Espresso: Espresso Machines
HX vs Dual Boiler advice I got today... now I have a question
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > HX vs Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 9:13am
Subject: Re: HX vs Dual Boiler advice I got today... now I have a question

germantownrob Said:

Besides are you willing to put up the argument that a HX machine makes its best shots while steaming milk at the same time?

Posted October 4, 2012 link

I wanted to wait for Ron to reply as that was directed to him.  I would not be willing to put up the argument that my Duetto any other DB makes the best shots while steaming at the same time. If i am having to make milk drinks in the "full court press" mode I am entertaining, the shots are going into milk drinks, and the difference in shot scoring a 9 and a shot scoring a 10 is not material. If i am making for going for the best i can produce I draw and I steam separately and focus which ever task is at hand.

Contrary to the marketing the principle advantage to me and the reason I went DB was temp control on at the brew head not to be able to do things at once.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 9:32am

so, yes to address the specific issue of whether the machine can do both. at once.  I have to agree that I make better drinks when I do not multitask the two.  I do try, because I would like to be able to do just as well either way (some time in the future). However, I find that not only do I like to watch the shot come out of the bottomless pf (both for aesthetic and diagnostic purposes), I have a much better idea when to stop it, if I'm not trying to froth simultaneously.  Also, I find I hold my frothing pitcher more steady with two hands, so I don't like to have to let go with one to stop the shot.  Like John, I upgraded from SBDU to DB because of thermal stability and recovery time...also, I intend to plumb in one of these days.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
zedex

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 9:46am

Endo Said:

Are you running a cafe? I've have never felt the need to steam and pull a shot at the same time at home. (And funny enough, I also own a Vivaldi).

Like texting and driving, don't take your eyes off what really matters. If you aren't watching your shot progress and cutting it off at the right time, you're probably making less than optimal espresso.

As long as the steam pressure is consistant and ready when your shot stops, that's more than enough.

Posted October 3, 2012 link

I pull a shot and steam at the same time with my vivaldi. I start to froth first with 2 hands and when my milk gets warm i plunge the wand and start my shot. The milk is done before the shot finishes so you still have plenty of time to watch the shot and cut it off if need be. Pretty good time saver.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 10:08am

I have had work going on at the house for the last 6 weeks, I have been making the guys 4 doubles at least 3 times a day, not one of those drinks will be as good as the one I focus on for myself, but hey they have not given me a tip yet. LOL. I never thought about how many times I screwed up frothing doing it one handed, no matter how hard I try to time plunging the tip when it is time to turn off the brew button but it seldom works out perfect.

A major reason I have not upgraded from my Oscar is I know it so well, it has become second nature to get the results I want from it and the Vario. I have my grind adjustments all figured out, I have my distribution and tamp figured out, I have my flushes worked out, I really do not have to give very much thought to making a great espresso with my set up and for the first time in my home espresso journey I can just enjoy drinking it. When I upgraded from a very good home roaster to a commercial roaster it took me a year of getting to know the new machine to produce consistent roasts and that was a very frustrating year. When I do upgrade Oscar it most likely be a commercial HX machine but I will wait until the limitations of Oscar out number the comfort level or it has a major break down.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 3:54pm

DeanOK Said:

Just to be clear, I can make espresso and steam milk at the same time on either a HX machine or a dual boiler machine... correct?

Posted October 3, 2012 link

Yes.  This is correct.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 8:09pm

zedex Said:

I pull a shot and steam at the same time with my vivaldi. I start to froth first with 2 hands and when my milk gets warm i plunge the wand and start my shot. The milk is done before the shot finishes so you still have plenty of time to watch the shot and cut it off if need be. Pretty good time saver.

Posted October 4, 2012 link

No time saved if you pour your milk into the pitcher while your shot is being pulled rather than before hand. Besides, you need a bit of time for the shot to settle and the crema to shrink if you want to do any good latte art.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 9:26am

Endo,

In order to not hijack this thread, I started a new one regarding your comment about crema shrinkage needed to pour good art.  I'm hoping you can elaborate there.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > HX vs Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.460432052612)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+