Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Not getting good results with superauto
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Not getting good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 7:27pm
Subject: Re: Not getting good results with superauto

kschendel Said:

I doubt that the J5 brews all that much better than your ENA, although I suppose it's possible.

Posted September 27, 2012 link

I think the guts are the same... but you have a rotating spout and a nicer frother

The results seemed to be very repeatable when I was using the Elemental 228. When using the SB brand, I was always hoping I couldn't repeat it.   :)

I bought the J4 because of the good reviews I found for it and the fact that it wouldn't take up a lot of room on the counter. I used to use (more than 5 years ago) a manual espresso machine and a grinder. I didn't mind the manual part so much but seemed like I always got coffee grounds all over the place. I was really attracted to the idea of having an automatic. I was regretting buying it a few days ago, but I actually had a few latte's that were really good once I got some decent beans in the hopper. I don't think I would ever be a coffee taste judge, so I might be quite happy with it. I know that a lot of people here are not impressed with the autos, but at the same time I read on sites like Amazon where a lot of people love them. Maybe not all of us have a palate refined enough to tell the difference. We will see.

As for the draw time, I was timing a Monza on an online video and it looked to me that they were getting a standard 1 oz in about 20 seconds... since I thought the expected time by the connoisseurs was closer to 28 seconds, I was a little surprised. I hope I don't get the fever... because if I do, I will probably own a $2500.00 automatic. Probably don't need it.
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 7:45pm

DeanOK Said:

Does SB's use the dark espresso roast in their machines?

Burn the holly living sh** of coffee beans and they pretty much all taste the same store to store state to state.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 8:14pm

jwoodyu Said:

Burn the holly living sh** of coffee beans and they pretty much all taste the same store to store state to state.

Hmmm... Nitrites cause cancer. Burnt stuff has nitrites. Burnt things containing nitrite are bitter and unpleasant. Starbucks is bitter, unpleasant and burnt, so it follows that Starbucks contains nitrites. Therefore, Starbucks causes cancer!

So, even if you don't end up with "the fever," good beans are the way to go!

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 8:48pm

DeanOK Said:

Actually, I don't consider the taste to me marginal, I consider the taste to be nasty... it is really bad. So bad that I think I must be doing something wrong in a fundamental way. I usually pour the coffee down the drain.

Posted September 24, 2012 link

Don't beat yourself up.
Even a SA, with excellent beans and a clean grinder should produce drinkable coffee drinks.

Starbucks and the like can be as much as 6 months old in the bag.
First, order some nice espresso blend whole bean from a reputable vendor. Search our Espresso Blends forum for something that looks good.

If that doesn't improve things...can you bypass your built in grinder?

If so, perhaps get a refurb Baratza Preciso, etc and see what that does for you.

To be blunt, most here would testify that a good espresso grinder and a $400-500 machine such as a gaggia, or used Silvia will give you a finished product WAY behind what a SA normally is capable of.
It is what it is.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 4:34pm

Just got off the phone with Jura. At one point last week, I made some coffee that I could at least drink (wasn't bad), but I have thrown most all of the coffee I have made since Saturday down the drain. Some of it was RedBird that was roasted last week and some of it was locally sourced that was less than 2 or 3 weeks old.  I have spent the last 4 days shopping for a new conventional espresso machine, but I would be perfectly happy to make this machine (ENA 4) reach my goals... I am not all that picky I don't think.

Anway, I told Jura that my coffee was weak and bitter and that a 20z shot with flavor set to strong (about 16 grams I think). was taking about 10 to 14 seconds.

Their answer was for me to set the grind to the coarsest setting. They told me it would probably solve my issues.

I did as they said even though it didn't make much sense to me. Draw time is about 15 to 18 seconds now, there is a healthy amount of crema and I can at least drink it. It was a little better, but not what I would call good. They said if I was not happy after I set the grind to do the coarsest setting to clean the machine. I have run about 3 lbs of coffee through the machine in the last 10 days or two weeks so I am not sure I think it needs to be cleaned, but I will do as they say.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 8:41pm

I say try it and if you do not like then you need to return it.  If your temp and pressure are low I believe you want coarser grinds like with a french press.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Not getting good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.608544826508)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+