Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Oscar Saga Continues: Backflush Explosion
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Oscar Saga...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 6:28pm
Subject: Re: The Oscar Saga Continues: Backflush Explosion

As a heat exchanger machine, what comes out of the group is coming directly out of the reservoir tank, not from the boiler.  There are several tutorials around the web on how to descale an HX, but most of them rely on the machine having a hot water tap, There's a YouTube video on descaling an Oscar that should point the way.
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 4:04am

I just descaled the Oscar. Tons of green copper oxide came out and I flushed the boiler out several times until the hosewater smell went away. I also ran descaler through the brew group and got lots of calcium deposits. So I flushed the entire system with at least three or four tanks of water.

Now the machine is useless. No matter what grind setting I'm at--even the one I had finally dialed in for consistently good extraction--each shot comes gushing out in ten seconds or less, blonding at about seven seconds. I have the $600 grinder. I have the (admittedly used) $1000 machine. I spent the entire evening trying to make a working machine work better and now I'm back to square one. I am really starting to get frustrated and discouraged.

To top it all off, the awful rattling noise never went away and I couldn't identify it, even with the cover off.
GVDub

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 7:53am

First, don't panic. Almost everything in an Oscar is fixable.

Pull the shower screen and dispersion block and check that the scale coming out of the heat exchanger didn't clog one or two of the ports in the dispersion block. One or two blocked apertures in the dispersion block will drastically increase the pressure coming through the others and cause channeling. Check your puck for signs (like pencil lead sized holes in the top of the puck) of that sort of channeling.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 7:59am

GVDub Said:

First, don't panic ...

Posted September 25, 2012 link

I must get that as a cover for my Kindle. LOL

NobbyR: Don't Panic.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
GVDub

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 8:09am

NobbyR Said:

I must get that as a cover for my Kindle. LOL

Personally, I tend more towards the Bene Gesserit litany from Dune "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

A little bit long for a bumper sticker, though. :-)
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 8:24am

"Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"
- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

That would fit onto a bumper sticker.  ;-)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 9:12am

Markarian Said:

Now the machine is useless. No matter what grind setting I'm at--even the one I had finally dialed in for consistently good extraction--each shot comes gushing out in ten seconds or less, blonding at about seven seconds..

Sounds like loose scale has clogged the pressure relief valve and so the brew pressure is exceedingly high. Because the Oscar has no pressure gauge, that is difficult to deal with unless you get (or build) a portafilter-mounted gauge.

In hindsight, proper maintenance on a regular basis is highly recommended for everyone. Additionally, knowing the quality of your water helps in creating a maintenance schedule. Using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals GH+KH test kit. For about $10. Alkalinity and general hardness both have to be present to form scale. This test will measure those two things.  It can also be used to check the effectiveness of your treatment regime, such as deciding when the softener cartridge needs to be replaced or recharged.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:34am

I agree with them, don't panic everything can be fixed.  I know it is hard when you are first learning the machine and you have issues like this.  I was there not that long ago.  It probably is a clog of scale that got loose in descaling. This is a risk on any machine when you descale. Kinda like opening up a wall on a 100 year old house.... no telling what you will find.   After rinsing the group and screen and stuff if your pressure is not better then I would start checking the valves.  This issue is why the pros take the machine apart for deep cleaning, the gunk goes in a bucket and not your hoses. Something I plan to do in the next few months.

And when I do, I will document it for everyone to see.  I plan to add the vacuum breaker and maybe a hole in the case and a hose to drain my boiler without removing it.  I don't want to take it apart again till I can do all that work at the same time.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 1:14pm

I had taken out the diffuser block and shower screen and cleaned them both thoroughly before putting the machine back into commission. I am noticing a LOT of channeling around the sides of the puck. I tried dosing a bit higher (21.5g) and I got a slightly better shot, but I can't get past 20 seconds before it blonds heavily and I have to cut it off. At this point, most of my shots are turning to water within ten seconds. I tried dosing down to 18.5 (since it's supposed to be an 18g basket) and it didn't help. I got channeling in the center. I hate speculating, but it does feel like the brew pressure has changed dramatically, and I can't seem to dial in my grind or technique to compensate for it.

I really appreciate all the encouragement, I really do. But there's a point where I don't have time to mess with this stuff anymore. I'm a full-time student and I also chair a non-profit so that's keeping me pretty busy. During the summer, I got into espresso, but during the schoolyear, I need a machine that just works. I don't want a superauto, and I had gotten comfortable in grinding and tamping my own shots and I was doing fine until I decided to do this big descale last night. Learning how to drive took me months of practice as a teenager but I mastered it and can get from point A to point B, but I still don't expect to tear my engine apart when something goes wrong. I feel like I got sold a lemon and that I'm paying for the sins and neglect of the former owners (who obviously had no idea how to take care of this machine), and I'm starting to lean toward putting this one back on CL and getting a new Oscar that I KNOW will be well-maintained. Either that, or bringing it into NS downtown and telling them "Just make the damn thing work right." Maybe I am missing something obvious, but it's hard to believe that after getting cleaned up this machine would perform far worse than before I decided to give it some love.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 1:42pm

Once you get past this I believe you will be pleased with your machine. I really don't believe it is a lemon, I believe there is a tiny grain of scale blocking something.  

That is why they recommend pipe sealant goo over pipe tape, because a small thing like a broken off bit of tape can clog up the works.  I really think you can work through this.  Just start at one end and check everything.  Maybe, wait till a day you have time, or the weekend to take it apart. Take lots of photos to help when you put it back together.  I wished you lived closer I would be happy to help you. I have pretty much dismantled mine all the way in the last 10 months.  Oscar is a tank.  It has a blocked something that probably just needs cleaning.  Once you get that fixed you should be fine.  Can you make a video and post so we can hear it?  The main thing is once this thing is humming along it will be very reliable.  Don't get discouraged, you can do this, I did.  I am not a handy guy, or even a guy.

You have it fixed for you, you will not learn anything like you will fixing it yourself.  The costs will be high.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Oscar Saga...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.437174081802)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+