Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 55 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Mr_Faineant

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 11:25am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

slybarman Said:

Does Buddy brew have brew parameters posted somewhere?

Posted September 18, 2012 link

I don't think they have the parameters posted, no. Drop them an email and im sure they'll give you some guidance. I don't get too technical with it...fill the basket with a very fine ground, tamp lightly and aim for around a 25 second pull. I go by the color of the output, ending when it gets pale, and adjust the grind accordingly for the next one.
 View Profile Link to this post
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 11:33am

Slybarman, I am curious as to how long you keep beans in the freezer and still get the taste you desire.  My issue with bean freshness is that I am the only coffee drinker in the house.  If I liked straight espresso more, I would use the coffee quicker.  However, being a latte drinker, I need to be a little cautious about the milk consumption as it doesn't look so good on the mid section!  :-)

I've been practicing with steaming milk like a mad scientist (so sure I'm just on the brink of a brilliant discovery and yet . . .  still so far away).  I think I need to try some other brands of milk and see where that leads. . .
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 11:37am

cruizie Said:

Slybarman, I am curious as to how long you keep beans in the freezer and still get the taste you desire.  My issue with bean freshness is that I am the only coffee drinker in the house.  If I liked straight espresso more, I would use the coffee quicker.  However, being a latte drinker, I need to be a little cautious about the milk consumption as it doesn't look so good on the mid section!  :-)

I've been practicing with steaming milk like a mad scientist (so sure I'm just on the brink of a brilliant discovery and yet . . .  still so far away).  I think I need to try some other brands of milk and see where that leads. . .

I freeze for several months. I doubt I have gone much over four months yet. I also vacuum seal before I freeze. Many have argued that vacuum sealing with a home sealer does no good, but I think it helps. Here is a good article on the subject of freezing:

http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 11:40am

Mr_Faineant Said:

I don't think they have the parameters posted, no. Drop them an email and im sure they'll give you some guidance. I don't get too technical with it...fill the basket with a very fine ground, tamp lightly and aim for around a 25 second pull. I go by the color of the output, ending when it gets pale, and adjust the grind accordingly for the next one.

I am surprised by the number of roasters that are recommending pulling their coffee as fairly tight ristrettos. I have liked the taste of some that way, but not others.

In the absence of further guidance I go with my usual 17-18g dose and 200 degrees. I tend to like more mellow chocolate and nut flavors much more than bright, fruitty, high-acid flavors. I find slightly cooler and longer shots tend to taste better to me.
Mr_Faineant

Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 2:59pm

slybarman Said:

I tend to like more mellow chocolate and nut flavors much more than bright, fruitty, high-acid flavors.

Then I'm sure you'll enjoy Double Dog. It is not at all fruity, but very dark chocolatey.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 4:55pm

Thanks. I ordered a pound today and I will report back - probably over the weekend.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 1:48pm

They ship fast. Double dog arrived today. Smells good.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 4:44am

John:

Thumbs up on Double Dog. The smell in the bag, the look in the cup and the taste are all pretty reminiscent to me of Redline - when Redline is good. That is a good thing because I think Redline is wonderful when it is on. I only made one cup so far. I was a little fast and over temp, so I will play with it some more over the weekend. I think I could get better flavor from it still. It does have that same velvety finish that Redline has as well.

two photos below -one in the cup before milk and one after. Nice Rosetta . . . not! Ah well, thankfully the pour doesn't change the taste. :)

If the site supported decent size photos you might see the nice spotting in the crema in the first photo. Just pretend you can see it.

Steve

slybarman: 2012-09-22 08.14.55.jpg
(Click for larger image)
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 4:45am

Ugh - I forgot this site only supports one tiny photo per post.

slybarman: 2012-09-22 08.15.35.jpg
(Click for larger image)
mnz

Grinder: Nemox Lux
Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 11:30pm

Hello everyone!

I am a 46 year old espresso nut in Stockholm, Sweden, who just moved up from an Ascaso Dream to the Cuadra. I bought mine used from someone who had it for four years and pulled a total of about 20 shots from it... My grinder is a Nemox Lux.

During the week that has passed since I bought the machine I have had the time of my life practicing my cooling flushes, pulling shots, steaming milk and reading through this thread. Many thanks to you all for all the great information you share! I am learning a lot.

After some initial dialing in of the grinder, learning how to cool flush, distribute and tamp, I manage to produce some pretty decent espresso and cappuccino. Just for fun I made a video, hope you like it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZce31eF7Vk
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 55 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.487977981567)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+