Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gift for my wife - which machine
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gift for my wife...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Sysmik

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 8:02pm
Subject: Gift for my wife - which machine

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an espresso machine for my wife.  this will be is first one.   She's a big fan of "Latte".  The machine will be use usually one time a day to do 1 or 2 cup.  

Presently, In my price range, I can get online the :

-  RAncilio Silvia
- GAggia Baby Twin or Classic
- Crossland CC1

So, what would be the best machine for her?   Is there other machine that I should look for?

thanks a lot
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 8:46pm
Subject: Re: Gift for my wife - which machine

I think the first question is what are you intending to get for a grinder? No machine can make good espresso from pre-ground coffee or improperly ground coffee. However, a less than ideal machine will make better coffee when paired with a decent grinder. If your budget only stretches to machine and not grinder at the moment, she'll most likely get frustrated with the results. Read the threads in the grinder forum on selecting and purchasing a grinder. You can never go wrong by purchasing a grinder that you will grow into.

Secondly, since you say she likes lattes, you'll need a machine that switches fairly easily between pulling shots and steaming milk. While I don't have specific hands-on experience with any of the machines you list, I can say that my experience with SBDU (single boiler, dual use) machines when trying to make milk-based coffee beverages like lattes and cappuccinos has been characterized more by frustration than anything else. The CC1, at least, has a separate steam system, so should be faster and easier to use for milk drinks.

Then, the bigger question is just how much time and effort is she willing to put into learning how to use whatever machine gets purchased. If she's interested, consider getting her a training class on how to use the machine.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 9:18pm

Excellent advise from George.
All these machines are plenty good for making lattes from a quality standpoint, in that they all have decent steaming capabilities.
The Crossland can get you there faster.

If you figure a proper espresso grinder (new or refurb) at around $250-$300...YES, that's right, the Gaggia will be the cheapest espresso machine from there.
The Crossland is newer technology, built by a well respected guy.
The Silvia, even with it's quirks is a solid, well known and supported machine will many happy users.

The lag time for the Gaggia and Silvia from pulling the shot to steaming is around 1;30 to 2 minutes, I believe. I may be wrong here, as I've only had an HX machine (Heat Exchanger) and my present manual lever.
As mentioned, the Crossland has a separate steam facility.I believe it is a thermoblock, not an actual boiler.

Not mentioned is the Breville DB, which is a double boiler at a HX price.
Heat exchanger machines allow a shot pull and steaming at the same time. They run $999 and up.
The NS Oscar may be the best bang for the buck in HX's. Interestingly, the Breville is I believe only a couple hundred more and has advanced features.
However, it is only about 1 year in production, so time will tell about it's reliability.

Personally, I'd go fora Baratza Preciso Grinder (refurbed from  Baratza, (same warranty about $250), used Rancillio Rocky ($200-$225).
I also look for a refurbed or pre-owned NS Oscar. Folks often will "upgrade" every few years, though the Oscar is, for many their last machine.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 9:27pm

As has been said, and will be said (and can be read over and over), the grinder is critical in the equation- even more important than the espresso machine. Please re-evaluate the budget based on that.

Any three of those machines can serve your needs. The CC1 will be faster going from brewing espresso to steaming the milk, but that is a factor only if the total preparation time is critical (like early in the AM, heading to work). If time is not important and budget is, a Gaggia is a good choice (like the "Baby" or the "Espresso" for around paired with something like the Baratza Vario. It is a very capable grinder and can serve even if, in the future, if an upgrade is contemplated.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 9:38pm

As has been said, CC1 is really nice. The thermo block allows for fast steaming and switching back to brew vs the other single boilers. Plus you get the stability and full control of the integrated PID. I've been very impressed by this machine. Integrated PID is well worth it, makes it easy to adjust pre-infusion, temp etc...otherwise you'll have to learn how to temp surf on the others which is annoying and not near as accurate. If I want to pull a shot at 199 or 203 degrees, piece of cake. When you start experimenting with beans its pretty crazy the effect temps have on taste.
Sysmik

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 10:57am

Hi, Thanks for the comments.

I will look for the NS Oscar.  But from the comments and the more I read, in the three that I have list, the CC1 seems to be the one.

The budget was for the machine alone.   I will also pick a good grinder.  THanks for the suggestion.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 12:01pm

I like my Oscar and I don't want an upgrade after 10 months.  I think I am getting pretty awesome shots.  I did not want to upgrade as soon as I figured out what I was doing as I read so many here wanted after buying a low end starter machine. So, after much research, I decided for my budget and needs that an Oscar filled the bill.  You can find a good deal on used ones if you are handy.  Mine was my Christmas gift, that I picked out and fixed up. (but I am a strange girl)

Things your wife might find nice about Oscar over the shiny stainless brothers and sisters: No burn surface, plastic bread bags will not melt on it;  portable, good for parties; easier to clean and doesn't show water spots; can be painted any color to match her decor.  My mean husband will not let me paint mine.... but one day he might come home to a blue espresso machine.... Maybe with glitter... or copper.... or red...

I also like my grinder with him.  There are at least 3 other people on the board with my same set up.  Used Oscar and new Vario W is right at the 1k mark.  For tea and hot water I use the steam wand to heat/boil the water right in the mug I do that rather than pull water off the tank.  That gives me control over how hot the water is also.  

I was impressed with the CC1 when I saw it and met Bill at the show.  However, I am happy with my purchase. If I get something else it will probably be a lever machine in the distant future and I would still use Oscar for parties.  I think it is great I can pick him up and do family events with him.  Something I would never do with a shiny new stainless machine.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gift for my wife...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.439615011215)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+