Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
HX vs Dual Boiler advice I got today... now I have a question
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > HX vs Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 4:22pm
Subject: HX vs Dual Boiler advice I got today... now I have a question

I really think I got some bad advice from one of the major retailers today, but just to be sure I am going to ask here in the forum.

I was told (by a salesperson at a major espresso machine retailer that you all would recognize) that I could not steam milk and make espresso at the same time on a HX machine. Now I have never owned a high quality espresso machine, but I think I can read and that is not what I thought I understood from reading in this forum and other places. Since I mostly drink lattes, I had made up my mind that I was going to buy a machine that wold do both when I laid down the cash.

Just to be clear, I can make espresso and steam milk at the same time on either a HX machine or a dual boiler machine... correct?
 View Profile Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 4:29pm
Subject: Re: HX vs Dual Boiler advice I got today... now I have a question

DeanOK Said:

Just to be clear, I can make espresso and steam milk at the same time on either a HX machine or a dual boiler machine... correct?

Posted October 3, 2012 link

This is correct.  What I have heard is that when steaming and pulling a shot at the same time on smaller boilers, the in the HX line would be lower.  From what I've heard (a member who used scace to measure this) and in my own experience, this temp offset is negligable.  There's a lot of mass in the group, and the water inside the boiler (even on smaller boiler hx machines), that simply steaming isn't going to do much to the overall mass that controls the temp of the brewing line.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 4:35pm

DeanOK Said:

I really think I got some bad advice from one of the major retailer today, but just to be sure I am going to ask here in the forum.
I was told (by a salesperson at a major espresso machine retailer that you all would recognize) that I could not steam milk and make espresso at the same time on a HX machine.

Nonsense. Of course you can. I imagine that there may be a few machines that are challenged to do this. It depends on the machine and it's thermal efficiency, recovery rates, and a bunch of other scientific stuff this art major probably doesn't know, but I use to do it all the time with my Vibiemme Domobar Super.

Time to find either:
A - a different machine
B - a different salesperson
C - a different reseller

Part 2 - Explain why. Full sentence answers. Spelling counts.

I understand the hesitancy to name the reseller, but what was the machine in question?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 4:44pm

It's true of some machines.

You can't do it on mine. Brew switch disables steam, and vice-versa.

Fortunately, I don't find it a problem.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 4:46pm

Yes I can pull shots and steam at the same time.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 4:57pm

frcn Said:

I understand the hesitancy to name the reseller, but what was the machine in question?

We were on the phone. Actually, we were not talking about a  particular machine. I just told the sales person that I wanted either a HX machine or a dual boiler machine because I wanted to be able to steam milk while making espresso or soon after. I had already made up my mind that the machine I would buy would probably be between $1100.00 and $1800.00 so not much of a salesperson. I didn't provide the salesperson with a budget though. I only told them the features that I wanted on the machine....

That list  was:
E61, HX or Dual boiler, ability to connect to water if I wanted and "maybe" a PID. And I also said I liked the chrome/stainless look of the bigger machines.

I don't know much about espresso machines, but I am pretty sure that list knocks you out of all of the machines below 1K so I don't know why they tried to talk me into a $629 machine that had none of the features I said I wanted. Again, not much of a salesperson and I am pretty sure they were distracted by something on their end... didn't seem like they was paying much attention to me.

I have read where other people here in the forum think a lot of the company, so probably just the wrong person to have answering the phone.
MonkeyK

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Aeropress, Bunn Phase Brew
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 5:25pm

Not an HX vs DB thing, but I find it difficult to pull a shot and steam at the same time on a semi-automatic.  Ambitextrous multitaskers probably would not have problems.
That's part of the reason that I bought a Vivaldi.
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 5:53pm

Are you running a cafe? I've have never felt the need to steam and pull a shot at the same time at home. (And funny enough, I also own a Vivaldi).

Like texting and driving, don't take your eyes off what really matters. If you aren't watching your shot progress and cutting it off at the right time, you're probably making less than optimal espresso.

As long as the steam pressure is consistant and ready when your shot stops, that's more than enough.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 5:59pm

Endo Said:

Are you running a cafe? I've have never felt the need to steam and pull a shot at the same time at home. (And funny enough, I also own a Vivaldi)..

No... personal use only. I just know I steam milk a couple of times a day and, while I agree I probably would not make coffee and steam milk at the same time, I think it would save time if I could start steaming milk as soon as the shot was done. I figure over a period of years, it would be worth the convenience. I never had the ability to steam and make coffee in the past with the machines I have owned and the time I have waited to steam milk is definitely not a good thing.
Bgosselin

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 6:26pm

Brewing and steaming at the same time is all the fun.  I do it all the time.  Easier on the Vivaldi with it's programmable boutons but also fun on with a E61 brew head machine.

Just check how big the boiler is on the heat exchange. A 1.8 liter will do really well steaming.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > HX vs Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.470992088318)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+