Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
need advice on a new machine
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > need advice on a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 5:47am
Subject: Re: need advice on a new machine

The L-1 is pretty small in case size and only the lever sticks up to high.

I was unaware that the Group on the L-1 was custom made; I thought it was a Bosco Group.   Pretty nice machine AND it has a tank option, but none of the L-1's have a drained drip tray....  

The height (with lever) was what stopped me , so I got the GS/3, but in retrospect I should have put a lever machine in front of a kitchen window or on a cooking island/peninsula near the stove.  

The sacrifices one makes for good brew is shocking :-)
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 4:22pm

BLrdFX Said:

The L-1 is pretty small in case size and only the lever sticks up to high.

Posted November 18, 2012 link

Best to read up on the specs.

BLrdFX Said:

I was unaware that the Group on the L-1 was custom made; I thought it was a Bosco Group.

Actually, I'm wrong on this... Please accept my apology.. I meant to say the cabinet is custom made, not the brew group.

BLrdFX Said:

none of the L-1's have a drained drip tray....

Nothing that can't be fixed with a drill and a fitting. Although, I will admit that it would be nice if the manufacturer supported that right out of the box, considering how expensive the machine is!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 4:34pm

Getting back to what Kray mentioned, sorry for the late reply... I don't think he has unlimited budget.

Kray, you never really mentioned this.. What was your budget?

Are you going to stick with running off of reservoir and a vibration pump? Is HX vs DB important to you? Your choices involve one of each.

The QM67 is probably the second lowest priced double boiler on the market, next to the Breville Double Boiler. The Rocket, if you can find support for it or a local
retailer, is also a good choice from what I've heard.

Both of these machines from what I've heard are fairly decent machines..

If you can afford going to a double boiler machine and you don't want to have to have to do cooling flushes, the QM67 does offer good value for the money, as long
as you can live with using a Vibratory pump.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 4:39pm

Qualin:

You are correct, the budget is a very dictating factor in selecting a machine, and yes, the lever machines require more square feet than something like the Rancillio Silvia.  I was referring to the L-1 being pretty small compared to other spring lever machines, not small compared to the average single boiler vibe pump machine.

I wish Kray well in his search for something that fits his budget and will last a long time.

Cheers!

Stephen
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > need advice on a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.407710075378)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+