm
Subject: Looking for Advice- La Scala Butterfly or Brewtus IV?

I spent a lot of time recently with a rep for La Scala selling their Butterfly semi-auto. I really liked the machine and had pretty much decided that was what I was going to end up with in the future.

Later in the night I started browsing features of machines at the same price point and realized the Expobar Brewtus IV would actually end up about $90 cheaper and seemed to have many more features i.e. Double boiler, rotary pump, etc...

Am I missing something here?

I haven't seen the Brewtus in person so I can't speak to the build quality but it seems to have quite a following.

Oppinions?
 View Profile Link to this post
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 5:30pm
Subject: Re: Looking for Advice- La Scala Butterfly or Brewtus IV?

AVG price for the butterfly is about $1k (according to the reviews here). I just bought a brewtus iv-p, the rotary pump only comes on the plumb-only model. I would say that if you're going to spend the cash, get something with a double boiler and a PID.

I'll post photos and opinions here again tomorrow when I get my machine set up.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dorkroast
dorkroast

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 6:09pm

The average price listed here seems incorrect. Nearly everyplace I've found it lists the Butterfly at about $1700.
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 6:14pm

The average price is going to be what people paid for it when they bought it, possibly several years ago, and will include specials and maybe secondhand purchases.  I'm not sure how useful an average price for reviewed machines is if the reviews are a couple of years old.
KittJ

Espresso: PID Expobar Brewtus IIIR;
Grinder: Mazzer: Mini & SJ
Drip: Why??
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 11:29am

RE "I just bought a brewtus iv-p, the rotary pump only comes on the plumb-only model. "

The phrase "plumb-only" is NOT quite correct.

The rotary pump takes more space in the case than the vibe pump ... That space is taken from where the removable plastic water reservoir sits in the vibe / pour over models.  The remaining space would only allow a dinky internal reservoir, so the rotary model comes with a 4 foot steel sheathed hose that can be hooked to a water pipe.  

However, the benefits of the rotary are very attractive (quiet, flow profile, etc.), so many of us have purchased it and dropped the end of the hose into a a gallon jug of water.  Everything else is set up to allow use without being plumbed in.  If you want to have the drip tray drain directly into the waste pipes, you have to punch out a piece of metal in the center of the tray and arrange for plumbing to accept the drainage.  Otherwise, it works just like the vibe pump models.  And while "she who must be obeyed" is quite tolerant of the stainless steel ornament on the granite counter, I have no enthusiasm for trying to sell drilling holes through the latter.

The rotary pump does not need the pressure of the water in the house water pipes ... The pump is comfortable lifting water from a jug up to five feet below the machine, which makes it easy to take the 70 lb. unit to a church or club event and serve caps to the crowd.  You just need a couple of one or five gallon water bottles.
acasabia
acasabia

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 11:42am

KittJ Said:

RE "I just bought a brewtus iv-p, the rotary pump only comes on the plumb-only model. "

The phrase "plumb-only" is NOT quite correct.

The rotary pump takes more space in the case than the vibe pump ... That space is taken from where the removable plastic water reservoir sits in the vibe / pour over models.  The remaining space would only allow a dinky internal reservoir, so the rotary model comes with a 4 foot steel sheathed hose that can be hooked to a water pipe.  

However, the benefits of the rotary are very attractive (quiet, flow profile, etc.), so many of us have purchased it and dropped the end of the hose into a a gallon jug of water.  Everything else is set up to allow use without being plumbed in.  If you want to have the drip tray drain directly into the waste pipes, you have to punch out a piece of metal in the center of the tray and arrange for plumbing to accept the drainage.  Otherwise, it works just like the vibe pump models.  And while "she who must be obeyed" is quite tolerant of the stainless steel ornament on the granite counter, I have no enthusiasm for trying to sell drilling holes through the latter.

The rotary pump does not need the pressure of the water in the house water pipes ... The pump is comfortable lifting water from a jug up to five feet below the machine, which makes it easy to take the 70 lb. unit to a church or club event and serve caps to the crowd.  You just need a couple of one or five gallon water bottles.

Posted October 4, 2012 link

I considered the iv-r model (rotary pump) but the benefits didnt seem to outweigh the additional needs of the machine... Like you said, you can drop the line into a vessel of water, but then you have to find a way of hiding this water, which in my case would still involve drilling into my countertop and running the line into an under-cabinet water supply. The rotary pump is a quieter and smoother flow of water though, it's also much more expensive to repair/replace, and more prone to damage in the face of hard water or an empty reservoir.

I decided on the iv-p model, because if I do decide later on to plumb into a 5gal tank of aquafina, I could. but having a built in reservoir makes it easier to place on the counter, and the vibe pump doesnt bother me, or most people I imagine, coming from a single boiler.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:

Cold Brewing:

acasabia
acasabia

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 10:23pm

So I unpacked and set her up today, WLL sent it in its manufacturer's box, inside a larger box filled with foam and additional cardboard for support on the walls and bottom. Nothing as damaged and all was well. They set and tested the machine prior to shipping, so some residual water did come out and fog up the manometers, but this faded with time.

Here are some first impressions...

The brewtus iv-P is huge, absolutely huge, I'm sure all of these machines are just as big (check their specs) but this one is tall. The iv-v is about an inch or two shorter though...

Strong build, everything feels very well fitted and I don't here anything moving around other than the pumps own vibration. The water tank seems smaller than it is, it came with two water softening cartridges (rechargeable) and a plumb line. The water tray sits on a sensor which will turn of the unit if the reservoir becomes empty. Mine came with a double spouted filter and a bottomless which both feel nice and weigh a good bit. The baskets included are for a single, an 18g double, and a ~21g in the bottomless. There is also a back flush disk, and I received a blank basket as well.

The tamper it came with is just awful, though I also received a steel rattleware while I wait on my c-ripple from RB.

Once filled with water, plugging in and turning it on was simple... no assembly required. The PID is very easy to use, and the color is very eye catching, even on a chrome machine. I timed the start up at 9 and a half minutes before the brew boiler was up to temp (203 at the group head) and the offset was accurate when measured using IR , the steam took a bit longer but that's expected. My first shot was a throw-away, but once I got my grinder tuned in (about a full turn finer than my Le'lit) I was getting syrupy shots that I could only rarely catch on my le'lit. The pre-infusion is simple enough to use, and pretty substantial in terms of water volume and effect on taste.

The steam arm is my only gripe, the single hole tip is very usable an by no means would prevent me from purchasing again, but the pressure drop is quick and the foam is thick. I switched out to a 4 hole tip from a rocket with much better results. I have other tips to play with, when I have the time I'll see how they do. Again the difference probably comes down to technique and wouldn't prevent my purchase, thought the 4 tip set from rocket is only ~$20.

the water arm is not a no-burn arm, though I don't see this as an issue. The drip tray is substantial, the chrome is nice. In summary I like it.

There is a sharp edge on the cup tray which is an issue when removing it to access the water tank, I fixed this by making a handle out of wire while I look for a better solution. There are holes for cup rails which may be available from somewhere...

I'm going to see how she performs in a full day tomorrow with more than a few drinks. Once I have a better feel for it Ill post a full review and some pictures.

-AC

Anthony C

Currently pulling:

Cold Brewing:

dorkroast
dorkroast

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 8:23pm

Thanks for the review.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Looking for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.394686937332)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+