Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Swapping out the BDB
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Swapping out the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Super Domobar,...
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 1:06pm
Subject: Re: Swapping out the BDB

If the 4th machine does fail I can easily recommend the Vibiemme machines. If you are seriously looking at somehting that can last a lifetime and be passed on to the next generation.  My Super Domobar is built like  a tank compared to other E61's that I have seen and used. The ability to switch from tank to tankless at any time is also a real plus.  Temp stability is really good as well even though its an HX.  The dealer that sold it to me could have sold me the DB model but he told me that it wasn't necessary and so I took his advice even though I could have paid more for the DB + PID. The group head is massive and everything is top notch quality. Theres no extras to buy such as hoses/connect kits and expensive timers like the Vivaldi.  I bought a heavy duty digital timer for $15 and its been fabulous.
 View Profile Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 4:59pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Dude, TonyVan was being a poet jokester.  It was priceless Tony.  If I was not married I would propose to you, Tony,  just for that... well and your espresso machine.

Posted September 21, 2012 link

Thanks for the clarification because apparently I don't click in to quick! The sad reality is that I could even imagine that being the case...

and the vibiemme has been on my radar. next trip into the city I am going to make it a point to sit down with an Hx and see what she can do.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 10:30am

The breville is slick I will give you that, I tested one at Clive's.  But you know I am an old school kinda gal and I am glad I got my HX as not shiny as he is I know he is robust and I love he is portable!

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 9:35am

SO I had my friend the electrician in. Here is the updated info:

My outlet, cord and 15 amp breaker are in order and can handle the 1700W appliance.

In Golden we are at the end of the power line and thus more sensitive to power surges which can scramble electronics. he does suggest surge protection. What I have learned, which many of you probably already know, is that power bars can only take so many surges and then no longer offer surge protection so for the protection of electronic they need to be updated every so often.

The simpler solution for all my electronics and appliances will be to install a "whole house" surge protector on the box. After that I will keep the machine on it's own outlet. after that, the "surge" explanation would be eliminated. there should be no problem for the machine to receive adequate power either.

At least that should all be sorted no matter what machine I ultimately use and unless there is some other kind of weird voodoo that I am emitting then I will take the "operator" out of the equation.

opinions from those that actually understand electricity?

And machine no. 4 has arrived....
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:32am

That does sound plausible, and whole house surge protection would protect all those other appliances that you don't particularly think of as having an electronic brain in (oven, washer, heating timer, etc. etc.).  I suspect that being on the end of the line, you'd also be more sensitive to undervoltage situations, particularly when everyone's air con kicks in at once.
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:35pm

I would call BC hydro and explain the situation. They should foot the bill for a line conditioner. Your paying for relatively clean power which they are not providing.

Oh yea. Good luck with #4. I would go for a la spazialle v2 if i had 3k to play with.
DaveS

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 7:45pm

Surge protection on the whole house is a good idea but bear in mind that only deals with big fluctuations like a lightning strike or power going out and back on. That will kill an appliance instantly but what finishes them over time is continual small spikes that a whole house protection won't save you from.  I would get a surge suppressor for the machine at the wall as well - the good ones will tell you when they are no longer providing protection with a flashing light or better an alarm if the socket is hidden behind the machine.
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 9:58am

DaveS Said:

Surge protection on the whole house is a good idea but bear in mind that only deals with big fluctuations like a lightning strike or power going out and back on. That will kill an appliance instantly but what finishes them over time is continual small spikes that a whole house protection won't save you from.  I would get a surge suppressor for the machine at the wall as well - the good ones will tell you when they are no longer providing protection with a flashing light or better an alarm if the socket is hidden behind the machine.

Posted September 27, 2012 link

Thanks for that. This whole experience is stuff that I have never considered before. Generally I have not had difficulty with any of my appliances except the DBD. so questions come up:

Is the DBD more sensitive than other appliances and/or espresso machines? or is this a potential problem that is emerging with increased reliance on "computer brains"?

What are other coffeegeeks doing to protect their machine regardless of brand? I haven't seen or heard of the "brain scrambling" issue come up so either machines are designed for standard electrical systems in north america  or people are taking specific measures to protect their machines?

So, surge protection on the box for big surges, machine plugged into it's own outlet in the kitchen which will straight power with reduced effect from other appliance use (hopefully this controls both getting enough power as well as not getting too much power). And my next consideration may be device specific surge protection against the daily smaller surges (I'll clear that with Breville since they are saying not to use power strips).

anyway, enough rambling. My question is: what are other coffeegeeks doing regarding your power supply to your machine and why?
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 10:30am

JohnLyn Said:

... My question is: what are other coffeegeeks doing regarding your power supply to your machine and why?

Posted October 2, 2012 link

Once again, I will say that I use this: Click Here (www.tripplite.com)
Starting at about $21 on Amazon.

"Surge suppression rated at 1410 joules/48,000 amps offers high-grade protection. Diagnostic LEDs confirm power availability, line fault and protection status. $10,000 Ultimate Lifetime connected equipment Insurance (USA and Canada Only). PLUG/OUTLETS: Input - NEMA 5-15P; Output - 2 NEMA5-15R ELECTRICAL: 120V AC, 50/60Hz, 15A (Requires NEMA 5-15R wall receptacle) SUPPRESSION: AC: 140V RMS Clamping/1410 joules/48,000 amps FORMAT: Direct plug-in, receptacle mount form factor"

I had another company's unit that was greatly inferior, it melted down, and could easily have caused a fire. That is discussed in chapter 132 on my website's blog. Worth a read.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 10:38pm

thanks for that Randy. would love to hear others reply as well....

Whole house surge protection in, new machine in on a medium duty 3 meter extension cord into dedicated outlet for the Machine. Not using a surge protection at the outlet, although I buy the point made previously only because Breville is advising against the use of a a power strip. We'll see...

WISH ME LUCK!!
showing page 4 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Swapping out the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438148975372)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+