Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Not getting good results with superauto
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Not getting good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 12:55pm
Subject: Re: Not getting good results with superauto

This shop was only a few miles from my home and, to be honest, I didn't even know it was there. But I got a good feeling when I walked in there after 2PM and it was packed with people drinking coffee (and this is a small town). I talked to the owner and he told me they paid more for Element coffee than some other popular brands because they thought it was worth the price. They were sold out of the  pre-packaged 12 OZ bags if their espresso roast, so he sold me 12 oz out of the bag they were using to run the shop. I noticed that it was roasted on Sept 11th on the bag. It is definitely not as dark of a roast or as oily as the beans I have been using.

I will try my luck and report back. Thanks to everyone for helping me learn my way!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 1:11pm

Lack of charred oil beans and a Roast date is always a good sign and a packed coffee house is not a bad one either.  Good luck.  Maybe you will be pulling shots on a semi again before long...  However, 15 days from roast is not ideal. But should be tons better than what you have been doing.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 4:03pm

Well, we have had two different attempts at a latte since I picked up the new fresher beans that were not as dark as the ones I had been using.

First time I did two 9 gram or so shots with 2 oz of water on each shot. The time was still under 20 seconds per shot with 2 oz of water even though I had the ground as fine as it would go... so I don't think I will ever have a 28 second shot with this machine. This one had a pretty strong initial coffee flavor, and did not have the after taste that I like.  I used 3 0z of steamed 2%.

Second time, I used 9 grams with 3oz of water single shot... this one too does not have the nice aftertaste I was hoping for and it is a weaker cup (of course). I also used 3oz of steamed 2%

The good news is that I don't have that really bitter aftertaste that I had with the other beans.... so can at least drink it... but not there yet.

Thanks all!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 6:16pm

I am telling you bro get someone that will roast and ship same day, it will change your life. I will plug Redbird again. Fresher beans will slow that drawn down a bit and give you more of what your looking for but probably not all. You will need to let the super fresh ones degas a bit and there are lots of threads on freezing. I really have to believe good beans 6 or 7 days post roast will be that same step forward again.

Then you will want a grinder and a different machine in short Oder but that is a different story

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 6:28pm

jwoodyu Said:

I am telling you bro get someone that will roast and ship same day, it will change your life. I will plug Redbird again. Fresher beans will slow that drawn down a bit and give you more of what your looking for but probably not all. You will need to let the super fresh ones degas a bit and there are lots of threads on freezing. I really have to believe good beans 6 or 7 days post roast will be that same step forward again.

Then you will want a grinder and a different machine in short Oder but that is a different story

Posted September 24, 2012 link

I ordered redbird as I don't think it will hurt to try anything...

All I really know about coffee is that I used to make lattes and cappuccinos in the old days with a manual espresso maker and a burr grinder and I loved the results. But it has been a long time ago and I don't remember much about the details... I think I used either one or two 2oz shots with 4 ounces of steamed milk for most of the drinks I made, but I am not sure but I tend to think I used one shot since  the ratio of 1/3 espresso to 2/3rd milk seems to be pretty common.

Now that I have bought this automatic, I cant seem to get any results that I like.  I have the machine set up now for my coffee in the morning. I will use 16 grams of coffee on the finest ground it will make while using 2oz of water, and 4 ounces of steamed milk.

The coffee I bought today that was roasted on the 11th is definitely closer to what I want, but not there yet. I am not sure I will ever get the taste I am looking for, but I will keep trying for a while. I guess I can always go back to grinding my own and using a manual machine, but I didn't really want to do that.
Mandheling

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Instantaneo
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 2:41am

DeanOK Said:

First time I did two 9 gram or so shots with 2 oz of water on each shot.

DeanOK Said:

Second time, I used 9 grams with 3oz of water single shot... this one too does not have the nice aftertaste I was hoping for and it is a weaker cup (of course).

Forgive me if I'm getting my US to Metric conversions wrong (I usually do), but it strikes me that you're using a lot of water for a single shot... 2oz would be lungo in my book (unless you're making a double shot, but 9g of coffee suggests a single to me) and 3oz would be off the scale for the same amount...

As everyone else has said, fresher beans are always better and it sounds like you're making good progress on that front!

DeanOK Said:

I will use 16 grams of coffee on the finest ground it will make while using 2oz of water

How long is it taking to pull a shot using these settings? Are you getting any closer to 25-30 seconds?

Simon
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 4:04am

Simon:

I agree on the amount of water, but I am kind of graping at straws trying to figure out why I cant get a decent taste.

This morning, I used 16 grams of the finest grind the machine would do (still seems a little course to me), and 2 oz of water and 4 oz of steamed milk along with 1 oz of torani pumpkin spice flavoring.  All I can say is it wasn't very good. I thought it tasted a little weak and failed to have the desired aftertaste. I meant to time the time it took but to be honest I forgot to. I can tell you it was no where close to 25 or 360 seconds...maybe 15 seconds. I say 16 grams because the choices are weak mild and strong on the dial and the manufacturer says that strong is about 16 grams.

Got an email from Redbird last night that they were roasting and shipping today, so I will give that a try when it gets here.

I have had this machine a year and I have spent an enormous amount of time and poured a lot of coffee down the drain. I don't think I am a very picky coffee drinker and I feel that this machine should be able to put out a decent shot. The fact that my unsophisticated pallet cant find anything it likes from this machine scares me because I have read a lot of reviews that indicate that people like the machine and the quality of coffee it delivers.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 4:06am

DeanOK Said:

Simon:
I say 16 grams because the choices are weak mild and strong on the dial and the manufacturer says that strong is about 16 grams.

Posted September 25, 2012 link

That should have been mild, normal, and strong....oops.
Mandheling

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Instantaneo
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 4:59am

DeanOK Said:

I agree on the amount of water, but I am kind of graping at straws trying to figure out why I cant get a decent taste.

Posted September 25, 2012 link

I've never used a super-auto so I'm really not an expert, but if you're using fresh coffee and maintained the machine according to the handbook it might be worth contacting the manufacturer for advice? I assume you bought it new?

Simon
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 6:38am

DeanOK Said:

All I really know about coffee is that I used to make lattes and cappuccinos in the old days with a manual espresso maker and a burr grinder and I loved the results.

Not to be "that guy," but maybe it's time to go back to the old days?

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Not getting good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.48484992981)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+